Lag spikes and frame dropps

I usually never got lag spikes and frame dropps but after this patch it is crazy. I already did everything you always write to us to check.I even freshly installed the game and reconfigure my graphics and video settings. Nothing seems to work... Is this like a temporary thing with the current update/pach and all the new incoming TU12 update?
    Are you guys here having the same issue? Thanks for all the help in advance!
     4 people found this helpful

Nothing here. Have to checked your connection or possibly monitored the heat levels on your PC.
     1 people found this helpful

Yeah maybe it has to do something with my internet not gonna lie with this corona and all of us stuck indoors. Because it would be really weird if my PC would heat up now after 800 hours of playtime and never getting it before lol...

Originally Posted by TR.blazon12 Go to original post
    Yeah maybe it has to do something with my internet not gonna lie with this corona and all of us stuck indoors. Because it would be really weird if my PC would heat up now after 800 hours of playtime and never getting it before lol...
    Worth checking as thermal paste doesn't last forever and fans do expire, with any luck it'll be something simple like that.

hyper---sniper's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by TR.blazon12 Go to original post
    I usually never got lag spikes and frame dropps but after this patch it is crazy. I already did everything you always write to us to check.I even freshly installed the game and reconfigure my graphics and video settings. Nothing seems to work... Is this like a temporary thing with the current update/pach and all the new incoming TU12 update?
    Are you guys here having the same issue? Thanks for all the help in advance!
    Their is another post about this , i am on a new build x570 32gb ram and a amd 5600x and i get it , bad at times, i tried my old machine x470 2600x 32gb ram and it is the same ?.. they seem to be cutting the servers with the drop in players ?..

UbiBlush's Avatar Community Representative
    Hey, there are no issues with the servers reported at the moment. If lag and disconnections are still happening, I would suggest sending a message over to our Support Team so they can have a check

dagrommit's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by UbiBlush Go to original post
    Hey, there are no issues with the servers reported at the moment. If lag and disconnections are still happening, I would suggest sending a message over to our Support Team so they can have a check
    No disrespect to you and the rest of the CM team, as I know it's a tough job keeping on top of the multiple communities you have to work with. However, Ubi support are generally useless. The last time I contacted them, they blamed steam for the reported problem - even though steam wasn't actually running. Similar generic responses in the PC support forum have not changed this impression.

Anyhow, this is the other thread mentioned earlier - i.e. there does appear to be a widespread issue with occasional, unexplained stuttering/framerate drop/lag.

FWIW, I was just in DZ East with my L30 character and experienced two instances between 1:11pm and 1:18pm Eastern. I was simply running around the DZ (i.e. not in combat) when a massive drop in framerate would occur for a second. This was on US East.

This has also occurred in the LZ and missions at random times while solo and grouped, and on different regional servers - i.e. Europe, US Central, US East. Other users while grouped have also mentioned the same, suggesting it's not a problem with individual machines.
     3 people found this helpful

I concur with dagrommit but will go one further..... in addition to support being generally unhelpful (because they are provided with scripts and required to not deviate, coupled with that they are not in tune with known issues). In addition to that, the game should have monitoring built into both the client and the server backend, and alerts raised nd funneled to the support organization. It shoudl not be a system built on the premise that users are the detection point, and without that the issues go un-detected.

I see. Maybe it really is a server/current game problem, because it really nothing works... I guess we will see when the update comes. Thank you, this was actually really helpful.

Thank you all for the advices and info about this! Appreciate it!

myself and a few of the guys are experiencing fps drops, up until a few weeks ago i was running this easily in 4k 120fps, but recently the spikes have been dropping like 30 fps in completely random times.

also i found the foam dudes can cause massive dips too.

3950x -
    2080Ti

everything is running on WC never any temps over 45c on both CPU/GPU.

Additional stutters as I'm able to note the time:

8:44pm Eastern, grouped with one other agent after taking over the New Venice CP on US East server.
    8:51pm Eastern - same group, just after completing a bounty near Potomac

8:58pm Eastern - same group, but other player notes stutter.

Me and 2 other clan members are getting frame drops quite a lot, it is only started happening since the latest patch/update.

Originally Posted by Oddb0d Go to original post
    Me and 2 other clan members are getting frame drops quite a lot, it is only started happening since the latest patch/update.
    its driving me tbh, i have tried everything even dialled down my overclocks nothing.

it run so smooth until a few weeks ago.

Video example from someone on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision...ning_randomly/

TL;DR - it's still happening in TU12.

That is exactly the issue I'm having. Very inconsistent, but looks exactly like that. My GPU/CPU usage doesn't seem to tank or anything when it happens, the framerate just becomes very inconsistent and choppy, no matter what I try:

-Rolled back 2 previous drivers.
    -Clean install of Game.
    -Clean install of Windows.
    -Adding/Removing overclocking features on GPU/CPU.
    -Various other driver updates.
    -No background software that could be causing this and it's very recent, as of the last major update for me.

Really annoying.

