The one-sided blindness in the fog in AC 4: Black Flag. How to turn off/reduce it?

Can't find a "Blackflag Forum" after multiple searches, so posting this here:

The fog is so thick when I attack the castles, I can't see them at all.
    Both the castles and enemy ships are able to easily destroy me through the fog, as if it (the fog) isn't there for them (or they have xray-vision).
    Done a lot of research and there doesn't appear to be any way to reduce or turn off the fog (please correct me If I'm wrong).
    How is a player supposed to be able to beat the castles under these one-sided no-visibility conditions?
    I have beaten several castles when the fog isn't there.
    This is a great game, but design flaws like this (imho) ruin the experience for the player.
    The constant fog, heavy rain and wasted time traveling to far away targets/destinations (yes I am aware of "Quick Travel" - when it's available),
    are major flaws in this otherwise great game.

Note: Why are there only forums for the most recent releases (Origin/Odyssey/Remastered/Valhalla)?
    Would be nice to have forums for those of us who play the earlier AC games.

Locopells's Avatar Moderator
    I don't know if it'll get rid of the fog completely, but try toggling the Volumetric Fog setting in the graphics menu.

I don't know if it'll get rid of the fog completely, but try toggling the Volumetric Fog setting in the graphics menu.

Did that as soon as I realized how ridiculous the heavy fog is, and when that didn't work, also set "Volumetric Fog" to "0" in the config file. No change. The heavy, impenetrable fog persists. The only thing I can do it seems, is quit the game. When I return the fog has disappeared (temporarily at least).

Locopells's Avatar Moderator
    Darn. Looks like you're stuck with than, I'm afraid. Only thing I can suggest is to keep moving, in that case. As least then you can try and clear your own smoke.

Originally Posted by Locopells Go to original post
    Darn. Looks like you're stuck with than, I'm afraid. Only thing I can suggest is to keep moving, in that case. As least then you can try and clear your own smoke.
    True enough (I always keep moving). Also, I realised that the dense smoke is mainly from the sides and front of the ships, so If I can get behind them, there's not much smoke to deal with (also a good tactic to survive battles with the more powerful ships).
     1 people found this helpful