Dome500's Avatar Senior Member

[OT] Deus Ex - I need your advise guys...

What's going on guys,

Once again I seek your great advise.
    I want to buy "Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut Edition" It's ~ 6 pounds on amazon.co.uk.
    The problem is I heard the PC version has lots of bugs and technical issues.
    Do you think it's worth it? Have the issues been fixed yet?

Really, the main issue is performance. I have an outdated brick of a laptop that can barely run original as is, and my FPS drops to 15-20 fps on Director's Cut. If you have a decent rig, I can imagine it's alot more forgiving.

Boss battles had a few changes and provide a few more avenues of approach, but nothing groundbreaking. The lighting filter is alot less sepia orange, which is a godsend for others but not for me (I loved the original artstyle). However, the commentary is very nice. You can tell alot of passion and work was put into this game, as developers point out little easter eggs in the level and why some design/narrative features are what they are.

I bought it off of Steam. If you don't have the original Deus Ex Human Revolution game, you might wanna consider not buying this cuz there are only minor additions like dev commentaries (pretty insightful if you choose to listen to them) and restructured boss battles. The DLC is well integrated with the main game and I didn't notice any bugs on my version. If you want detailed info, I used this video review for my purchase decision of the Director's Cut.

BoBwUzHeRe1138's Avatar Senior Member
    Hm. Can't say for the PC version but for only 6 pounds? I say go for it.

It's top notch stealth. I think it's the best blend of stealth and action. I've tried going guns blazing and it's fairly hard to do. You die REALLY quickly unless you upgrade your armor (I haven't done it yet so I'm not sure how tank-like you become)

Aside from no light and shadow mechanics, it plays like a mostly first person SC. Even their form of Sonar has a limit on how long you can use it (though you don't even need to get it in the first place but it can last longer depending on the upgrades you pick)

It also has amazing decisions and choices and everything so far, seems to have repercussions (even if it's only minor)

It's the most hardcore stealth game in a loooong time. I would love if SC learned from it.

shobhit7777777's Avatar Senior Member
    ****ing buy it!!

You're getting the entire DXHR experience - including DLC as one seamless package and the fact that the boss battles are reworked is the cherry on top. Boss Battles now allow you much much greater tactical freedom and are vast improvement over the vanilla encounters.

And the biggest plus point - New Game + mode!!

The original didn't have the above (I used trainers to sift through levels and unlock stuff for more open ended gameplay) and I can tell you that going through the game again with all you previous upgrades while leaving room for more is what makes DX so legendary - experiment and mess around.

6 quid is worth it IMO....I don't recall being hit by bugs or glitches and performance was fine for me on a mid end laptop.

OH! There is one complaint I have in regards to DX:HR... I wish you could disable the radar. It's kind of pointless and redundant to have that and Smart Vision (just like it is with sonar and radar in Blacklist) and I try not to rely on it but I find myself using it more than I'd like. It's hard NOT to see the arrows moving around...

shobhit7777777's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by BoBwUzHeRe1138 Go to original post
    OH! There is one complaint I have in regards to DX:HR... I wish you could disable the radar. It's kind of pointless and redundant to have that and Smart Vision (just like it is with sonar and radar in Blacklist) and I try not to rely on it but I find myself using it more than I'd like. It's hard NOT to see the arrows moving around...
    Isn't the Radar an upgrade you need to buy? Or is it there from the get go? I forget.

I guess Smart Vision allows greater awareness and ease of access than the tiny map in the corner.

SCAgent95's Avatar Senior Member
    Yes! get it! i did not run into any problems in my PC version, but i know some people that still have issues, mainly performance related.
    Only 1 patch has been released thus far, But for that price i highly recommend it.

CptFoley_101's Avatar Member
    Buy,buy,buy.Oh ,and one more thing - BUY.Best stealth game of the decade.Period.This game defines the "play your way".You can beat the game in full stealth(boss fights are exception) without even upgrading your augs/skills.For every action you commit,every choice you make, there is a consequence.F*** Skyrim,Deus ex deserved 2011 GOTY

Originally Posted by shobhit7777777 Go to original post
    Isn't the Radar an upgrade you need to buy? Or is it there from the get go? I forget.

I guess Smart Vision allows greater awareness and ease of access than the tiny map in the corner.
    There from the get go. Well, after you're augmented in the story. It's not in the prologue if I'm correct.

I guess SV and the radar have slightly differentiated uses but it just seems weird to be able to avoid one but essentially have the ability to see through walls a bit anyway. I'd much prefer to get rid of the radar and have Smart Vision (I got Smart Vision to justify his sunglasses a bit more and it just fits in the sci fi setting to me.)

When I go on my "augment/upgradeless playthrough (not counting hacking), I'd love to be able to disable the radar. Sigh. Oh well. Still an AMAZING title.