I've recorded a few instances where I will stay in a fast travel screen or in Jefferson Trade Center I tried to open a pair of doors and after a few attempts I tried to fast travel back to The White House.... While attempting the fast travel, it stayed in the fast travel loading screen for some time. It finally did take me to my destination and I quickly returned to JTC and the doors were miraculously opened. Hahaaa. I am on pc with blah blah build (2080, i7-9700k, blah blah. Seems lately that this game has been acting up. I also get a few Delta -03 errors while messing with my gear by Inaya at the crafting bench. (Or is she tired of my flirting? lol) So while it could be internet/ping/etc it could also be the game?

FWIW, the folks on reddit pointed out that this started happening around the transition from uplay to ubisoft connect.

In other words, don't bother reinstalling the game or windows. It needs to be addressed on ubisoft's side.

Sircowdog1's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't know if this will help, but I was having periodic, severe game freezes and stuttering over the past month or so. I was able to fix it using advice from reddit from over a year ago.

Windows 10, DX12.

Increase the pagefile on your system(google that)
    Run the division 2 exe as administrator.
    Change the advanced options for the exe to disable full-screen optimizations.

Since those changes a week ago, everything has been butter smooth.

Originally Posted by Sircowdog1 Go to original post
    I don't know if this will help, but I was having periodic, severe game freezes and stuttering over the past month or so. I was able to fix it using advice from reddit from over a year ago.

Windows 10, DX12.

Increase the pagefile on your system(google that)
    Run the division 2 exe as administrator.
    By default, Windows manages the pagefile automatically, so increasing the size should make no difference. Though I'm interested in what you set it to.

Similarly, running as an administrator should not be necessary given that it wasn't for the previous 18 months before this started happening.

Originally Posted by dagrommit Go to original post
    By default, Windows manages the pagefile automatically, so increasing the size should make no difference. Though I'm interested in what you set it to.

Similarly, running as an administrator should not be necessary given that it wasn't for the previous 18 months before this started happening.

I couldn't say why it worked. I only know that it did.

I set the pagefile to 10000 (the windows auto set was like 4630 or something).

And I don't think it was necessarily that running it as administrator was the key, but turning off full screen optimization.

I can only guess that maybe there's some kind of memory leak or something that this corrected or mitigated. I went through a bunch of other troubleshooting solutions to no effect: Update drivers, verified files for Division 2, switching from Dx11 to Dx12 and back, and countless fiddling with Nvidia settings and game graphic settings. Nothing worked until those last two.

Yep, I have the same issue. And I can swear it started right after the transition to Ubisoft Connect. But, as always, Ubisoft doesn't see any responsibility, so it has to be an issue on users end. Like, we all have changed our hard- and software recently, am I right!?

I couldn't say why it worked. I only know that it did.

I set the pagefile to 10000 (the windows auto set was like 4630 or something).

And I don't think it was necessarily that running it as administrator was the key, but turning off full screen optimization.

I can only guess that maybe there's some kind of memory leak or something that this corrected or mitigated. I went through a bunch of other troubleshooting solutions to no effect: Update drivers, verified files for Division 2, switching from Dx11 to Dx12 and back, and countless fiddling with Nvidia settings and game graphic settings. Nothing worked until those last two.
    A "solution" that was posted a year ago is unlikely to be *the* solution for a problem that started occurring a few weeks ago. Having said that, I tried these changes and it made no difference:
    - set fixed pagefile size to 16GB
    - ran as administrator (warning - this is generally a BAD idea)
    - switched off threaded optimization in nvidia drivers (already running latest - 460.89)

A "solution" that was posted a year ago is unlikely to be *the* solution for a problem that started occurring a few weeks ago. Having said that, I tried these changes and it made no difference:
    - set fixed pagefile size to 16GB
    - ran as administrator (warning - this is generally a BAD idea)
    - switched off threaded optimization in nvidia drivers (already running latest - 460.89)
    Did you try the full screen optimization thing?

This is what I'm set to currently.

Did you try the full screen optimization thing?

This is what I'm set to currently.

No, because borderless fullscreen is needed to get the best out of G-Sync, and it wasn't necessary for the last 18 months. I'll also note that this has affected people with both nvidia and AMD cards, so it's not hardware specific.

No, because borderless fullscreen is needed to get the best out of G-Sync, and it wasn't necessary for the last 18 months. I'll also note that this has affected people with both nvidia and AMD cards, so it's not hardware specific.
    Oh well. Just sharing what seemed to work for me. Before this setting change I was getting the exact stuttering issue, and even complete crashes, that other people were describing. I'd rather have smoother FPS without Gsync than stuttering play with it.

Oh well. Just sharing what seemed to work for me. Before this setting change I was getting the exact stuttering issue, and even complete crashes, that other people were describing. I'd rather have smoother FPS without Gsync than stuttering play with it.
    You misunderstand what people are experiencing. The game runs as smoothly as it did before, with a nice high framerate. The sudden drops in framerate occur at unpredictable intervals for a second before returning to normal. They can occur anywhere from a few minutes to tens of minutes apart, with no apparent common game related trigger (e.g. level up, user join, map change) or hardware/software combination.

