Ahh I remember the days when playing Assassins Creed(1) made me me feel like playing Oblivion, and playing Oblivion made me feel like playing Assassins Creed, at the time, in my eyes the two games were equal.

Probably not equal in any definite sense, but, to me they felt equal. Both were as much fun as the other.

Look at how far we've come. I've been watching a lot of Skyrim feeds lately, and, it seems, Ubisoft have let all of us down. Gone are the days when these series were remotely comparable.

What Bethesda have done in 3 years is magnificent, I only wish that ubisoft had the the same respect for their fans that Bethesda has, that is to be a games company that puts substance over style and artistry and creativity over profit.

What we've seen in ACB and (it appears) in ACR is nothing more than desire to bolster yearly profits rather than a commitment to build a reputation as a quality studio and ensure a committed fanbase for years to come.

This seems, to me, to be quite short sighted and, in the long run, detrimental to the company as a whole.

Ubisoft, if you respect and understand your long term Assassins Creed fans and want to build your fan base rather than have to constantly renew it, please realise that to make a DECENT video game, it takes more than 1 year!

Two years is fine(judging by AC2) but one year is FAR too short to create a deep, satisfying experience.

Profits may skew a little higher but you owe it to yourselves and to your long term fans to create a quality experience to make Ubisoft a name revered in the annals of gaming and not just another, flash in the pan game company.

AC1 and AC2 were brilliant in my opinion, but, from the perspective of a lot of long term fans you really dropped the ball with ACB and in my opinion this is only due to the short production/development time. I haven't played Revelations yet but my expectations, compared to my expectations for ACB are not even remotely comparable.

Please dont continue to let us long term fans down. We're on the same team, you give us the respect we deserve and your long term success will be assured.

SlimeDynamiteD's Avatar Senior Member
    Even though Ubisoft probably won't admit it, it's not going very good with the studio.

They have to make these profits to keep running, and the Assassin's Creed franchise is one of their best-sellers, therefore they HAVE to keep selling these.

Bethesda, however, is doing great.
    It's been bigger than ever, they're coming out with great games like Rage, Skyrim, Fallout, Prey and Brink.

Therefore they get more money and are able to do more things than Ubisoft, ofcourse the time does also count, Oblivion was released in 2006, so they had 5 years to create Skyrim.

Assassin's Creed releases once a year and therefore has much less time to create the next Assassin's Creed game.

roostersrule2's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by AlphaAltair:
    Ahh I remember the days when playing Assassins Creed(1) made me me feel like playing Oblivion, and playing Oblivion made me feel like playing Assassins Creed, at the time, in my eyes the two games were equal.

Probably not equal in any definite sense, but, to me they felt equal. Both were as much fun as the other.

Look at how far we've come. I've been watching a lot of Skyrim feeds lately, and, it seems, Ubisoft have let all of us down. Gone are the days when these series were remotely comparable.

What Bethesda have done in 3 years is magnificent, I only wish that ubisoft had the the same respect for their fans that Bethesda has, that is to be a games company that puts substance over style and artistry and creativity over profit.

What we've seen in ACB and (it appears) in ACR is nothing more than desire to bolster yearly profits rather than a commitment to build a reputation as a quality studio and ensure a committed fanbase for years to come.

This seems, to me, to be quite short sighted and, in the long run, detrimental to the company as a whole.

Ubisoft, if you respect and understand your long term Assassins Creed fans and want to build your fan base rather than have to constantly renew it, please realise that to make a DECENT video game, it takes more than 1 year!

Two years is fine(judging by AC2) but one year is FAR too short to create a deep, satisfying experience.

Profits may skew a little higher but you owe it to yourselves and to your long term fans to create a quality experience to make Ubisoft a name revered in the annals of gaming and not just another, flash in the pan game company.

AC1 and AC2 were brilliant in my opinion, but, from the perspective of a lot of long term fans you really dropped the ball with ACB and in my opinion this is only due to the short production/development time. I haven't played Revelations yet but my expectations, compared to my expectations for ACB are not even remotely comparable.

Please dont continue to let us long term fans down. We're on the same team, you give us the respect we deserve and your long term success will be assured.
    Ubisoft do a game in more then one year as AC3 has been worked on since AC2 (I think) came out. Also revelations probably started development in around September last year maybe and it's the same for brotherhood, but after AC3 their going to slow down release times. As we won't see AC4 or an AC3 expansion until like 2014 and we will probably get a big DLC in the meantime to keep us sane.

Originally posted by SlimeDynamiteD:
    Even though Ubisoft probably won't admit it, it's not going very good with the studio.

They have to make these profits to keep running, and the Assassin's Creed franchise is one of their best-sellers, therefore they HAVE to keep selling these.

Bethesda, however, is doing great.
    It's been bigger than ever, they're coming out with great games like Rage, Skyrim, Fallout, Prey and Brink.

Therefore they get more money and are able to do more things than Ubisoft, ofcourse the time does also count, Oblivion was released in 2006, so they had 5 years to create Skyrim.

Assassin's Creed releases once a year and therefore has much less time to create the next Assassin's Creed game.
    You do make some very good points. At the same time though you confirm some of mine. If Ubi had a more "forward thinking" strategy rather than "Hey, this is selling! lets flog it!!" approach maybe they could still be winners in the long term.

Yearly profits are nice but, as far as i see it, a company needs to look past it's yearly cycle.

If they're in financial woe I'm sure that based on the success of the AC franchise alone they could secure the funds needed to make long term change and still reap the rewards. Bear in mind though they did amass over 1 BILLION dollars in revenue the other year.

SlimeDynamiteD's Avatar Senior Member
    I agree, but when a company needs this yearly profits to keep running I'd say, keep milking it out until you can change that.

Originally posted by AlphaAltair:

Great post, you summed up all my thoughts and put them to paper.

Originally posted by SlimeDynamiteD:
    I agree, but when a company needs this yearly profits to keep running I'd say, keep milking it out until you can change that.
    True. But maybe the milking is the cancer, and to fix it maybe they could take heed of others, as you say;

"Bethesda, however, is doing great.
    It's been bigger than ever, they're coming out with great games like Rage, Skyrim, Fallout, Prey and Brink."

I don't mean to dwell on Bethesda as a "perfect" game company, but I do appreciate the credit that they give their fans as far as quality is concerned (glitches not withstanding lol).

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    I dunno...

I don't see how you can compare The Elder Scrolls to Assassin's Creed. They are completely different games.

And ACB was my favorite game in the series, and I don't really get why people think that it decreased in quality from AC1/AC2. And I see ACR as being the best in the series so far.

Will_Lucky's Avatar Senior Member
    Considering the fact six studios worked on Revelations, I'd say thats more than enough manpower to release games year on year. But I'd like to see a year without a release, give them more time for AC3 which has been in development since the end of AC2.

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Will_Lucky:
    Considering the fact six studios worked on Revelations, I'd say thats more than enough manpower to release games year on year. But I'd like to see a year without a release, give them more time for AC3 which has been in development since the end of AC2.
    They already confirmed that AC3 is releasing next year, because they think that ending a story that takes place in December 2012 after December 2012 passes in real life is stupid. Which I can concur with.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last ►►