AC:BF will not start

I've gotten the Program and Uplay to install, Uplay runs fine, but AC:BF will not run. It crashes on launch. All the logs are fine, except one: service_log.txt

Whenever I start Black Flag, it gets to the first full-screen splash screen about characters and coders have different beliefs, blah, blah and crashes to desktop. In the service_log.txt the error that's listed is as follows:

[10764] 2017-12-27 18:01:47 [ 2848] ERROR Process.cpp (237) Failed to start exe C:\Games\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag\Support\Common\Microsoft .NET Framework 4\dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe workdir C:\Games\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag\Support\Common\dotNetFramework\ error=267
    [10764] 2017-12-27 18:01:47 [ 2848] ERROR UplayService.cpp (1043) Dependency installation failed: failed to start process C:/Games/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag/Support/Common/Microsoft .NET Framework 4/dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe.

The file for .Net4 is there, but this is a Windows 10 machine, and .Net4 is already installed as part of the OS. Is there a way to bypass the program trying to install what's obviously already there? Is there some reason it's not getting a valid response to the fact that .Net already exists? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks for any help.

I have the same problem too but I am on Windows 7 ... The single player launches but the multiplayer does not launch although the process is running according to task manager.

This is an old thread but I'm facing very similar issues recently. Thus I'll leave a reply anyway.
    What you posted here from your logs may not be the true root of your problem.

I observed similar log entries in the UPlay service log and bypassed this problem via the following steps:
    1. create the working directory the log entry is referring to (in your case it's C:\Games\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag\Support\Common\dotNetFramework\)
    2. (may not be necessary though) replace the installation executable with a dummy executable (e.g. use the notepad.exe from Window's system32 folder)
    3. start the game once more

Though this removed the necessity to grant UPlay administrator permissions on each start of AC:BF for me, it seemed to be more like an inconvenience than a real error.
    In my case there are things going wrong on Windows 10 regarding DirectX or so, Ubisoft's support team is still processing the data.
    You can check whether there is such a problem on your machine as well by creating a MSINFO report.

Do that by starting (WIN + R) msinfo32 and clicking File > Export.
    This results in a large text file that is structured into sections and one section contains the Windows error reports.
    Just search for the executable of AC:BF (AC4BFSP.exe).
    If there are error reports for AC:BF you might have found what's the real problem.

Greetings,
    Sebastian

I am having the same problem. Did you figure it out?

Ubi-Borealis's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hello there krm4596! Welcome to the forums!

If you're experiencing crashes in-game, I recommend that you check out the steps on this troubleshooting article. In particular, I recommend that you update your drivers, and ensure that all background applications are disabled, as these can conflict with the game files and cause crashes.

If the issue still persists after trying these steps, please don't hesitate to update us!