Why Ubisoft discriminates me?

I'm a big fan of Assassin's Creed series, so when Rogue went on sale on Steam I bought it instantly. To my surprised and disappointment I found out that version of the game that can be bought from Russia contains only Russian language. This greatly restricts my gameplay experience because I prefer to play my games in the language of the original.

Looking further I found out that for some reason three games out of Assassin's creed series have this restriction - Rogue, Unity and Syndicate. AC3 and Black Flag, despite being fully localized into Russian, and the last two games in the series, Origins and Odyssey, don't have this restriction. And I hope Valhalla will not have them either.

And I'm not the only one that has this issue with languages in Ubisoft's games. Here is a post on a popular Russian gaming site with a very speaking title - How Ubisoft steals languages.

Why Ubisoft has such discriminating sales policy for these games? At first I thought that maybe because of it's low price for Russia (829₽ = $10.60), but as can be seen in Steamdb, the version of the game that can be bought from Brasil has almost the same price (R$ 59,99 = $10.55) and no such restrictions. Moreover, it is fully localized to Brazilian Portuguese, but players buying this game in Brasil are not restricted to this language.
    AC:Odyssey's prices are also low, but neither Brazilian nor Russian versions have "local language only" restrictions.

What's more ridiculous, if I would get Syndicate for free during EGS give-away I would have it in English. But other people from Russia has the opposite problem, they can't get Russian language in their games as can be witnessed, for example, in this article on Ubisoft's support site.
    But there is no way I can legally buy this game from Russia. Even if I would somehow buy a EU or US version I wouldn't be able to activate it on my Uplay account.
    Also Ubisoft's Russian support was absolutely unhelpful in this regard, we have been corresponding for almost two weeks now to no avail (ticket 12726102). Thankfully, English support accepted this simple fact on Steam forum.

My question is - why there is such sales policy just for Russia and just for these three games?

And second - for the time being my solution was to return the game that I bought. Steam support was kind enough to refund me and removed AC:Rogue from my Steam Library. For some reason it's still present in my games list on Uplay. Would you be so kind to remove this game from my Uplay list since the only thing it does now is reminding me of my negative experience.

KmarkoPL's Avatar Senior Member
    And why you writhe/ spam that here ?!
    This here is PC support for AC Valhalla game !

Originally Posted by KmarkoPL Go to original post
    And why you writhe/ spam that here ?!
    This here is PC support for AC Valhalla game !
    My bad, I misplaced it. Asked mods to move it to appropriate forum.

UBI-Froggard's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff EMEA
    Hey,

When you buy a game using Russian or Chinese currency, you only get a version with limited languages in that version, because games are generally cheaper in those regions. If this wasn't the case, people would be able to use VPN's to disguise themselves in those regions, buy the game cheaper, and have the game in any language they want. Obviously prices over time decrease in various locations on a game, but at release of a game, it is quite a bit cheaper in those regions.

We can remove the game from your library, yes. It should happen automatically once it has been detected that a refund has already been issues from Steam, but for us to do this, please create a support ticket / live chat for this here. You can also private message us on Twitter or Facebook if you prefer.

You can also just right click the game in Uplay and choose to hide it if you prefer.

Originally Posted by UBI-Froggard Go to original post
    When you buy a game using Russian or Chinese currency, you only get a version with limited languages in that version, because games are generally cheaper in those regions.
    Obviously prices over time decrease in various locations on a game, but at release of a game, it is quite a bit cheaper in those regions.
    As I wrote before this somehow doesn't apply to Brasil. The game on realize was R$ 59,99 (about $22 at the time) for Brazil and 1799₽ (about $26 at that time) for Russia. So despite being cheaper in USD, the Brazilian version still allows to switch to all languages, not just Brazilian Portuguese.

If this wasn't the case, people would be able to use VPN's to disguise themselves in those regions, buy the game cheaper, and have the game in any language they want.
    Why is AC3, Black Flag, Origins and Odyssey (and most probably Valhalla) is not protected this way?

