Ubi-P4in's Avatar Community Manager

Testing Grounds Megathread - December 10-17

Hello Warriors!

With a new phase of Testing Grounds, comes with it a new Megathread for feedback!

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us last time, and we hope that you'll continue to share your thoughts and ideas with us with the current Testing Grounds phase.

Please also take the time to respond to this survey once you've had time to play: ubi.li/2ioOF !

In this Testing Grounds phase, we'll be focusing on these 4 Heroes:

Warden
    Peacekeeper
    Shugoki
    Nobushi

For more information on the changes in Testing Grounds, visit our article here: ubi.li/ieRVe

I like what was done to Nobushi, but her kick needs to be sped up to so it can't be reacted to so she can have a 50/50 mix up
     1 people found this helpful

In my experience playing both as and against the characters touched up, I cannot find a thing that I don't like that was done:

Warden
    The taking away of backdodge bash was an amazing nerf that needed to be done. It allowed him to safely dodge away at all times, without even having to commit to the bash. The addition to his offense is quite nice, almost forgot what it is like to fight an offensive Warden lol.

Peacekeeper
    Great use of her mechanics to give her unblockable without cracking the character. The damage buff was nice too, I am actually having a lot of fun with her.

Nobushi
    Her combo potential is way better, granted I couldn't figure her out much because HS kept betraying me and I went full potato. Her kick is still a little slow, but I can live with that. Great improvements though to combo flow.

Shugoki
    The loss of HA on hug and lights is a welcome change, and doesn't seem to kill the character like I thought it might. He still has his zone and with the addition of the forward dodge heavy you now can catch those nerds who roll away at every mixup.

All in all, these changes appear to do everything intended. I really want them in the game now unless there is some game-breaking thing that I haven't seen yet. Also new hero seems to be a bit fast, but I might not be used to him yet. I am sure he will see a balance pass before he hits the point of purchase with steel.
     2 people found this helpful

Regarding Warden Rework:

As a Warden main, I truly appreciate the developers hard work and input into making Warden able to defend himself against more than 1 oppenent, as well as making him faster and more fluid via 1v1.

However, by playing training grounds, I felt removing the backware dodge shoulder bash was terrible. Instead of allowing him to bash from any attack rather it's light attack or heavy, take that away and bring back the backward dodge bash. Keep the unblockable side heavys but take away the bash from any type of attack. As a Warden main this is my hope and please. Thank you.

With that you want to say:

- Make Warden stronger
    - Make him a S+++ Tier

The removing of the back dodge shoulder bash was intended to be a nerf. I think it is completly fine and Warden isn't dead after all.

Originally Posted by C18_Masterphonx Go to original post
    With that you want to say:

- Make Warden stronger
    - Make him a S+++ Tier

The removing of the back dodge shoulder bash was intended to be a nerf. I think it is completly fine and Warden isn't dead after all.
    I absolutely have to agree with this here. Backdodge bash was far too safe and allowed Warden to retreat without risk of being grabbed, he didn't even have to commit the bash. His changes are pretty fair imo, he just plays a bit different with them than he used to.

Originally Posted by Dante Martiin Go to original post
    Regarding Warden Rework:

As a Warden main, I truly appreciate the developers hard work and input into making Warden able to defend himself against more than 1 oppenent, as well as making him faster and more fluid via 1v1.

However, by playing training grounds, I felt removing the backware dodge shoulder bash was terrible. Instead of allowing him to bash from any attack rather it's light attack or heavy, take that away and bring back the backward dodge bash. Keep the unblockable side heavys but take away the bash from any type of attack. As a Warden main this is my hope and please. Thank you.
    As another warden main (4 years only warden) you are missing the point of this rework completely...

Some balancing tips

Aside from the fact that I'm not a fan of the current direction of the game, based on guessing the next attack and reacting accordingly.

I think nobushi should be prevented from entering the Hidden Position after a kick from it as quickly as it is now, because heroes who rely on bash as a form of fallow up are not worthily rewarded. That move counts as a dodge in that circumstance and it allows her even more ways to punish the opponent unlike a normal dodge.

The actualy damage of the warden's final lateral chains is to hight. He should trade some of his damage whit hyper armor on the final heavies. Eventualy make faster the animation of charge setting when it has to start from a side dodge. Fast enough to prevent the hit of the next light of a chain (a dodgable one of course)
    if the previous one is successfully dodge.

