1. #1

    Official Mod Support

    Now that the last DLC has been released and the updates will come to a close eventually, wouldn't it be great to have official mod support for Anno 1800? The community has already created wonderful mods with the limited possibilites we were given, and they are widely used. Hardly anyone I know plays the game without some parts of Spice It Up.

    I am aware that a game that is sustained by its community isn't desirable for a publisher like Ubisoft, but the game would benefit a lot from more mods being released. Anno has so many differents kinds of players who each appreciate different aspects of the game. The developers can't tailor the game to fit everone's preferences, but individual modders can.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  2. #2
    With devs being unable to implement such a simple feature as pause or slower game speed, I strongly doubt they would handle providing mod support
    Share this post

  3. #3
    Don't be rude. They have done a lot of great work on this game, and the things you talk about are entirely unrelated to this topic.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  4. #4
    First, I'm not rude
    Second, it is related. To add mod support you need to modify game logic to provide some API for mods, or support external content.
    If the game hasn't been written with that in mind then changing it to supportit would require core changes much more complicated than adding pause.

    It seems Ubi has been using the same engine for Anno since Anno 1404, and I can't remember them supporting mods.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  5. #5
    If the developers were a litttle more open about the game and give us more info on how it works that would help a lot.
    Especially an overview of the .rda files. Where things are generally, and what can be modded.
    More info on the GUIDs and how they work. What ranges of GUIDs are available for modders to use.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by jamiechi Go to original post
    If the developers were a litttle more open about the game and give us more info on how it works that would help a lot.
    Especially an overview of the .rda files. Where things are generally, and what can be modded.
    More info on the GUIDs and how they work. What ranges of GUIDs are available for modders to use.
    FYI, That already happens

    There are plenty of posts/websites about modding in Anno 1800. And Ubisoft also posted an anno union blogpost to establish a "free to be used with mods" GUID range.


    Originally Posted by Procnessil Go to original post
    First, I'm not rude
    Second, it is related. To add mod support you need to modify game logic to provide some API for mods, or support external content.
    If the game hasn't been written with that in mind then changing it to supportit would require core changes much more complicated than adding pause.

    It seems Ubi has been using the same engine for Anno since Anno 1404, and I can't remember them supporting mods.
    There is already a non-documented Python API, and you can do quite a lot of things with the mods already.

    I'd rather Ubisoft keep working on doing a great game than have to support mods in an official manner, because that also means they will have to pay attention to compatibility issues & related things.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Brumiros Go to original post

    I'd rather Ubisoft keep working on doing a great game that have to support mods in an official manner, because that also means they will have to pay attention to compatibility issues & related things.
    i love it that the Devs are really ok with players using mods, some games you'd get booted.

    Brumiros, i have looked for an anno post which has "free to be used with mods" GUID range...all i am seeing is a bunch of posts about crashing lol, any chance you can take a minute to share the post you mean please?
    Share this post

  8. #8
    Ubi-Thorlof's Avatar Anno Community Developer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    590
    We communicated on the safe GUID range in this blog post
    https://anno-union.com/new-anno-unio...nno-afternoon/
    Share this post

  9. #9
    thankyou Thorlof
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Yes. The GUID info is helpful. Thanks.
    Could we get a sticky thread that has pointers to info for us new users?
    I found out recently about the RDA explorer on Github on the Fandom Anno 1404 web site. I never played that game so I never thought to look there and found it by accident.
    The Nexus forums about Anno 1800 are dead.
    The Fandom Anno 1800 web site is slowly changing but not complete. (And does not mention the RDA explorer.)
    I did figure out how to extract Assets.xml from the first RDA file and managed to figure out how a lot of it is structured and where to find some stuff. (Comparing with a simple mod helps.)
    There are plenty of posts/websites about modding in Anno 1800 ...
    Can one give a couple of places to look for this info that I have not been able to find? I would greatly appreciate it.
    And I am not interested in trying to convert the German Anno sites to English to get info. Very time intensive.
    Looking at the WIKIs and other places about former ANNO games help but I don't always know what is relevant for this specific game.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post