Yeah, another Dominion thread...

I know the majority's consensus on Dominion is that it's fine, and for the most part, it is indeed working properly. However, there's a couple of glaring issues I personally have with Dominion (for context, I play on Xbox, and am only Rep 11 overall, so my experience might differ from that of others.)

First, I personally feel one game mode shouldn't take complete precedence over other modes, but we've reached that point with Dominion. Even with two other friends, we tried- and failed- to find a breach/deathmatch/tribute match for at least 30 minutes. It wasn't an issue with matchmaking; everyone was playing Dominion. Why Dominion, over other game modes?

That question brings me to my second point- Dominion, more than any other game mode, encourages teaming up against single players. Yes, the other 4v4 game modes have the potential to be equally toxic, but I argue that additional considerations make it a less appealing option: In an elimination deathmatch, When you're dead you stay dead, causing players to treat it like a 4v4 brawl, whereas tribute and breach have additional win conditions teamers must take into consideration. In Dominion, however, not only is teaming a valid tactical choice, it's heavily incentivized: zones are captured faster and tend to stay captured by roaming as a gang, picking off loners trying to backdoor and grab a zone. Oftentimes, revenge doesn't proc soon enough to be of any real benefit (unless you're a parrying god), and even if a member of the gang dies, they're immediately revived or or just respawn and rejoin the pack. Add to this the simple fact certain characters just can't handle more than one opponent at a time, and it causes an extremely frustrating game experience.

Just so this thread isn't just me complaining, I do have a couple of ideas on how to discourage excessing teaming: 1) Just as honorable kills are rewarded, penalize players for extremely 'dishonorable' kills [3 or more people fighting the same person], and 2) put Dominion and the other game modes on a rotation, to force players to step out of their comfort zones and experience other parts of the game.

if you've read this wall of text, thank you for your time.

Dominion is the flagship mode and the most balanced of the others. I imagine that's why it's the most picked out of them all, even though I like all the other modes. Even Tribute.

I guess my question to you would be, why do you consider ganking toxic and want to discourage it? I personally get the biggest thrill when I'm in a 1v* situation. That's when the game is the most fun for me.
     1 people found this helpful

Biggest problem of 4v4 are bad players. This game should have much better ranking system and should not allow some player to play PvP modes at all. I know many players with which I always lose when they play with me in the same team. Only 5% of players know how to play Dominion and win. Others are weak players which only stupidly run around and pointlessly attacks anyone. Friendly fires, interrupts, charging revenge by nonsense attacks etc... At this moment only valid solution is DC and find better players in another match. Sometimes you need to DC dozens of matches before you find quality players. Which is sad...

I guess my biggest gripe with ganks is the survivability of the encounters. I'm not sure how often you survive 1v3's and 1v4's, but I generally don't live to tell the tale. Plus, if a person doesn't feel comfortable going 1v1 against an opponent, giving them a free pass to gang up with others isn't going to help them get any better at the game.

Originally Posted by KoboldHonor Go to original post
    I guess my biggest gripe with ganks is the survivability of the encounters. I'm not sure how often you survive 1v3's and 1v4's, but I generally don't live to tell the tale. Plus, if a person doesn't feel comfortable going 1v1 against an opponent, giving them a free pass to gang up with others isn't going to help them get any better at the game.
    I can win a 1v2 pretty regularly depending on how coordinated my gankers are. When it comes to 1v3/4s I have won them before, but it's rare unless the enemie doesn't know what they're doing, but I don't think you're really supposed to win when you're that out numbered anyway. At that point I just try to last as long as I can until either help arrives, or my teammates can cap the other points since I have the whole team on me. When those points are open, my job at that point is just to stall as long as I can.

Giving someone a pass to team up with other players is why 4v4 exists, coordinating with teammates is why most people like team oriented games. Otherwise we'd all just play duel all the time.

Too me Dominion should be changed to a arcade mode it doesn't require skill to play it is a game mode full no skill players just basically ganking everyone. Sorry but ganking isn't considered a skill so Dominion shouldn't be a ranked mode. I see the only reason Dominion is always active because it is the easiest mode to win in as I stated and its just a big gankfest that require no skill to win. That is why Duel or Brawl are usually low activity those mode actually required skill to win. The game has certainly lost its competitiveness since its launch the game use to require skill but that is just about gone. I remember back around season 2 when Duel and Brawl were active a lot people were challenging themselves but now player want to be lazy and just want to gank everyone.

Dominion requires skill! The skill of your teammates means win or defeat. If your teammates just stupidly run around and spend 90% of the time fighting outside capture points than you will be defeated at the end by gankers. Simple example - we fought 2 vs 4 at one capture point. The enemy got over 1000 points so death = defeat. One of my teammate spawned and guess where he was running. Not on an empty capture point to bring the points below 1000 (so others can respawn), but he ran pointlessly to us where we fought against the odds. Of course he died fast.

