Assassins Creed: Playing Co-op...Pros and Cons?

In AC Unity, it appears that you are limited, have less options, and less rewards if you don't play in "Co-op" Mode/Missions. Is playing these by yourself the same as playing them with other gamers? Do you get the same results/rewards/difficulty level? Have experienced, shall we say, "less than sociable/friendly" gamers in other Multiplayer/Co-op games, in the past, so just gave up on that, and play Singleplayer Mode instead.
    Is it possible to even finish these difficult Co-op Missions doing it solo? (I find myself swarmed by hungry, piranha-like guards when playing these Missions, making them impossible to finish/complete).
    Also, are there any real limtiations to playing the AC series "Offline" rather than "Online"? Do most AC Gamers play "Offline" or "Online"?

Locopells's Avatar Moderator
    It's perfectly possibly to do them on your own, although some may take a little practise (The Tournament in particular).

I think there may be an achievement for do any one mission in co-op, but beyond that you can get all the mission rewards on your own.

For guard swarms, make good use of the ol' standbye - smoke bombs!

Offline vs Online doesn't really make a difference these days. We're a long way from ACII's now-removed 'Must Be Online To Play' DRM, so the only thing you may miss is the odd social feature, or store access in the later games. Multiplayer is a different matter, obviously, but I get the impression that's not your thing.

Originally Posted by Locopells Go to original post
    It's perfectly possibly to do them on your own, although some may take a little practise (The Tournament in particular).

I think there may be an achievement for do any one mission in co-op, but beyond that you can get all the mission rewards on your own.

Offline vs Online doesn't really make a difference these days. We're a long way from ACII's now-removed 'Must Be Online To Play' DRM, so the only thing you may miss is the odd social feature, or store access in the later games. Multiplayer is a different matter, obviously, but I get the impression that's not your thing.

Thanks for the reply Locopells!
    The smoke bombs have worked great for me in the earlier AC games, but in "Unity" and "Syndicate" not so much. The effect seems much weaker and very short lasting - enough to take out 2 guards at most, before the rest are fully recovered and back to Terminator mode. Haven't tried Mutltiplayer AC, since as I mentioned, in other online Multiplayer games I've found the gamers to be clique-ish, and hostile/toxic/contemptuous of noobs/beginners and people whose skills don't match their own (which of course are quite good). I've seen a few Youtube videos of AC Multiplayer. Have you played Mp and Co-op, and if so, what has been your experience?
     1 people found this helpful

I haven't played either for some time - Co-Op I can rarely get a pairing and the earlier MP aren't that populated either. Black Flag's might still be active, as the last one, and they've all got dedicated fans somewhere, if you can find them, so you may get lucky! Toxicity was, in my experience, a lot less than other MP games, partially because it was a whole different style of play to the 'run around and shoot everything' style that marks most MPs...

I haven't played either for some time - Co-Op I can rarely get a pairing and the earlier MP aren't that populated either. Black Flag's might still be active, as the last one, and they've all got dedicated fans somewhere, if you can find them, so you may get lucky! Toxicity was, in my experience, a lot less than other MP games, partially because it was a whole different style of play to the 'run around and shoot everything' style that marks most MPs...
    I've seen a few AC Multiplayer gamers' Youtube videos, and some of them say they host their own servers on Discord/etc. Is Discord/etc safe/secure? I installed Discord one time (not to long ago) to see what it had to offer (online gaming-wise). Decided to uninstall it (since I ended up not using it), and I found it really sinks it's hooks into Windows 10.

After uninstalling Discord, I had to also manually search for and delete left over folders/directories, and entries that were still in the Windows registry (using regedit). Maybe I'm too cautious, but I don't trust apps/programs that don't fully uninstall, or that insert themselves throughout the whole Windows system. Discord also automatically configured itself to start/load when I boot up my laptop, and would pop up in games, trying to get me to use it - very annoying. For those reasons I'm very hesitant to reinstall it to try out AC Multiplayer/Co-op.

Does Ubisoft have any hosting servers for any of the AC Series? That would seem to be more secure(?) And when you do play AC Multiplayer or Co-op (using the Uplay app), is it on their own servers, or are you re-directed to a third-party server?
    Nice to hear you experienced less toxicity with AC Multiplayers. I saw in the recent poll here that there were players of many ages, compared to other games. Maybe that's why (not that one's age is always an indicator of intellectual/emotional/psychological maturity, of course).

As far as I know, Discord's OK - you can use the browser version if you're unsure about installing it again, although I don't know if it's possible to host games that way.

I'm not sure what servers Ubi are using for the AC MPs, though I would assume it's still their own, I've never heard otherwise.

ACMP had a fairly unique approach to MP games at the time - the stealth. Running around like a COD game would just get you killed, so tended to put off the toxic end of that community (possibly an age thing, who knows?). You'd still get idiots of course, but it was far less common.

Decided to give AC Unity another try. Upgraded gear/skills, (and as you suggested) the liberal use of smoke bombs made a big difference. Also decided to try Co-op, enjoyed it, and actually ended up wishing there were more Co-op Missions (they're so much easier when you're not alone). I guess not a lot of people play Co-op, as some of the Missions didn't find players, but the ones that did appear were very good (and it made me realize how much I still have to improve). Playing Co-op online also earned points so I could upgrade "Skills", which makes the game easier/more enjoyable.

As far as I know, Discord's OK - you can use the browser version if you're unsure about installing it again, although I don't know if it's possible to host games that way.

I'm not sure what servers Ubi are using for the AC MPs, though I would assume it's still their own, I've never heard otherwise.

ACMP had a fairly unique approach to MP games at the time - the stealth. Running around like a COD game would just get you killed, so tended to put off the toxic end of that community (possibly an age thing, who knows?). You'd still get idiots of course, but it was far less common.
    Yeah, I need to work on my Stealth Skills before I give Multiplayer a try, 'cause in solo games I tend to just rush in there and start swinging. 😎

Glad it's working out. You should still get the skill points if you play offline, FYI - keep an eye out for skill point collectable within the co-op missions as well (in addition to the mission rewards), they can boost you quite a lot.

Glad it's working out. You should still get the skill points if you play offline, FYI - keep an eye out for skill point collectable within the co-op missions as well (in addition to the mission rewards), they can boost you quite a lot.
    I am getting some Skill Points when playing offline, but haven't seen the Skill Point Collectibles in offline Co-op Missions. Maybe I've just overlooked them in the heat of battle. Guess I'll need to be more observant. 😎

They're usually hidden quite well, off the main mission path - you may want to find a map.