Far_Cry2_Fan's Avatar Member

Help recovering saved files please.

Due to a hardware issue now fixed, my PC crashed several times and finally became corrupt enough to warrant a reinstall of Windows 10.

I expected Ubisoft knew my games and progress, but wanted to make sure I had a fallback if that failed,

The last image I have is from November 2020, but that's good enough for me, so I reloaded Windows expecting all I'd have to do is download Ubisoft Connect and each game, then fetch the old savegames from the image and keep going.

So I did so, and downloaded Far Cry 5. When I went to launch it It had no old game info at all, so I replaced the samegames (1803 folder) with the old ones, and it ignored the contents and re-wrote them to the "unplayed:" state.

Is there any way I can get the old saves to work?

Ubi-Borealis's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hello there Far_Cry2_Fan!

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost your save data. Would you be able to clarify your post a bit more for me?

I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to by "image." Did you back up your local save files manually on an external hard drive prior to reinstalling Windows? Or have the old saves you moved to the new savegames folder been overwritten to "unplayed?"

Thanks!

Thank you for the response. I use Macrium Reflect to image my machines, but this one I usually only game on the Windows 10 partition, and watch TV and stuff with Media Center on the Windows 7 partition (it's dual boot), so it rarely gets imaged, the others are every week on a set schedule.

So, I don't image it much, but I wanted to be sure and preserve the NewGame+ and whatnot. I had been over level 500 in Arcade for almost a year, and 88th in world-wide rank in kills (576723 in campaign mode).

It appears to be some sort of windows instance ID in the savegame as when I swapped out the new (virgin unplayed) 1.save and 2.save when I launched the game it completely ignored the file and over-wrote the 767KB file with a much smaller "unplayed" file (only option to start a new game no hint of NewGame+, etc.)

I don't really care about the stats, but I sure would like to see it to where the NewGame+ is available.

BTW, if it requires more than just the savegame files, I of course have every other file from the November image readily available.

Ubi-Redbeard's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Thanks for clarifying that.

Were you using cloud saves or local saves for the game?

Nevermind, I played through it once on hard, and got back the NewGame+, currently I'm most of the way through a play on infamous, so I guess I don't really care anymore about restoring.

What I would like to know is, are my November saves incompatible with ubisoft connect? If that is definitely NOT a problem, what other files would need to be restored to return a fresh install to a fully complete game recovery?

So, nobody in Ubisoft support can tell me what files make for a complete save?

Ubi-Thrupney's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hey Far_Cry2_Fan, apologies for the delay in responding.

I'll be happy to explain what to do for next time you need to move some save files around. We have a support article describing where the save files are stored. If you copy those files to another installation, into the same folder, they should work. I've linked the support article below.

https://support.ubisoft.com/Article/...-of-Far-Cry-5/

It could be that the process you used to save the files before your reinstall may have damaged the save files in some way. I'd recommend just saving them manually to somewhere you can retrieve them from after the reinstall, and putting them straight back into the save folder from the article.

Let me know if you've any other questions about this at all.