Pretty sure I've encountered this same bug, and it seems to be primarily to do with items being placed on other items.

Like, make a stack of pillars, save the map, and come back to it. Now if you delete any item (even if its not related to the pillar stack in any way), the pillar stack will also be deleted (aside from the base).

This also happens if you delete the pillar stack yourself and then undo it.

Hopefully this helps.

I just want to add to this that I have experienced the same issue and have been avoiding it by using freeplace all the time. It always seems to be items that are placed in item mode (first of the 3 options) get deleted.

Ubi-Milky's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hey Trackmaniadude and SparklingW, thanks for adding your experience, this should prove helpful to the team I believe and have added it to our report on erasing items in the map editor.

The team also wanted to know if this only affects custom blocks in the Editor mode or all blocks so I will let them know. Thanks again.

In my experience it happens to all items. both custom made and ingame premade items. It does not seem to happen to blocks.

Ubi-Milky's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Thanks for clarifying SparklingW and sorry for the delay getting back to you. I will make sure this information is added to the investigation, thanks again for your input and bringing this to our attention.