One thing I like about 4v4 is stupidity of many players. They do not use feints or use predictible attacks over and over. In duel they will never win a match if fighting like this but in 4v4 almost everyone go crazy and do not use tactics. Easy kills.

MrBdur's Avatar Senior Member
    Duels, Brawls, Dominion.

These are the game modes most preferred.

Why? Because the other game modes are less exciting.

Why does dominion get picked over breach/trib/dm? Because it's better.

Complaining about ganks in an objective based 4v4 mode? What? It's called strategy. Keep the other team disadvantaged by keeping them oppressed. Next.

I'm sorry but you're rep 11 total, so you're a new player. You don't understand the game well enough to be giving in depth ideas to "fix" it.

No offense, but forcing a rotation of game modes is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read on these forums.

You wanna piss off 90% of players to appease the 10% of you that can't comprehend why Dominion is the only real comp mode and why it's so awesome?

If you're constantly being ganked, then it's your own fault. Stick with a teammate. Pair up.

If you're any good, you should be able to hold off a gank long enough to get revenge. It's up to you to stop the gank my man.

Y'all can keep crying about dominion but it is easily the best game mode overall (and I'm primarily a duelist/brawler, so that means something coming from me). It isn't going to change, at least not in any way described in this thread.

Every complaint about dominion in this thread is utterly and completely braindead. Just stop.

Originally Posted by MrBdur Go to original post
    Duels, Brawls, Dominion.

These are the game modes most preferred.

Why? Because the other game modes are less exciting.

Why does dominion get picked over breach/trib/dm? Because it's better.

Complaining about ganks in an objective based 4v4 mode? What? It's called strategy. Keep the other team disadvantaged by keeping them oppressed. Next.

I'm sorry but you're rep 11 total, so you're a new player. You don't understand the game well enough to be giving in depth ideas to "fix" it.

No offense, but forcing a rotation of game modes is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read on these forums.

If you're constantly being ganked, then it's your own fault. Stick with a teammate. Pair up.

If you're any good, you should be able to hold off a gank long enough to get revenge. It's up to you to stop the gank my man.

Y'all can keep crying about dominion but it is easily the best game mode overall (and I'm primarily a duelist/brawler, so that means something coming from me). It isn't going to change, at least not in any way described in this thread.

Every complaint about dominion in this thread is utterly and completely braindead. Just stop.
    Well, that post drips conceited elitism, but I like to be thorough so let's talk through your points of argument.

"the other game modes are less exciting?"- are they really though? Maybe for you, but I personally like the idea behind breach, and deathmatch is a classic game mode in many games for a reason.

"Why does dominion get picked over breach/trib/dm? Because it's better."- Again, subjective. It certainly seems to be easier than other game modes, which have win conditions and strategies more complex than 'run as a pack and take each point one by one'. Speaking of strategy...

"Complaining about ganks in an objective based 4v4 mode? What? It's called strategy. Keep the other team disadvantaged by keeping them oppressed. Next."- the term 'gank' holds the context on one, maybe two' roaming to help their ally hold a point. 'Gank' is NOT an appropriate term for a four-man kill squad who hops from point to point, rapidly decimating any single or pair of enemies they face. You can attempt to oppress them by having a player backdoor a farther away spot, but once the kill squad has eliminated their current objective, it's a safe bet they'll swoop in to reclaim the area and move on to bloodier pastures. Indeed, next.

"I'm sorry but you're rep 11 total, so you're a new player. You don't understand the game well enough to be giving in depth ideas to "fix" it."- Yes, I am rep 11...on Xbox. I played on PS4 beforehand, and even if I was new, my opinion would be just as important as a seasoned player, considering every game needs new blood to survive. That said, just how complex do you think this game is? Mastering individual characters might take time, but these game modes are very cut and dry. A month of playing any one game mode will tell you plenty about how they're played, their strong suits and their flaws.

"No offense, but forcing a rotation of game modes is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read on these forums." Biased, subjective and, despite the claim of 'no offense', still overly aggressive. Many other video game have utilized rotating game modes to great effect, why should For Honor be any different?

"90%" I'd like to see where that number came from, I can't help but feel the percentages would be closer than you might think.

"If you're constantly being ganked, then it's your own fault. Stick with a teammate. Pair up. If you're any good, you should be able to hold off a gank long enough to get revenge. It's up to you to stop the gank my man."- 2v4's are still rough, and 4 people can burn down one player before revenge can pop, especially if they have shoves and/or use GB

"Y'all can keep crying about dominion but it is easily the best game mode overall (and I'm primarily a duelist/brawler, so that means something coming from me). It isn't going to change, at least not in any way described in this thread. Every complaint about dominion in this thread is utterly and completely braindead. Just stop." VERY subjective. Just because you don't agree with a complaint, doesn't mean it isn't viable. Dominion might be okay, but it could be better, and it might involve change that you either think it doesn't need/forces you to adjust.

If you have a problem with Dominion, just DC and jump to another match. Many bad player do not know how to play Dominion. And because this game has not quality matchmaking mechanism, you do not have to be ashamed of it.