I would absolutely love a gunsmith that let you completely personalize your weapon, in a realistic manner.

Stocks - not only the style, but you should be able to choose how extended collapsible stocks are. Most have 4 or 5 positions.

Pistol Grips - different styles and wraps, using tape, rubberized grips, etc.

Hand guard - Style and length.

Gas system - changes rate of fire.

proper Rail systems - Allow the player to place sights and other rail attachment anywhere on the rail system.

Magazines - not only capacity, but the style (steel or plastic) magazines, as well as stuff like dual mags, or mag pulls
     4 people found this helpful

ManticButton's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by AI BLUEFOX Go to original post
    One of the things I really like about the Codemasters' F1 game (same Developer as Operation Flashpoint) is the variability and settings for tuning the car's handling. You can adjust angles and pressures of multiple parts and do so with settings that go from 1 to 10 or even fully variable. As you get used to the game the replayabilty comes from getting deeper into the settings, altering the car for different circuits and different weather conditions. Players love to discuss the set up options and what they do and how they interact together to get the best lap times, but one of the really great aspects of such control is that there isn't a "best" set up because it also depends on you the player and how aggressive you are in both you approach to driving and how you use your controller/mouse/steering wheel; one player's perfect set up is another player's disaster. Come the race you also need to decide how much fuel to carry, what type of tyres to use etc.

We could be here talking about the best weapons, attachments and weapon set up for specific missions and how we tend to approach them. I'd rather have fewer weapons if it meant total flexibility of attachments and a deeper access to a meaningful set up.
    I'm gonna be real honest that's a real turnoff for me and the reason I don't play racing games anymore

yeah I like games to not be simulators that doesn't mean I hate realistic ballistics but if all the ar 15's handle the same and deal the same damage why have them

I like tactical shooters not mil sim's I'd rather arcadey guns with lots of variety than uber realistic guns that just turns the game into an ar 15 simulator

not to mention and I don't wanna be that guy but how is your normal player supposed to handle a gas system from 1 to 100 or different barrel twists and weights of rounds
    I'm fine with having under gassed or over gassed weapons but it gets to a point where it'll just end up a min maxing simulator
     1 people found this helpful

ArgimonEd's Avatar Senior Member
    I rather be able to choose any rifle in 556, just because I like the looks of it, without having to feel handicapped because of un logical stats.
    It doesn't need to be a milsim.
    But there is no need to create completely different stats for what basicaly is the same gun.
    There is variety of 556 weapons in MW because it allows people to shop on looks.
     3 people found this helpful

AI BLUEFOX's Avatar Senior Member
    @megalodon, the game also has 3 factory presets you can choose from so if you don't want to get involved in the tuning you don't have to. A high grip mode which suffers from a much lower top speed, a fast set up that needs a lot of precision on how you take corners and one in the middle. The point is those that want to get into it can, but it doesn't mean you have to.

@megalodon, the game also has 3 factory presets you can choose from so if you don't want to get involved in the tuning you don't have to. A high grip mode which suffers from a much lower top speed, a fast set up that needs a lot of precision on how you take corners and one in the middle. The point is those that want to get into it can, but it doesn't mean you have to.
    I don't play racing games either, but that comment was actually from Mantic.

AvengerGR35's Avatar Senior Member
    One of the things I really like about the Codemasters' F1 game (same Developer as Operation Flashpoint) is the variability and settings for tuning the car's handling. You can adjust angles and pressures of multiple parts and do so with settings that go from 1 to 10 or even fully variable. As you get used to the game the replayabilty comes from getting deeper into the settings, altering the car for different circuits and different weather conditions. Players love to discuss the set up options and what they do and how they interact together to get the best lap times, but one of the really great aspects of such control is that there isn't a "best" set up because it also depends on you the player and how aggressive you are in both you approach to driving and how you use your controller/mouse/steering wheel; one player's perfect set up is another player's disaster. Come the race you also need to decide how much fuel to carry, what type of tyres to use etc.

