Originally Posted by TONY-NOVA Go to original post
    would you be for or against implementing other games trademarks or gimmicks into Ghost Recon. Let's not discuss gear score because at this point most agree that it shouldn't be in a tactical shooter but how about The Division's rappelling and sticky cover? Assassin's Creed's parkour and rooftop hopping? Watch Dogs character swapping and technology? Not real familiar with Far Cry but I've seen Youtube videos showcasing companions that were able to drive you to a location and were pretty good at it. I'm sure you guys can elaborate on more stuff that I missed. It's just for shi7s and giggles because right now the forums are more entertaining then the game.
    The "Division's" cover system is from Future Soldier and previous games. They shouldn't have let that mechanic fade away through Wildlands and Breakpoint. It would be a madness implement that system on a truly open world game, with vehicles and forest areas. I think The Division's small open areas would fit perfectly to a Ghost Recon game, with that cover system, plus forest areas with less limitation that we have on the other Tom Clancy's franshise.

Mars388502's Avatar Senior Member
    -Parkours in a GR entry? I sincerely don't find it fitting.
    -Cover system, I personnally find it rather sticky (and even stickier lately) and I think it has become a GR treadmark and something required to be called a tactical shooter. Also if lately I have been questioning the definition of this term in gaming. Some improvements could be interesting as something similar to what CoD modern warfare reboot implemented, the ability to use the side of thresholds to get a more stable shooting position (I don't know what it's called).
    -Rappeling: I have troubles with this mechanic, eventhough it has been requested on numerous occasions for a few reasons:
    •Rappeling technics are used primarly by law enforcement special units in urban areas as a tactical advantage in a few, very specific scenarii
    •As wrote here above, is essentially and primarly used in urban areas
    •Armed forces personal are trained to used those technics in the sense of the saying "better to have it and don't needed, than need it and don't have have it".
    •Rappeling from a stationary helicopter is indeed not only insanely cool indeed but it has the advantage of being a quick insertion technic. Something, that I wonder in the same spectrum is as an extraction method, in the sens of using a under hull "extraction net" (something developped by the GIGN) and a grape extraction, when the aircraft doesn't touches down and the chalk members attaches themselves to rope before the aircraft takes altitude.

Ragarding helicopters, I have be toying with a stupid idea lately (well, since wildlands actually): heavy lifters helicopters and vehicle transport capability. As a tactical options for transporting land and sea vehicle to the designated mission area. This is an insane and highly complicated thing to implement and still have difficulties formulating it in a proper way myself.

Originally Posted by ArgimonEd Go to original post
    Well let's say in the next GR we have the following vest's as options:
    AVS
    JPC 2
    SPC (Crye's)
    CIRAS
    A regular level IIIa low vis carrier
    Chest rigs.
    Now, you can select the AVS and the type of plate (III or IV) but also select if you want groin, neck and shoulder protection.
    The same goes for the CIRAS (But the CIRAS would weight more than AVS armored up, because the CIRAS has a bigger IIIa panel, offering a bit more protection than the full armored AVS but restricting your mobility a bit more)
    But with the JPC 2 and SPC you only have the option between selecting the plates.
    (This would be similar to both the division 2, but in a way that makes more sense, drawing a huge inspiration to R6 vegas).
    As much as I like the idea of not only choosing my plate carrier (PC), the extra step of choosing what kind of plate I would like to use could be daunting for other players and a simpler version (also because I have doubts about how much reasearch the dev team is able to do) could be implemented.

Using a much more simple version based upon the level of ballistic protection:

Lvl1: Non ballistic protection, this includes all chest rigs and vests and their weight is determined by the number of equipment pouches (this applies to the other protection too)
    Lvl2: Front and back plate, like Crye AVS (from this point on the ballistic protection have their own weight that directly impact gameplay, by their stamina depletion)
    Lvl3: Front, back and side plates, like a Condor PC
    Lvl4: heavy plate carrier with front, back, side, groin and shoulder ballistic protection

Once again, as much as I like the idea, I believe the less it's detailed the better the chances are to see it implemented in future iterations.

but how about The Division's rappelling and sticky cover? Assassin's Creed's parkour and rooftop hopping? Watch Dogs character swapping and technology?
    I've been avoiding this thread mainly because I believe that Ghost Recon should be a "realistic" title.
    When I mean "realistic" I mean that vault jump, climbing and even parachuting from virtual backpacks don't belong to it.
    Such things I enjoy in "entertainment" games such Far Cry and Just Cause.
    Just my 2 cents.