This change should be granted to all bash heroes in the current meta of ligth attack and dodge attack, both used as defensive and offensive tools at the same time.

This is my analysis of the December 2020 Testing Grounds. I am a PS4 player with game knowledge and experience spanning the entirety of the game's life cycle.

Let me begin with WARDEN:
    Firstly, having gotten rid of the backdodge-shoulder bash was a healthy change for the game. It was very safe and effectively acted as an option select.
    With more chained bash pressure, i.e from valiant breakthrough, the zone, and finishers, Warden can now more effectively fight multiple opponents without being handicapped to stoppages and limits to chain pressure. With this new ability to keep infinite chain bash pressure in a gank, Wardens overall flow, viability and lethality is improved. Warden will have success akin to Centurion with these new options.

However, I think the side heavy finishers deal too much damage. With them now being unblockable, along with new infinite chain possibilities with bashes after those finishers, 35dmg is simply too much. Warden is able to pressure so much more, and I think damage needs to be balanced accordingly with his new options.

NOBUSHI:
    Firstly, stamina changes are always good. I won't elaborate here.
    With all heavy finishers and hidden stance heavies being undodgeable, Nobushi can effectively develop a solid 50/50 mixup.
    With the second hit of her zone attack having 3 new soft feint options, this helps compliment her 50/50 mixup and gives her some versatility all around. Sidewinder soft feint options give that dodge attack a 50/50 game.

However, her kick is still too slow and can be reacted to. It needs to be faster, plain and simple.
    Also, Vipers Retreat is the optimal punish for a heavy parry. It deals the most damage, but nothing can be chained from it. This puts her at a dead end and isn't effective for keeping her chains going. I feel there needs to be an option for something to come after it for better flow.

PEACEKEEPER:
    Unblockable heavy finishers when locked onto an opponent who is bleeding. Very welcome change in my eyes, as this finally gives her some solid external pressure and 1v1 potential. She'll have solid synergy with other characters capable of inflicting bleed, which was mentioned on the warriors den. She'll even be able to clip other players externally with those unblockables in 4v4 game modes.The +5 damage change on all heavies is good. She'll have more opportunities to get executions. The zone changes are good. Good soft feints and makes for solid mixups.

However, she has to work for her unblockables by first inflicting bleed. She has no effective opener, so she can still be externalled and ignored in group fights. This makes her new mechanics useless if she can't actually initiate bleed to begin with. There needs to be some other neutral pressure tool that she can use that might allow her to get bleed on her opponent, that way she can effectively utilize her unblockable pressure and not be ignored and externalled. As of right now, a good player can continue to ignore and external a Peacekeeper, denying her the chance of inflicting bleed.

Also, I feel her GB punish is too high. Her 3 stabs do over 35dmg, which is far above average compared to most GB punishes. This is also a fundamental issue, because her heavy punish can also guarentee bleed. The 3 stabs act as a major hit stunner for ganks and do a lot of damage. I recommend lowering the damage of the 3 lights to make it only optimal for ganking due to hitstun, that way her normal GB punish can be a heavy with a light for bleed. As of right now, her 3 lights from a GB hold too much utility, which is damage and gank setups. A good PK should be able to choose an appropriate punish for the situation, which would either be 3 lights that do less damage, but help a lot for ganking, or a heavy for more direct damage plus the option for bleed if there isn't bleed already. That way, if the opponent is already bleeding and gets GB'd, the PK can perform a heavy and chain with a heavy finisher for UB pressure.

SHUGOKI:

Getting rid of his hyper armor lights was a healthy change. Characters without HA openers could hardly initiate their chains and mixups. This change makes the character less frustrating to play against and more fair.

Adding moves such as the forward-dodge heavy and side-dodge headbutt give him more versatility and viability. All of Shugoki's moves can be rolled away from, so it's great that there is now a tool to use against that kind of behavior. The side-dodge headbutt doesn't guarentee damage, but it does do a lot of stamina damage. It's also kind of fast, so it can be used as an opener. Punishing enough bashes may put the opponent out of stamina, which will make Shugoki's unblockable pressure pretty scary.

There is one huge issue with Shugoki since his hyper armor was also removed on his hug: There is no mixup game there anymore... any character with a fast zone can option select all of Shugoki's unblockables and shut down the entire mixup. The mixup simply does not work, and even team mates are clipping their own Shugoki's and stopping their mixup. This is really bad because it is effectively a dead move against any character with a fast zone. Early side dodge attacks can even stop the hug startup, so Shugoki can actually be punished even though the opponent made an incorrect read or decision.