We could be here talking about the best weapons, attachments and weapon set up for specific missions and how we tend to approach them. I'd rather have fewer weapons if it meant total flexibility of attachments and a deeper access to a meaningful set up.
    This. F1 is definitely a good example on freedom of tuning. I also like the management of engine components. Even though its a completely different genre Ubi could learn a thing or two from it. Especially in the updates part. Codies release updates for the game every 20 days while Ubi takes 3-4 months.

Originally Posted by Hugo-FOU Go to original post
    Players would really feel invested in their weapons, because they’d spent time tuning them.
    I obtained something of that feeling just from playing wildlands and gaining an understanding of what holdovers I should make with my preferred rifle and optic. Many recommendations in the original post would further enrich this experience. Granted I still believe Ubi should not waste time on variants, especially those that have clownish paints or cosmetic attachments. However, this mostly comes from my opinion of Ubi failing miserably in providing an adequate selection of authentic looking military cosmetics as well as the liberty they take to illogically change rifles for the sake of "game balance" such as the 15 round DMR magazines.

ManticButton's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Megalodon26 Go to original post
    I don't play racing games either, but that comment was actually from Mantic.
    hello

still I can explain the gunsmith from future soldier to someone rather easily can the same be said for anything arma

keep it simple honestly I think that we have too many grips and optics and stocks

they should really scale back the amount of attachments like grips and make them more meaningful example one angled grip one vertical grip and one bipod that have a very noticeable effect on the weapon than 6 vertical grips where 2 are just inferior and the other 4 are meh

honestly guns don't really stand out from one another as they are right now going a more exaggerated route could help weapons and so would scaling back on weapons

honestly take future soldiers gunsmith and apply the rule of three only three attachments in each category and if you wan't to add more than three really ask yourself if it'll be impact full and give the player a real choice to think about

I'm not saying ditch realistic rof, ballistics, or magazine sizes but damage recoil aim speed and other handling can be tweaked to create weapons that have more impact than "these 2 guns are exactly the same except gun 1 has 10 more meters of range but 3% more recoil where as gun 2 is the opposite"
    who cares the difference is negligible

same with guns have the 9 category's from breakpoint but use the rule of three
    three assault rifles three snipers etc

Originally Posted by ManticButton Go to original post
    hello

still I can explain the gunsmith from future soldier to someone rather easily can the same be said for anything arma

keep it simple honestly I think that we have too many grips and optics and stocks

they should really scale back the amount of attachments like grips and make them more meaningful example one angled grip one vertical grip and one bipod that have a very noticeable effect on the weapon than 6 vertical grips where 2 are just inferior and the other 4 are meh

honestly guns don't really stand out from one another as they are right now going a more exaggerated route could help weapons and so would scaling back on weapons

honestly take future soldiers gunsmith and apply the rule of three only three attachments in each category and if you wan't to add more than three really ask yourself if it'll be impact full and give the player a real choice to think about

I'm not saying ditch realistic rof, ballistics, or magazine sizes but damage recoil aim speed and other handling can be tweaked to create weapons that have more impact than "these 2 guns are exactly the same except gun 1 has 10 more meters of range but 3% more recoil where as gun 2 is the opposite"
    who cares the difference is negligible

same with guns have the 9 category's from breakpoint but use the rule of three
    three assault rifles three snipers etc

Mantic, I often agree with what you post, but reducing the amount of attachments to just a handful, is just absurd. I would rather that they add as many attachments as possible, but just make them cosmetic only. . I also think they should just ditch the weapon stats, other than maybe effective range. That way, once you're no longer worrying about getting some higher BS number and min/maxing the weapon, you can focus more just on how the weapon looks, feels and performs. .Just like in real life.

But if they do that, they need to add a range in Erewhon, or at the Outcasts village, where we can test the various weapons, and setups.
     2 people found this helpful

ArgimonEd's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah, I want to be able to run with the 416 and walk at a realistic pace, while ADS, the same way I want to be able to walk at the same speed while ADS with an MK17, with an ACR (Where's the ACR), with an MK18, with an 516.
    Makes no sense for an SMG to allow you to walk faster than a pistol, or for a pistol model allow for walking faster than another pistol model.
    The same way that makes zero sense for guns of the same caliber to have different stats.
     1 people found this helpful