And yet again there is literally no legal way I can get the English version of this games in Russia. Even if I purchase the expensive EU or US version I can't activate it from Russia.

UBI-Froggard's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff EMEA
    There is no Brazilian version of the game with limited languages, or for any of our games for that matter, so I'm not aware of there being a large price difference there for games on release. Origins and Odyssey do have region locked versions for RU and CN. Black Flag and AC3 may not have had this kind of treatment originally when they released as it may not have been a common thing people were aware of to buy games cheaper back then, I couldn't say for sure.

If you did own a key from EU or US regions but have any issues activating it, you would be able to use a VPN to do that and wouldn't need to have the VPN on every time to play it. Once it's activated it can be played from anywhere.

There is no Brazilian version of the game with limited languages, or for any of our games for that matter, so I'm not aware of there being a large price difference there for games on release.
    Regardless of that, the prices on Steam for Brazil are the same as for Russia and significantly cheaper (-26.29% at the moment) than for China. You can check them out (not just the current ones, but also price history) on SteamDB.

Origins and Odyssey do have region locked versions for RU and CN.
    Despite of this both Steam and Uplay store state that these games are available in all possible languages. Why this is not the case with Rogue, Unity and Syndicate?

If you did own a key from EU or US regions but have any issues activating it, you would be able to use a VPN to do that and wouldn't need to have the VPN on every time to play it. Once it's activated it can be played from anywhere.
    The comments on the Russian gaming site that a linked before (How Ubisoft steals languages) state that it's breaching of EULA and your Ubisoft account can get suspended or even banned for this. Can you please elaborate?

Originally Posted by Red_Khan Go to original post
    The comments on the Russian gaming site that a linked before (How Ubisoft steals languages) state that it's breaching of EULA and your Ubisoft account can get suspended or even banned for this. Can you please elaborate?
    I would really like to know the answer for this.

Ubi-Raziel's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hello! Let me try to answer each point.

Regardless of that, the prices on Steam for Brazil are the same as for Russia and significantly cheaper (-26.29% at the moment) than for China. You can check them out (not just the current ones, but also price history) on SteamDB.
    I'm unsure of the full reasoning behind the price in Brazil. The only information we have available to us is that prices may be lower in regions where not as many language packs are included.

Despite of this both Steam and Uplay store state that these games are available in all possible languages. Why this is not the case with Rogue, Unity and Syndicate?
    Hmm, my understanding is that they should only be available in those languages. I can raise this with our Store team, and they can make sure the right languages are shown on the website.

The use of a VPN is certainly not something we typically recommend. The reason being - It is often used to get around regional restrictions that have been put in place.

I believe Ubi-Froggard was explaining how a key would be activated, but it's not something we suggest. Apologies for the confusion.

The use of a VPN to get around regional restrictions is indeed against our Terms of Use: https://legal.ubi.com/termsofuse/

I would really like to know the answer for this.
    Sorry for the delay!

Originally Posted by Ubi-Raziel Go to original post
    Hmm, my understanding is that they should only be available in those languages. I can raise this with our Store team, and they can make sure the right languages are shown on the website.
    The Store shows the languages available correctly. The question I would lke your Store team to answer is why out of the whole series only these three games (Rogue, Unity and Syndicate) have language restrictions? And is it going to change?

Originally Posted by Ubi-Raziel Go to original post
    The use of a VPN is certainly not something we typically recommend. The reason being - It is often used to get around regional restrictions that have been put in place.

I believe Ubi-Froggard was explaining how a key would be activated, but it's not something we suggest. Apologies for the confusion.

The use of a VPN to get around regional restrictions is indeed against our Terms of Use: https://legal.ubi.com/termsofuse/
    Then the question is - is there a legal way of buying English versions of these games (Rogue, Unity and Syndicate) from Russia?