El_Cuervacho's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Stomp0nMybaIls Go to original post
    I agree with this, Azrael is a good mechanic in theory, but the actual implementation is extremely lazy and doesn't "make me feel hunted".
    A good mechanic as long as it's a part of a larger whole, an overarching system of systems as it were. Same as every other aspect of this game, much like the archipelago itself, they're isolated, nothing synergizes with anything in this game. It's all fragmented. Same thing with consecuences which there are none for any action the player takes, NONE.
    Just like we've been saying for quite a while now: this game was braindead back in october, was born that way.
    No matter how much content you can pump into it through it's always online life-support system, it will never come back to life, the infrastructure just isn't there.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by glacierhusky Go to original post
    LOL is already reduced since last TU. I'm happy when my AI teams remind me in every 1 hour -literally, in every 1 hour in real time - that an azrael is incoming! Dunno how moooore easy you want the game to become!
    Like Steven says, the rate hasn't been reduced. When traversing the island on foot, or just wandering the "wilds", in a approximately 7-8 minutes cycle you will get a helo fly over, a delivery drone fly over, and an Azreal fly over, typically. ('ve had drastically increased air traffic as well with 3 helos and two Azraels in the span of just 5 minutes)
    There are certain triggers, like mission or base proximity, that will stop the flyovers. So it is very easy to avoid the mechanic if you're spending all your time fast traveling and rushing from mission to mission.

But again, like Steven says, it's not about difficulty. The core game play loop in Breakpoint is easy. Killing wolves is easy. Killing drones is easy. Avoiding Azreals is easy. Staying near bases is easy. Fast traveling is easy. Using helos or vehicles to travel is easy. The issue is that the mechanic is... pathetic.

What's another game you like to play? Let's imagine this same mechanic in that game.
    How about Dark Souls? Imagine a game mechanic there where every 7 minutes you simply need to press a button and wait 45 seconds, and if you don't do this, it will spawn 3 black nights with-in sight of you.
    How about Minecraft? Every 7 minutes, press a button and wait for 45 seconds OR 3 creepers spawn right next to you.

That's all the mechanic is... Do this contextual action every 7 minutes or trigger a 2nd mechanic that the rest of the industry has made a concerted effort to get away from because they know it's not skillful, immersive, or fun.

Originally Posted by Steven527 Go to original post
    LOL yeah I still remember when it first dawned on me that NO ONE was hunting me. Period. Even in the opening scene no one comes to your crash site. I guess maybe I was hanging in that tree longer than I thought and the search team just didn't see me.... or something. Closest was two guys fragging an empty bunker.
    That first mission is a microcosm of everything that's wrong with the PVE portion of this game.
    It was their chance to sell us into this whole concept and they squandered it, in such an incompetent fashion that is impossible for me to comprehend.

Originally Posted by CrockfordCK Go to original post
    Like Steven says, the rate hasn't been reduced. When traversing the island on foot, or just wandering the "wilds", in a approximately 7-8 minutes cycle you will get a helo fly over, a delivery drone fly over, and an Azreal fly over, typically. ('ve had drastically increased air traffic as well with 3 helos and two Azraels in the span of just 5 minutes)
    There are certain triggers, like mission or base proximity, that will stop the flyovers. So it is very easy to avoid the mechanic if you're spending all your time fast traveling and rushing from mission to mission.

But again, like Steven says, it's not about difficulty. The core game play loop in Breakpoint is easy. Killing wolves is easy. Killing drones is easy. Avoiding Azreals is easy. Staying near bases is easy. Fast traveling is easy. Using helos or vehicles to travel is easy. The issue is that the mechanic is... pathetic.

What's another game you like to play? Let's imagine this same mechanic in that game.
    How about Dark Souls? Imagine a game mechanic there where every 7 minutes you simply need to press a button and wait 45 seconds, and if you don't do this, it will spawn 3 black nights with-in sight of you.
    How about Minecraft? Every 7 minutes, press a button and wait for 45 seconds OR 3 creepers spawn right next to you.

That's all the mechanic is... Do this contextual action every 7 minutes or trigger a 2nd mechanic that the rest of the industry has made a concerted effort to get away from because they know it's not skillful, immersive, or fun.
    Indeed; and how about losing to that teleporting mob? Nothing, have a loading screen, respawn where you left off and that's about it, nothing to see here.
    Not even failing to evade capture in a setting where you and your team are the only survivors, on an enemy island cut off from the rest of the world has ANY consequence whatsoever.
    I'm so glad that you mentioned Dark Souls; How did From Software managed to traumatize their playerbase so thoroughly?
    Well, you simply stress inoculate players since the very begining, you throw in a terrible foe upfront; you wipe the floor with them but only so much.
    Even if the rest of the game wasn't as oppressive or challenging, that first impression you had is a lasting one.
    BP should've done that with the first mission, made it a harrowing, noisy, and terrible affair. Shown you what's like to experience a province in full alert, with lockdowns, search parties, drones, helos, searchlights, you name it. Taught you what the stakes were.

