GarretDanilo's Avatar Member

Bge2 is officially dead!

Michel Ancel is gone!
    The only ray of hope for this game left this scummy company known as Ubisoft and anyone with a minimum of brains and knowledge of the development status of BGE2 know exactly the true reason behind it. He wanted to make a game that cherish a great story and characters alike, but his creative freedom on the project was restrained by Ubisoft executives that just want to transform BGE2 into another soulless multiplayer game-as-service full of microtransactions **** that are all the same they are famous for. Michel fought with all his might and passion to change that, but eventually he had to give up and so he left the company.
    Now, for what concerns me i have lost the remaining bit of trust and hope i had on Ubisoft and for this game to be good, so i'm leaving the space monkey program considering that i have no more reason to be part of this community and to buy any game or product related to Ubisoft from now on. If any of you are smart enough you will do the same, in any case don't expect anything good from all of this and stop believing in Ubisoft lies and scummy practices. It was a pleasure, goodbye everyone!
     1 people found this helpful

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/18/21...od-evil-2-wild

Yeah. That is truly horrible news, no doubt about that.

But as you say, making this game, which he thought of as "a dream come true", was an unwinnable battle for him. It was clear from the very beginning that he had one vision for this game and the suits had quite another.

With Ancel out, all the faint hope that he could score partial victories as development goes on are gone.

Heck, the fans' input was clear as day and they ignored that too.

But he was a sneaky devil at that, wasn't he? He literally described his dream game in the official Space Monkey live stream as a completely different game compared to what Ubisoft later proclaimed it was making. Several times even. "totally optional online/co-op", "story focused" etc. He had balls. And was willing to get them cut off for a game that you and I would actually have enjoyed.

Thanks, Michel, thank you so much. It won't be forgotten.

This isn't a time of hope, sadly, with the political situation being as it its, but I'll say this with a hefty dose of naivity:

Maybe if Immortals: Fenyx Rising fares well, Ubisoft is willing to cut back on some of the multiplayer/always online/games as a shitvice stuff.

Then again, they've sunk a ton of money into this project already, so chances are this is a full on predatory venture to make up for the losses.

And if we're being totally honest, the game died with Jodie Forrest in the first place.

Don't be so pessimistic, Michel works on BG&E2 for years and directed the bases of the game. Also the team is talented, a lot of developers worked on the first BG&E and on Rayman games.
    I am really sad that Ancel stopped to develop this game and surely I will less excited to play it, but this doesn't mean that the game will be anonymous or completely bad
    Finally we don't know why he made this decision, so it is wrong to accuse Ubisoft for this situation, expecially if you think that he stopped to work on Wild that is developed by Wild Sheep Studio (a studio created by Michel) that is indipendent by Ubisoft

Originally Posted by Ray970 Go to original post
    Don't be so pessimistic, Michel works on BG&E2 for years and directed the bases of the game.
    Oh, there's plenty to be pessimistic about.

Michel Ancel went on stream mid 2018 and told us about this rad single player game with an entirely unobtrusive optional co-op mode, repeated ad nauseam that "it's important to say that you don't have to be online", told us how massively story and character centered his game would be. A little later, he made his last Instagram post (July 2018 about a visit to Guerilla studios, the vastly successful single player only Horizon Zero Dawn makers).

And then he vanished into thin air. Mid 2018. Whooosh.

In December 2018, Ubisoft suddenly described BG&E2 as a completely different game, some run off the mill always-online massively multiplayer Grand Theft Fortnite loot grinder with an optional unambitioned single player mode that also forces you to play online. No appearance, no comment from Ancel. It's just a completely different game that has zip to do with Beyond Good & Evil, nothing to see here folks.

Ancel resurfaces more than two years later to tell us he's leaving game development entirely.

And those are the mere facts of the case.

They sound ... BAD. I mean, seriously, seriously bad.

Why are people always putting all their eggs into one basket so he was forced to Retire to raise animals some where, we have seen up and coming new people who actually are able to make something great, so they might have some diamonds in the rough who can bring something new to the table, just outright giving up due to one man having left is a bit of a nothing burger.
    If it was like we saw with Bioware back in the day so many leaving so close together i would have been concerned but this is a publicity move because of bad press, most developers and such have their specific team behind them and they manage their time and pin point efforts into specific tasks that is it and give advice.

My worry at this time is the lack of actual information we have gotten about Beyond good and evil 2, some character creator bit recently and no updates on betas or anything lately, no updated roadmap info or where they are at so we can go okay maybe in 2 years time we will see this game and not the current time table of is this game in limbo or coming in the near future.

Originally Posted by Lyogron Go to original post
    Oh, there's plenty to be pessimistic about.

Michel Ancel went on stream mid 2018 and told us about this rad single player game with an entirely unobtrusive optional co-op mode, repeated ad nauseam that "it's important to say that you don't have to be online", told us how massively story and character centered his game would be.
    The game maintains this structure, but you have to change the word "online" to "coop" or "multiplayer" and the word "offline" to "single player". You can play alone the whole game, but if you want you can do the same with some friends and that is maybe what Michel meant, but he used the wrong words. The game invites you to play coop (to try this type of experience) but if you don't want you can play single player.

Michel Ancel said that the internet connection is indispensable for the procedural part, so for this reason the game is always online. He stopped working on the game two years ago and he has been working on the lore for the past few years. He also said that the pillars of the game are still the same.

The problem is that there is bad communication. The team should have to explain the previous things and not Michel (who is't working on the game now)