Resource gathering in AC: Valhalla, your thoughts?

For me, it is the least exciting part of any game, when made extremly grinding, the often mandatory "gather resources to advance in history", it felt very tiresome in odyssey,I was wodering how you guys feel about it, with the, so far only objective revelead, build a village or something of the sorts, I'm and worrying how much this will impact in the story progression itself

Aloninor's Avatar Senior Member
    From what I have seen so far are most of the resources related to your home base found in chests that you kind find on raids and while completing activities such as camps. For instance, the raid (not the assault) that we saw in the Ubisoft Forward Demo was part of a mission to get allies, you had to clear the fort in return a small village would help you in the assault. So the resources you gathered during this raid weren't acquired through grinding, but simply encountered as part of the story.

If that would be the overall tendency I think that would be very nice. But I also can't recall any necessity to grinding in any of the last to RPG style Assassin's Creed games. Neither for upgrades nor for XP.

The village which is your home base of operations is something a lot of players, myself included have been asking for and has been missing in recent AC games ...... It's is part of the story progression as it is where you'll plan your raids and gather your crew which should make the game more immersive and realistic .... Even Black Flag's simplified version added to the story as well as added some extra perks .... Ditto with AC 3 and the homestead and Achilles house both added perks as well as gave you a place to store mementos from the different missions/quests

If you hate resource gathering than this game is definitely not for you.
    As I see Resource gathering is the most important job in this game. Much more important than in Odysssey. There's no levels in this game. Every peace of our equipment and weapons must be upgraded 10 times to reach full power and for that we'll need enormous quantity of resources. Not to mention all other upgrades for satchels, quiver, and of course our Homestead which will probably be huge sinkhole for our resources.

Aloninor's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by I.z.i. Go to original post
    If you hate resource gathering than this game is definitely not for you.
    As I see Resource gathering is the most important job in this game. Much more important than in Odysssey. There's no levels in this game. Every peace of our equipment and weapons must be upgraded 10 times to reach full power and for that we'll need enormous quantity of resources. Not to mention all other upgrades for satchels, quiver, and of course our Homestead which will probably be huge sinkhole for our resources.
    I think that is very much dependent on how it is implemented. If the resources are connected to the activities that you would do anyway, I wouldn't even consider it resource gathering. If I have to run around looking for wood as the main activity, then this would more conform with the idea I have of the term research gathering.

Odyssey didn't have research gathering at all I would argue. All the resources you could ever need were easily obtainable by dismantling the abundance of loot (that you pick up anyway).
     1 people found this helpful

If it is the same as in HZD then i'm not a fan of gathering resources because for example in that game you need 10 wood to create one arrow. And when you only get 7/8 wood from picking up wood and you need around 10/15 arrows to kill a machine then do the math. It's a lot of gathering stuff so i hope that in Valhalla they do a better job then in HZD.

Originally Posted by Patricia81994 Go to original post
    If it is the same as in HZD then i'm not a fan of gathering resources because for example in that game you need 10 wood to create one arrow. And when you only get 7/8 wood from picking up wood and you need around 10/15 arrows to kill a machine then do the math. It's a lot of gathering stuff so i hope that in Valhalla they do a better job then in HZD.
    After I got to around level 10 in HZD I didn't even bother harvesting wood because I always had plenty of it from looting other things and the one time I did run low after buying armor or a weapon I just purchased some from a vendor ... it's like 20 shards and a couple other items I always had plenty of for 200 pieces .... The only real grinding was upgrading my bags and quivers but like in Odyssey hunting animals is how you get good with a bow and in HZD you don't even have to worry about them attacking back so it's easy pickin's ..... I hate having to reload during a fight so as soon as I got a new weapon I'd max out capacity as soon as possible ...... I don't ride the machines but prefer to run and gather resources along the way or fast travel .... Riding sucks in the game because they are so clunky ..... Odd how they are so nimble and fast when you fight them but turn into dump trucks when you ride them, I thought that was kind of dumb and inconsistent so I didn't even bother after a while and would just kill them for the resources usually blaze which always comes in handy

Horizon Zero Dawn play through in case anyone is interested

Originally Posted by longjohn119 Go to original post
    After I got to around level 10 in HZD I didn't even bother harvesting wood because I always had plenty of it from looting other things and the one time I did run low after buying armor or a weapon I just purchased some from a vendor ... it's like 20 shards and a couple other items I always had plenty of for 200 pieces .... The only real grinding was upgrading my bags and quivers but like in Odyssey hunting animals is how you get good with a bow and in HZD you don't even have to worry about them attacking back so it's easy pickin's ..... I hate having to reload during a fight so as soon as I got a new weapon I'd max out capacity as soon as possible ...... I don't ride the machines but prefer to run and gather resources along the way or fast travel .... Riding sucks in the game because they are so clunky ..... Odd how they are so nimble and fast when you fight them but turn into dump trucks when you ride them, I thought that was kind of dumb and inconsistent so I didn't even bother after a while and would just kill them for the resources usually blaze which always comes in handy

Horizon Zero Dawn play through in case anyone is interested
    There is of course the possibility that they changed/fixed that with the PC version of HZD.

Locopells's Avatar Moderator
    Nope, I'm up to 500 wood and I haven't even left Mother's Heart yet...

Olympus2018's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Locopells Go to original post
    Nope, I'm up to 500 wood and I haven't even left Mother's Heart yet...
    So you are already playing Valhalla, two months ahead of the rest of us? Not fair....