Ubi-Lucipus's Avatar Community Manager

[Investigating] Crash to Desktop Issues on PC (Updated March 23rd)

Hello Agents,

We are investigating an ongoing issue where players may experience a crash to desktop on PC.

In order to help our investigation it would help if system files, video/pictures and steps that were taken prior to the crash is forwarded to the support team.

We consider this our top priority at the moment and appreciate your assistance as we continue to investigate.

[March 9th]

• We hoped to have resolved these issues with our March 9th Maintenance, however this is still ongoing and so is our investigation into the issue.

[March 23rd]
    • While separate from the above issue, we're aware that a recent update on PC is causing some players games to freeze and crash. For more information about this issue, visit this thread.
    • Update: The game crashes after 23/03/2021 have been fixed, but we continue to investigate the original crash issue in this thread.

//The Division Team
     95 people found this helpful

i was haveing issues and still am and i was contacting you guys with my email focus1981@hotmail.co.uk can you please let me no whats happening please
     2 people found this helpful

Dakar2020's Avatar Member
    I am happy to see that you are working on solving this issue, as it seems to be alot of people having the same problem on PC, but it would be awesome if you implemented a crash log system to your game that also registere if the game closes by itself, because the current crash log system is not detecting that, it's always empty after i crash to Desktop.

Keep up the good work, i have trust in you fixing this issue...
     21 people found this helpful

OTernian's Avatar Junior Member
    My crash fix; I've been having the sudden crash problem since playing Div2 again recently and it crashes after 20-40 minutes of play. msinfo32 > "Windows Error Reporting" shows no errors for the last 35 days. Only symptom is a a few seconds of load lag and then sudden death. No symptom errors of any kind. This is my daytime work rig so I run four monitors off of a GTX 1080Ti and was doing that when last played Div2 a few months ago with no crashes at all for months. My system has not changes since then. My solution so far: Two days ago I opened NVIDIA Control Panel and disabled the other three monitors before playing. Have had no crashes since and easily play 2-3 hours with no problems. Hope this helps someone.

In-game for 15 minutes and crashed to desktop 3 times. Big lag spikes too. This has been an ongoing the past 2-3 weeks but today was the worst.
     7 people found this helpful

I think my turning off monitors just frees up graphic card memory to deal with the actual problem. My best guess to the real problem is the UPlay Overlay is conflicting with the PC XBox Overlay..
    Crashes started shortly after its arrival. Sudden death crashes leaving no system errors makes that difficult to prove.
     7 people found this helpful

twice in a row so far today all I did was load into Washington main base starting clearing out bag selected a few chest pieces to dismantle press n hold button as dismantle nears end bam CTD no errors nothing.. just in case doing a verify files so far

Rig nothing fancy I7 2500 GTX960 2gig 16gig ram installed on SSD usually plays fine so no idea.

Testing all day, can play as long as I like with any configuration as long as Ubisoft in-game overlay is not enabled.

Without the Ubisoft in-game overlay enabled, I use ~10% less GPU, no GPU spikes, get no load lag, and can play as long as I like.

With the overlay enabled, over five consecutive tests, I crash with 15 minutes while watching the GPU usage increase to 100% and stay there until it sudden deaths (like a memory leak).
     2 people found this helpful

desrocchi's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by OTernian Go to original post
    Testing all day, can play as long as I like with any configuration as long as Ubisoft in-game overlay is not enabled.
    Well, you gave me hope for a second but... no, it crashes even without the overlay (using DX12, I'll try with DX11 to see if at least the framerate improves).

EDIT: even with DX11, removing the overlay has no impact for me. Well, not exactly: without the overlay in DX12 the game crashes, with the overlay the game freezes and needs to be forced shut from the task manager.
     13 people found this helpful

i don't use Riva tuner or MSI utility and Nvidia overlay turned off and it still craches randomly , Ubisoft please solve this!
     5 people found this helpful