rabbitts's Avatar Senior Member

BASS Challenge: BiWeek 30 - Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Bass) Nov 9 - 22

Welcome to the revamped Bass Challenges!!

Here’s how it works:

• Every two weeks we will select a song that will be the focus of our practice and play during the challenge. The goal here is to create a community environment where we encourage and help one another to improve/polish our bass playing.

ANYONE can join in – from absolute beginners to bass aficionados.

• While practicing in Learn-a-song and Riff Repeater will almost certainly be a part of challenge, each participant will eventually need to submit a score in Score Attack by the end of the challenge.

• You can complete Score Attack at ANY level of difficulty: Easy, Medium, or Hard.

• To participate, simply reply to this song thread with your level, score, accuracy, and note streak in the title. For example: HSA 1,000,000 | 98% | 389 NS | Next: Kiss - Love Gun.

• Your song choice for the next challenge should also be listed in your title or post.

• If you want, you can also post a screenshot from your Score Attack in your post.

• If you improve your score at any time during the challenge period, simply revise your earlier post with the new score.

• At the end of the challenge period, we will choose a new song randomly from all the participants’ choices.

Our current challenge song is Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Bass). This challenge will run from November 9th - 22nd 2020.

rabbitts's Avatar Senior Member
    I screwed up the dates -- should be 9th - 22nd...

HSA 295,580 / 93.46% / 83NS Next - Miss Murder

I really struggle with this song - I thought choosing it might give me some incentive to improve.

I have found that if I relax and just go with the flow in LAS, not worrying about the misses, then it is quite fun to play. Put me in Score Attack though and the mindset changes and every miss increases the tension which destroys the flow. The result is a score even worse than what I have achieved previously.

16/11/20 - HSA 224,926 / 89.97% / 44NS
    17/11/20 - HSA 295,580 / 93.46% / 83NS

RollingStone222's Avatar Senior Member

HSA 1,442,784 | 99.78% | 408 NS | Live - I Alone

Tom_Stoker's Avatar Junior Member
    MartynQ, RollingStone222, Whi7eRose73 and others...

I would like to keep the Guitar and Bass Challenges going until rabbitts returns. I propose changing the names to "rabbitts Guitar Challenge" and "rabbitts Bass Challenge".

I do not know if I need forum permission for this and being the newest one here hardly makes me the obvious choice, so I am not going to proceed without some type of feedback from at least the three of you. Do we proceed? If someone else would like to act as moderator that would be great with me.

Fine by me!

Z1ronJones's Avatar Member
    I'm fine with Tom starting new threads, it actually used to be so that starting the new threads was an alternating responsibility, i.e. every time a different person created the thread. I wouldn't maybe change the naming, the topic line has limited length and a new name just adds confusion.

Whi7eRose73 and Z1ronJones

Thanks for the feedback.

Still waiting for something on the Guitar side.

Z1ronJones

Regarding the title I agree with your points and if I go forward I will add a comment to instruction portion indicating I am filling in for rabbitts.

Whi7eRose73

Regarding your comments about LAS vs. Score Attack.

I read a related article some time back by a bass player published in Sweetnotes. I searched Sweetwater's Knowledge Base but was unable to find the article so I will do my best to paraphrase.

The central theme of his discussion was breathing and how it affects our playing. Stress when playing a difficult passage and excitement while playing an emotionally charged piece often changes the way we breath. Steady even breaths become shorter and irregular. This affects the heart rate. And all of this combines to make our actions less controlled and lacking the smooth flow required to make good music.

The key is to recognize this when it happens and divert a chunk of your mind to bringing your breathing back under control. The autonomous systems will make sure you breath to live, but it will not keep you on an even keel without intervention.

It helped me. Maybe you too.

MartynQ's Avatar Senior Member
    Seems easier and cleaner to reply in the thread that's already had responses. I don't have a strong opinion, though I do agree with what has been said about the title.

Recently I've been struggling to find the time to get much practice in. Work has been very heavy while we cope with the pandemic situation. I would not be surprised if Rabbitts is finding similar issues.

I've also lacked inspiration when it comes to suggested song choices. By now I've passed Hard score attack on quite a lot of songs, so it seems a bit off to pick one of those, while plenty of others are clearly out of my pay-grade at HSA, so I tend not to choose them.

Gentlemen,

I think it is time to call it a day.

I foresee a Guitar Challenge without interest, so I will not be continuing the challenges.

Thank you for your time and feedback.