Reinstate the hyper armor on Shugoki's hug, as this will make it a true mixup. It's too easily nullified at the moment, and isn't viable in a group fight at all if team mates aren't super careful. It's not even useful in 1v1 at the moment.

The hug recovery on a whiff is still too high. 1500ms recovery still allows for even Raider to dodge and effectively get a side heavy off. Before, a Raider would get a top heavy off. This level of vulnerability is simply too great and makes the hug too risky with a lower reward. There are many instances, for example, where a Shugoki will be in recovery after a whiffed hug and will get smacked hard from a set-up enhanced Raider zone. Other hard-hitting attacks can also be set up, and the move is too high-risk with not enough of a reward. Lower the recovery even more so that Shugoki isn't so seriously vulnerable in 1v1s and even group fights.

That is what I have analyzed so far from my playing of the December 2020 Testing Grounds. Overall, I love what I see, but there are still some issues I would like to see addressed and fixed.

Thank you,

-McBooma16

This is pretty much what I think of the TTS changes.

Shugoki

Getting rid of his hyper armor lights was a good change. Characters without HA openers could hardly initiate their chains and mixups.
    Adding moves such as the forward-dodge heavy and side-dodge headbutt give him more viability.
    All of Shugoki's moves can be rolled away from, so it's great that there is something you can do about it. The side-dodge headbutt was also a good idea to punish bashes.
    The one thing that I thought was bad was the hyper armor on Shugoki's hug being removed, as this makes the mixup way too easy to counter and isn't viable in group fights at all if teammates aren't super careful and isnít even useful in 1v1s at the moment unless itís by a wallsplat. Also, the hug recovery on a whiff is still too high it should at max be 1 second to guarantee a guardbreak but not a raw top heavy.

Nobushi

Firstly, stamina changes are great.
    Nobushi now has a 50/50 mixup from her 300ms lights and undodgeable heavy, without being completely ignored by a backdodge.
    With the second hit of her zone attack having 3 new soft feint options, this gives her some versatility all around.
    However, cobra strike is still too slow 600ms for what it is and needs to be faster 533ms and the kick in my opinion is fast enough for what it does but needs some more range.

Warden

Getting rid of the backdodge-shoulder bash was a great change for the game and being able to chain it out of his zone and forward dodge heavy lets him keep going after being rolled away from and while surrounded.
    However, I do not agree with him being able to chain sb out of his heavys because it lets him essentially do what hitokiri does but with better dmg and overall pressure. Also, his heavy finishers do too much dmg, I would recommend 32 on top heavy and 30 on the sides. Warden can pressure so much more, and I think the damage needs to be more balanced also Iíd like to ask for his lights to be like conqueror in the sense that if you do left side light and it whiffs and you do it again its 600ms but if you do right side 2nd its 500ms, and thatís all

Peacekeeper

Unblockable heavy finishers when locked onto an opponent who is bleeding. Very welcome change in my eyes, as this finally gives her some solid external pressure and 1v1 potential. She will have solid synergy with other characters capable of inflicting bleed. She will even be able to clip other players externally with those unblockables in 4v4 game modes. The +5 damage change on all heavies is good but the stab followup should lose a tick of bleed otherwise itís a bit too much. She will have more opportunities to get executions. The zone changes are great. The deflect change was unnecessary but if it stays a heavy id like some 5 extra dmg.
    As of right now, a good player can continue to ignore and external a Peacekeeper, denying her the chance of inflicting bleed. Also, I feel her GB punish is too high. Her 3 stabs do 37dmg, I think if each of the stabs lost a tick of the bleed it would make it more balanced. Her bleed cancel being canceled into a dodge is nice, but you should be able to do it slightly sooner at 300ms instead of 333ms, why, because that lets you option select with a dodge attack in case, they try to gb. Also, would like to say her recoveries on her dodge attacks and forward dodge heavy are absolute trash and they need to be almost halved and most of her attacks have no range and should get some more forward momentum.

To end with id like to ask for a nerf to back dodges, that being, that every is like the assassins and loses their guard while performing it, this would solve a lot of issues on heroes with short range like pk who can be back dodged and blocked if performing a bleed cancel on anyone but an assassin.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last ►►