There is, in fact, another version of the opening to Breakpoint.
    Immediately after you gain control of Nomad, you are forced to stumble away into cover before you can bandage. Failing to find cover with-in about 20 seconds of the game starting would result in you getting gunned down by the two separate patrols(One consisting of 6 sammies, and the other of 3 wolves) that are rapidly moving toward your crash site.
    If you successfully evade them you'll need to keep your head really low, as the all aroudn the area there are two man patrols moving about. If you make it to the area with the grenade guys and the pill box you'd find an additional group of 6 sammies. The first crash site also has a squad of 4 sammies near by, with two wolves. And the hangar has about another half dozen troops wandering around in it.
    If you were unskilled or unlucky and got spotted by any one of these groups, all of these groups would come bearing down on you.

Originally Posted by crockfordck Go to original post
    there is, in fact, another version of the opening to breakpoint.
    Immediately after you gain control of nomad, you are forced to stumble away into cover before you can bandage. Failing to find cover with-in about 20 seconds of the game starting would result in you getting gunned down by the two separate patrols(one consisting of 6 sammies, and the other of 3 wolves) that are rapidly moving toward your crash site.
    If you successfully evade them you'll need to keep your head really low, as the all aroudn the area there are two man patrols moving about. If you make it to the area with the grenade guys and the pill box you'd find an additional group of 6 sammies. The first crash site also has a squad of 4 sammies near by, with two wolves. And the hangar has about another half dozen troops wandering around in it.
    If you were unskilled or unlucky and got spotted by any one of these groups, all of these groups would come bearing down on you.
    #releasetheclancycut

Certainly an improvement although not a lasting one if these features aren't integrated into a systemic whole.
     2 people found this helpful

Flanker1Six's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Steven527 Go to original post
    He's obviously a masochist. I knew that when I saw him detour for flowers. He should know they are protected by the Auroa Botanical society and the penalty is an Azrael.
    There was actually a game mechanic in KIngdom Come: Deliverance; wherein if you picked certain flowers it increased one of your abilities.

AI BLUEFOX's Avatar Senior Member
    You were using the photomode to carry out sneaky reconnaissance so the game punished you for it.

Customising the flyover rates would be a good move, but I'd still like to see a real world logic to flight paths, flyover rates and how the Wolves arrive at your location. I'm fine with hiding regularly as you guys know, using prone camo, a bush or line of sight cover, and even if there was a customisation feature for flyovers I'd probably leave the rate as it is.

Steven527's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by AI BLUEFOX Go to original post
    You were using the photomode to carry out sneaky reconnaissance so the game punished you for it.

Customising the flyover rates would be a good move, but I'd still like to see a real world logic to flight paths, flyover rates and how the Wolves arrive at your location. I'm fine with hiding regularly as you guys know, using prone camo, a bush or line of sight cover, and even if there was a customisation feature for flyovers I'd probably leave the rate as it is.
    I have no problem with having to hide. It is WHY I am hiding that annoys me. If however it had the mechanics you noted it would actually mean something. Immersion begins when the situation you are in feels authentic. Currently it doesn't. The fact that I can be in the open 100 meters from a sniper facing me and he can't see me... I don't even have to hide. Spawning Azreals right in line with you and then spawning an instant QRF that teleports is sci fi and bad sci fi at that. This isn't really a good mission oriented GR game, but if they had actually found a way to make me feel hunted I could forgive a lot as the original premise would hold up. As it is the original premise falls apart the moment I fall out of a tree.

I finally figured out how to get retribution on the AI. I have my team go hot while I watch from a distance. As the fight escalates I turn off teammates, then turn them back on so my team basically teleports to me leaving the AI standing around - how's it feel suckas!!
     1 people found this helpful

I always thought they should have had a training mission set with walker someone as the first smell mission.

Then when you crash, you don’t have to learn the controls and you could have really been hunted. Literally make it that you had to run, hide and bug out ASAP or you’d be overrun like the rest of the choppers.

Would have immediately brought the feeling of being hunted and would have been really easy to do. They could have even made the pre mission skip able for seasoned players.

I’m not going to lie, but I really think from being on this site that at least 80% of the people on here (regulars) could have written a better story even if we had to stick to drones, wolves, Walker etc.