Discarding cargo or not!?

Hello

Ive noticed that cargo ships, when unloading and when the "discard cargo" is not activated, they only unload the neede amount and then take off. And when they return to another harbour that gods they only unloaded maybe half the only load the amount set by me.

Example:

Harbour 1: Loads 50t of X, 50t of Y and 50t of Z.

Harbour 2: Unloads 20t of X,Y,Z.

Harbour 1: Loads 30t of X, Y, Z.

and so on...

Is this correct? If it is, that means that many of my routes, esp the ones to my main island, now dont have to discard their cargo. The routes that need to discard, as i see it, is those that need to be empty to load another gods at harbour 2 on the way back to harbour 1. I hope all this made sense.

You are right. That is how it works. If you want cargo back, an empty slot must be available on your ship. If not, dump the cargo in the sea first unless you haven't produced much of it. In that case use 2 cargo ships in seperate routes. One for delivery and the other for collection. Or set the number that is needed and no more so that you are sure that you have place for return cargo.
    I know, time is money but I don't know if you can use the money and how far these islands are from prison, sir archibald or madame Kahina, but you can make an intermediate step in your trade route and sell the rest to them. Then you sail back to Island 2 and collect the other stuff for Island 1.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Bert_Boomgaard Go to original post
    You are right. That is how it works. If you want cargo back, an empty slot must be available on your ship. If not, dump the cargo in the sea first unless you haven't produced much of it. In that case use 2 cargo ships in seperate routes. One for delivery and the other for collection. Or set the number that is needed and no more so that you are sure that you have place for return cargo.
    I know, time is money but I don't know if you can use the money and how far these islands are from prison, sir archibald or madame Kahina, but you can make an intermediate step in your trade route and sell the rest to them. Then you sail back to Island 2 and collect the other stuff for Island 1.
    Just after i posted this question I turned of the "discard" on one of the routes that only delivered to my main island, so it did not have ny gods back to the "supply island" but apparently it didnt work. It loaded the entered amount of gods, not the missing gods to get to the entered amount. Bug?

You must activate the 'Discard cargo' button (turns white) in the harbor where you want to unload your stuff. What cannot be delivered will be thrown overboard. That's how it works as intended. It does not work if you activate it on your load actions.

I see newer players use the same cargo slot for different types of goods. That is in my opinion the perfect recipe for disaster... Most of the time it is done because of not knowing how the system works. It will almost every time result in logistics problems.Unless you discard the cargo... but...

I never discard cargo. That is a personal choice. But that results in more ships and more traderoutes. Which results in more complexity, more costs, more influence.
    So it is up to you. I actually find it more easy to manage if it is separated in different routes instead of squezing to much in the same route.
     2 people found this helpful

I never discard cargo. That is a personal choice. But that results in more ships and more trade routes. Which results in more complexity, more costs, more influence.
    So it is up to you. I actually find it more easy to manage if it is separated in different routes instead of squeezing to much in the same route.
    I do the same - ship one loads 50 goods takes it to another island where it unloads and returns to pick up 50 more. Load and Unload of the same good... Once the store room is full on the end island the goods will remain on my ship and just go back and forth... but yes it requires loads of ships - so upgrade them as soon as possible, and add more piers when you can.

i never knew goods could be transported this way until i had about 130 cargo ships...by that time there was too much going on to redo my shipping routes and i already felt like i was stuck in the trade route page more than playing the game. i think cramming ships and discarding loads complicates the routes too much, but it is nice to have the ability...i tried it this way but didn't like it and i have always transported goods the same way as Josh.
    in Anno Online, which was out just before Anno 1800 and is probably where the Devs got the idea for Anno 1800, the transporting of goods absolutely sucked, it was one goods, one slot, one island and return...couldn't split goods or send to multiple islands. there was a lot of talk of improving this because it really did need work and there was always complaints about it in chat (which was awesome in-game) it is nice that the choice is now there to ship goods different ways. kudos to devs.

Annoholics's Avatar Member
    There is another reason to discard cargo. A lot of items give you bonus products. To get those bonus products it is important that the production keeps going. A good example is schnapps production where you can get rum as a bonus product. If you want to keep the rum production going you need to discard the schnapps. Otherwise the distillery will stop once the schnapps storage is full.

i keep the production moving, like cement factories and brick factories, for the free wood veneers, by selling everything above 600 which is produced...my warehouse is now at 3200 (thanks to Docklands) so those productions never stop, the warehouse never fills up and i have more than enough veneers.
    i would rather sell than discard.

I think it would be nice to have scavenger ships that would go around the port picking up stuff and either placing it in the harbour storage or selling it somewhere. Maybe even have the fishing ships pick up the stuff if they happen to go near it. Sometimes I will dump stuff if I have to but I try to pick it up later. I have never used the 'auto-dumping' feature in trade routs though.