You misunderstand what people are experiencing. The game runs as smoothly as it did before, with a nice high framerate. The sudden drops in framerate occur at unpredictable intervals for a second before returning to normal. They can occur anywhere from a few minutes to tens of minutes apart, with no apparent common game related trigger (e.g. level up, user join, map change) or hardware/software combination.
    i have this exact thing here, game used to run butter smooth, its only recently i have had these stutters.

Maybe so.

It does sound similar, but not exactly the same as my issue. It sounds like it could be the CPU issue where it occasionally spikes. Although maybe it could be something to do with the way the client loads certain parts of the game. It's definitely an irritation to troubleshoot.

Riflemania's Avatar Senior Member
    This is why consoles can be superior.....

Maybe so.

It does sound similar, but not exactly the same as my issue. It sounds like it could be the CPU issue where it occasionally spikes. Although maybe it could be something to do with the way the client loads certain parts of the game. It's definitely an irritation to troubleshoot.
    I kept hwinfo on when I was logging occurrences. This graphs CPU usage over time, and there were no visible spikes. My theory is that it's some sort of back end issue triggered by a slow update to your character data, but I have no proof of that.

Originally Posted by Riflemania Go to original post
    This is why consoles can be superior.....
    True, it's much harder to notice framerate drops when you're getting a lofty 30 FPS. And an upscaled image at that

I have lags and frame drops too. I have MIke error 03 too.

desrocchi's Avatar Senior Member
    I've been playing flawlessly for the past 2 days, since an hour ago I can play for 5 minutes then get delta-3.

Checked the internet connection and I have no problems at all.

True, it's much harder to notice framerate drops when you're getting a lofty 30 FPS. And an upscaled image at that
    I'm glad someone else said it first.

I'm really glad the new generation of consoles finally has bare minimum hardware for 60 fps, so the people who've been without will finally see what they've beem missing.

IXI_ROGUE_IXI's Avatar Senior Member

I'm really glad the new generation of consoles finally has bare minimum hardware for 60 fps, so the people who've been without will finally see what they've beem missing.
    Well, 60fps... it's just a standard lol. I can't go back to console anymore.

Sorry but what a load of rubbish, i was around my friends house the other day and we was comparing games, first one we chose was Cyberpunk as that has not been optimized for the new consoles yet and there was very little difference between them both.

Then compared Forza Horizon 4 which has been optimized for the new consoles and i saw no difference.

Same goes for some other titles, dunno why but it seems most people seem to think that the games that are out right now on the next gen consoles is the best they can give, it won't be until atleast a year until we see the full potential of the consoles.

All games you see right now was made on the old gen, some have been optimized but still are only using around 15% of the consoles potential.

And then there is the case of t.v's catching up, there is not many HDMI 2.1 t.v's out there that fulfil all of the requirements for the new consoles.

Basically it's early days!!

I suppose there are some out there with a tissue in one hand and the other hand counting pixels

p.s Before someone asks, yes he has a very good p.c.

Originally Posted by Riflemania Go to original post
    first one we chose was Cyberpunk as that has not been optimized for the new consoles yet and there was very little difference between them both.
    Sorry but no, just no. You can't say that.
    Your friend doesn't know how to run a game on his pc.

Originally Posted by IXI_ROGUE_IXI Go to original post
    Sorry but no, just no. You can't say that.
    Your friend doesn't know how to run a game on his pc.
    I was not on about FPS, that i could notice, gotta remember that Cyberpunk has not been optimized yet for consoles.

As for my friend not knowing how to run a game on his p.c, well his like a geek god when it comes to p.c's, he runs his p.c at full without shortening the life of the components inside....which a lot of people out there do just to get the best graphics out of their p.c.

Oh and when i say notice i mean i'm not one of those people with a tissue in one hand and the other hand counting pixels.

Maybe so.

the main problem between both Divisions is that Division 1 was always set to Priority Normal in Task manager, you could swap this to Low to prevent Division from overloading your CPU, at the cost of maybe some frames, but no stutters or lag.
    division 2 does not allowed this, meaning you are stuck at 100% cpu usuage cause devs can't fix this damn engine problem.

Luckly i do have a work around but it is tedious but works wonders,
    step 1: Start uplay
    step 2: open task manager > Details > Find Uplay.exe > Rightclick > Set priority LOW
    Step 3: Start division 2
    Step 4: same as step 2 but for Division 2 > Check if priority is LOW (if yes you have succeeded, if not find other Uplay .exe files and set all of them to low)

honestly this fixes Mouse lag too
    Frame lag too
    Stutters and even crashes

imo the devs did a VERY POOR management on the Engine and every update for me atleast it gets worse and worse

Originally Posted by RavennesVR Go to original post
    meaning you are stuck at 100% cpu usuage cause devs can't fix this damn engine problem.

My CPU usage is at 40% max. GPU 99%.
    You guys may have some issues somewhere.