🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Assassin's Creed Valhalla forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new beta platform to discuss the game
    bclarg's Avatar Member

Not ready to leave Windows 7

I am considering AC Valhalla but note that it does not mention Windows 7 or 8.

My Windows 7 platform is currently a very stable platform with a semi-current nVidia card so I am not really looking forward to updating to Windows 10 which has an interface that I do not like.

With the exception of the OS, my system meets or exceeds all of the Valhalla requirements.

Do I HAVE to have Windows 10 or later to run AC Valhalla?

Thx,

KmarkoPL's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by bclarg Go to original post
    I am considering AC Valhalla but note that it does not mention Windows 7 or 8.

My Windows 7 platform is currently a very stable platform with a semi-current nVidia card so I am not really looking forward to updating to Windows 10 which has an interface that I do not like.

With the exception of the OS, my system meets or exceeds all of the Valhalla requirements.

Do I HAVE to have Windows 10 or later to run AC Valhalla?

Thx,
    Yes Windows 10 is requirement for Valhalla even on minimum.

Originally Posted by KmarkoPL Go to original post
    Yes Windows 10 is requirement for Valhalla even on minimum.
    This is not the answer. The reason they did not list Windows 7 could be that it was officially no longer supported at the beginning of this year. The key question here is whether the game only supports DX12 or whether DX11 support will remain. If the game only supports DX12, then most likely it will not be possible to run it on Windows 7. If the game supports DX11, then it can still be run on Windows 7, but the developers do not want to give guarantees that the game will work stably on this OS.

I am more than satisfied with the stability of my current Windows 7, which for 5 years has never failed. I don't have the slightest desire to switch to the very dubious and scandalous Windows 10.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by VaIius Go to original post
    This is not the answer. The reason they did not list Windows 7 could be that it was officially no longer supported at the beginning of this year. The key question here is whether the game only supports DX12 or whether DX11 support will remain. If the game only supports DX12, then most likely it will not be possible to run it on Windows 7. If the game supports DX11, then it can still be run on Windows 7, but the developers do not want to give guarantees that the game will work stably on this OS.

I am more than satisfied with the stability of my current Windows 7, which for 5 years has never failed. I don't have the slightest desire to switch to the very dubious and scandalous Windows 10.
    Yes the game uses DX12
    Here is the answer

Originally Posted by KmarkoPL Go to original post
    Yes the game uses DX12
    I don’t understand English by ear, so it’s difficult for me to understand what this video is about. But again, this is not the answer. Does the game ONLY use DX12 or use DX12 technologies but support DX11 technologies? These are two big differences. Anyway, I'm not planning on changing the OS just because of this game. I will wait for the first comments after the release, and there it will already be seen whether it is worth buying it for playing on Windows 7 or is it better to postpone it until better years.

bclarg's Avatar Member
    Valius: Thank-you! You understood my question completely! I also appreciate your well-thought out intelligent answer. Obviously I was already familiar with the graph that was displayed by another poster.

Regarding Direct-X, that is a question only Ubisoft can answer and one I hope they do. My cpu, video card and ram easily meet or exceed the requirements so I hope I can stay with my current platform.

On a sidebar: I may consider a dual boot system. But I hate to do that just for a game.

bclarg's Avatar Member
    KmarkoPL: Thanks for posting the video. It answered the question better than a simple graph.

UbiExcellent's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hi everyone! DirectX 12 is required to run Assassin's Creed Valhalla optimally on the PC. We've made a post about this here. I'm very sorry for any disappointment caused by this news, but I do appreciate you all adding to this thread!

Hello Support,

You said that the game requires DirectX 12. But as far as I can see, since August / September 2019 DirectX12 is support under Windows 7. So for me the question remains: Do I need Windows 10 as an operating system? Or is this mainly about DirectX and about Windows 7 being out of support? I think there are more guys who consider buying the game right away but are not willing to upgrade their whole operating system. If you could clear that up, that would be nice. Otherwise we all have to wait until the game is out and until someone tried it. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by werde88 Go to original post
    Hello Support,

You said that the game requires DirectX 12. But as far as I can see, since August / September 2019 DirectX12 is support under Windows 7. So for me the question remains: Do I need Windows 10 as an operating system? Or is this mainly about DirectX and about Windows 7 being out of support? I think there are more guys who consider buying the game right away but are not willing to upgrade their whole operating system. If you could clear that up, that would be nice. Otherwise we all have to wait until the game is out and until someone tried it. Thanks in advance.
    Windows 7 have just bare bone basic version of DX 12, and that is also why windows 10 is required, witch supports fully DX 12.