Multiplayer - Why does everyone need DLCs?

So I started my very first coop match with my friend. Then suddenly came the shock that even my friend needs all the DLCs I plan to enable. May I ask why? Paradox games (Im a huge fan) does it perfectly: only the host must own the DLCs we are planning to play with. Why does Anno forces you to own it when the host already has it?

because it means someone will be getting a little bit of joy and they never paid for it...unthinkable lol

I mean one could argue from this point: my friend sees how amazing a DLC is which he does not own and would not be able to try out so he buys it later because he loved it in our multiplayer session. So in the end Ubisoft will be happy because he bought stuff. I would be happy because we could play together with everything and he would be happy as well because he could try it first before buying said DLC. I really dont know why this isnt a thing.
     1 people found this helpful

You could ask that in the next questions rounds. I think it has something to do with download and install size and how multiplayer is programmed. Not everybody downloads everything when he downloads Anno 1800 but only the pieces he owns(Maybe because of copy protection stuff so you cannot enable stuff u don't own)(Or maybe because its hard to justify huge downloads for contents you do not own and just wanna play singleplayer, which most part of the player base does). Therefore your friend does not even have the data of the DLCs and therefore cannot play them in multiplayer. Even if you are the host, you do not and can not stream all the data to the other player (it would be waaay to much data for your connection to handle. You would need to upload every last piece of content from all the DLCs. That would be a lot of gigabytes of data).
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by chris02918 Go to original post
    You could ask that in the next questions rounds. I think it has something to do with download and install size and how multiplayer is programmed. Not everybody downloads everything when he downloads Anno 1800 but only the pieces he owns(Maybe because of copy protection stuff so you cannot enable stuff u don't own)(Or maybe because its hard to justify huge downloads for contents you do not own and just wanna play singleplayer, which most part of the player base does). Therefore your friend does not even have the data of the DLCs and therefore cannot play them in multiplayer. Even if you are the host, you do not and can not stream all the data to the other player (it would be waaay to much data for your connection to handle. You would need to upload every last piece of content from all the DLCs. That would be a lot of gigabytes of data).
    We do not need to look for a solution. It already exists as I mentioned Paradox specifically. Thank you for poiting out tho that Anno 1800 might not be coded that way from the start which would mean that applying that solution wouldnt be possible without a bigger development effort. That makes sense. But then I would question the design decision they went with on the first place.

The other side of the arguement is why should people who have not bought the content be able to use it ,

As i already mentioned the design decision could be because of justifying download and install size. Why would somebody who only bought the standard game have to download e.g. 50gb for all DLCs if he only needs 10gb for what he can actually play. But thats just a guess. I think there are many reasons and i do not know if there is a single person who actually posts in the forum who knows them all^^