Regarding Splinter Cell Conviction Server Closure in June 2021

Dear Ubisoft,

As you intend to shut down the servers for Splinter Cell: Conviction in June 2021 can you please confirm to customers that the LAN portion of the game will remain functional? I ask this because it would seem the LAN portion is not LAN in the sense any normal person would establish a LAN game to be but actually still uses your server to negotiate connections even on local networks.

This is further evidenced by two factors.

1. Disconnecting your internet access but having all computers connected to a local network will always result in a conviction servers are unavailable message when attempting to pick LAN. When the status of Ubisoft servers should be entirely irrelevant to my ability to use the game on my own local network. Please do not "customer service" me with some message assuming there is a fault within my network or to go through hoop jumping of playing with firewall and router settings. That simply is not the issue.

2. Analysis of network activity from the conviction_game.exe shows the server failure happens because the game is always trying to make contact with pdc-vm-rdv05.ubisoft.com - most notably so it can initiate a connection via Quazal's proprietary PRUDP protocol. This is the Splinter Cell: Conviction server, yes? This address and the need to connect to it should be unneeded if LAN is what the product claims to offer - Local Area Network and pdc-vm-rdv05.ubisoft.com is not local.

I hope this is answered with a definitive response that players ability to use LAN will not be in ANY way affected by the decision to shut down the servers. I also hope if whomever is reading this from Ubisoft has the diligence to see the request through to the proper teams involved if they do not know the answer as there will be a proper accounting come June 2021 if LAN play is impacted.

I'm certain Ubisoft is not looking for any further bad press since recent entanglements. However, I will have no issue with sharing all sorts of information with outlets such as Kotaku, Polygon, and any other publications that will showcase the mistreatment of Ubisoft towards paying customers of their Splinter Cell games. This includes things such as split-screen being in both Conviction, Blacklist, and even Chaos Theory on PC (not "cut" as Ubisoft suggests, just doesn't have proper xinput handling for multiple controllers), the false advertisement of "LAN" functionality in Conviction, and showing the netcode for Blacklist is very much the same as Conviction showcasing "LAN" play was revoked from PC users of Blacklist for no good reason, and several pieces of content within both games were locked behind uPlay walls despite all the data being present on retail releases.

Here's a sample so you know I'm not talking idle nonsense:
    Right-click and use View Image to see them in full - you'll notice the PC keyboard prompts on both players, showing this isn't an X360.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
    Somebody who has paid you money.
     1 people found this helpful

UPDATE: This "theory" has now been confirmed by Ubisoft support staff directly. SC:C's server closure will mean the end of LAN usage in the game itself (VPN clients such as Radmin, Hamachi, ZeroTier, etc will NOT aid you in any way) as the game is reliant on their servers for local games.

The consultant has advised that my concerns have been passed onto the Splinter Cell team regarding both LAN usage and split-screen, as it definitively exists within Chaos Theory, Conviction, and Blacklist - as shown in the pictures above.

At this time, I am hopeful that the team will respond and resolve these issues prior to the server closure. If this does not happen then the issue will be proceeded with to the fullest extent of consumer law until satisfaction is gained. Splinter Cell games are developed on PCs therefore there is no viable reason why PC users should be denied features such as split-screen in Conviction and Blacklist once the SC:C servers close and the eventual, future closing of SC:B servers.

I am big thumbs upping this ISSUE, this is disgusting that you cannot use at LEAST a splitscreen multi... I am loving this series and i want to play it offline also... Since i bought it... they just deliberatly turning off the features for pc.

UPDATE: I continue to have a case open with Ubisoft regarding these issues. It did at one stage auto-close on account of there being no response from me after a period of 4 days. So I have vowed to keep the case active every four days until a proper solution is provided or once the servers go dead. All I keep getting are assurances that it'll be passed on as feedback to the Splinter Cell team and to essentially bugger off and wait in the forums for more information.

I'm assuming the support staff are very limited in terms of what help they can offer directly so while frustrating, I have no issue with the "customer service" approach to this issue. They're just doing their job. That doesn't change it isn't an acceptable answer to the questions leveled and I will continue to press the matter until real answers or more optimistically, a solution is provided.

I dont want to burst your bubble but they will do absolutely and utterly nothing. I WISH if they would do this and answer your request, but....

Here is the recipe:
    You pay for a game = YAY YOU ARE NICE But shut up
    You have a problem with a currently new or well paying game = They will do as they fit very rarely asking the community or they will bat an eye on your problems...
    You have complaint and rightful questions/requests = They are s*itting on it and giving you standard answers...."We look in your trouble" "We will pass on the developers" ect ect... in fact they are doing nothing especially if the game has served it purpose. (Everyone payed for it for a while) and they are not care if you are opening 500 ticket...) You are payed for it. You served his purposes.... they dont care anymore...(Just as they dont care about turning off the servers)

Originally Posted by Panther_42 Go to original post
    I dont want to burst your bubble but they will do absolutely and utterly nothing. I WISH if they would do this and answer your request, but....

Here is the recipe:
    You pay for a game = YAY YOU ARE NICE But shut up
    You have a problem with a currently new or well paying game = They will do as they fit very rarely asking the community or they will bat an eye on your problems...
    You have complaint and rightful questions/requests = They are s*itting on it and giving you standard answers...."We look in your trouble" "We will pass on the developers" ect ect... in fact they are doing nothing especially if the game has served it purpose. (Everyone payed for it for a while) and they are not care if you are opening 500 ticket...) You are payed for it. You served his purposes.... they dont care anymore...(Just as they dont care about turning off the servers)
    I get how many users come to that conclusion and I understand the underlying cynicism behind it. However, I am dedicated to pursuing this to the fullest extent possible and will maintain that. If for some reason, Ubisoft is of the belief this will simply go away of its own accord then they are quite mistaken. For now, I am pursuing things in a reasonable manner in accordance with their practices until a satisfactory resolution is provided as the issue regarding LAN has not manifested itself in a manner that YET impacts users but will shortly.

The issue regarding split-screen is a different matter but no less important, especially as it exists within the games themselves and there has been no proper technical explanation as to why PC users were denied this.

Further, these games aren't unsupported. Ubisoft managed to find time to issue patches for Xbox One and Xbox Series X / S users for various enhancements in their backwards compatibility experience and that wasn't long ago. Again, I understand the cynicism behind what you're saying and traditionally, I'd be inclined to agree, but I have everything in place to raise the matter in accordance with consumer law should the need arise.

You are absoultely right, but IMHO we are very small fish in this matter to achieve something... But hey! Never told you to not do it... Try it... you might achieve SOMETHING. I am eager to see it.... I would want Splitscreen or lan also...