Not real familiar with Far Cry but I've seen Youtube videos showcasing companions that were able to drive you to a location and were pretty good at it.
    Yeah, they can even fly helicopters, just like NPCs in BP can. Like I said in another post, the intelligence is there, for some reason our team mates were capped.
     1 people found this helpful

TONY-NOVA's Avatar Senior Member
    I've always been a big proponent of a weight system where the more gear you have on the louder, clumsier, and less mobile you would be. I cringe every time I see our characters climbing walls in full battle rattle. However, I can see a stealth type of character set up with a light loadout performing parkour. Doesn't have to be acrobatic with flourishes but very simple like vaulting and traversing. Think Sam Fisher. He's pretty nimble for his old age and it doesn't take away too much from the suspension of disbelief. I can also see how implementing this can promote more solo stealth type of game play, a style in which Breakpoint is already adopting.

ArgimonEd's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Mars388502 Go to original post
    -Parkours in a GR entry? I sincerely don't find it fitting.
    -Cover system, I personnally find it rather sticky (and even stickier lately) and I think it has become a GR treadmark and something required to be called a tactical shooter. Also if lately I have been questioning the definition of this term in gaming. Some improvements could be interesting as something similar to what CoD modern warfare reboot implemented, the ability to use the side of thresholds to get a more stable shooting position (I don't know what it's called).
    -Rappeling: I have troubles with this mechanic, eventhough it has been requested on numerous occasions for a few reasons:
    •Rappeling technics are used primarly by law enforcement special units in urban areas as a tactical advantage in a few, very specific scenarii
    •As wrote here above, is essentially and primarly used in urban areas
    •Armed forces personal are trained to used those technics in the sense of the saying "better to have it and don't needed, than need it and don't have have it".
    •Rappeling from a stationary helicopter is indeed not only insanely cool indeed but it has the advantage of being a quick insertion technic. Something, that I wonder in the same spectrum is as an extraction method, in the sens of using a under hull "extraction net" (something developped by the GIGN) and a grape extraction, when the aircraft doesn't touches down and the chalk members attaches themselves to rope before the aircraft takes altitude.

Ragarding helicopters, I have be toying with a stupid idea lately (well, since wildlands actually): heavy lifters helicopters and vehicle transport capability. As a tactical options for transporting land and sea vehicle to the designated mission area. This is an insane and highly complicated thing to implement and still have difficulties formulating it in a proper way myself.

As much as I like the idea of not only choosing my plate carrier (PC), the extra step of choosing what kind of plate I would like to use could be daunting for other players and a simpler version (also because I have doubts about how much reasearch the dev team is able to do) could be implemented.

Using a much more simple version based upon the level of ballistic protection:

Lvl1: Non ballistic protection, this includes all chest rigs and vests and their weight is determined by the number of equipment pouches (this applies to the other protection too)
    Lvl2: Front and back plate, like Crye AVS (from this point on the ballistic protection have their own weight that directly impact gameplay, by their stamina depletion)
    Lvl3: Front, back and side plates, like a Condor PC
    Lvl4: heavy plate carrier with front, back, side, groin and shoulder ballistic protection

Once again, as much as I like the idea, I believe the less it's detailed the better the chances are to see it implemented in future iterations.
    The thing with this, is that.
    The JPC can use side plates too, as well as the SPC and the AVS.
    And also, ain't at all a hard system.
    Be like R6 vegas you select a vest and press a button that says protection.
    There a slider will appear with the level if protection and another with the level of mobility.
    Will be really similar to the gunsmith, except with vests.
    Maybe they can actually make a vest's Smith? Where you select between heavier or lighter loadouts for different classes and that also affect the weight but gives more ammo.
    People been requesting and if this is complicated, wouldn't they remove the gunsmith also?

Ps: when I said it will be like rainbow six vegas (I meant the slider showing mobility and protection)

Indeed, many plate carriers today have the option to mount side plates. But I have a hard time understanding the system you're describing. I played R6 Vegas, but it was ages ago and it was on Xbox... I should have a look at it.

"People been requesting and if this is complicated, wouldn't they remove the gunsmith also?" I believe you and I have a fairly good understanding of how some equipment work, but it's not the case of everyone. This was my point.

On a side note, I find the those 3 last lines pretty unfair from you to assume that I ever intended such thing.

I'm sorry, Mars.
    But which 3 last lines?

These 3:
    "People been requesting and if this is complicated, wouldn't they remove the gunsmith also?"

But I didn't assume or said you intended it.
    I said it myself if the vest's Smith is complicated.
    The gunsmith is just as much.
    And they aren't.
    You select a plate, you see a stat bar graph changing, showing a little more protection and a little less mobility, like it does now, for guns and attachments.
    Like it would for your suggestion.
    The same level of complexity.
    The difference is mine is more comprehensive