Please Delay Summit

Earlier today, Ubi-Lucipus posted a response to some of the feedback and criticism regarding the new Summit game mode. While it's encouraging that the devs are hearing the community's issues with Summit as it's presented in the PTS, one aspect of their plan (which was reinforced in today's Ubisoft Forward and the accompanying road map) struck me as pretty alarming: The decision to push ahead and release Summit on September 22.

I don't really have a long essay queued up for this like I usually do. I just have a simple request to whatever entities are responsible for that decision (with a nod to the fact that the devs themselves may have no control over it): Please delay the release of Summit.

We're talking about a highly anticipated new game mode that folks are hoping will inject some life and replayability back into the game. Many players that I've spoken with have been on the edge of their seats waiting for this. But the Summit that is in the PTS—indeed, the Summit that's described for PTS Phase 2 in today's "response" post—is not that game mode. It can become that game mode, but it is simply not a finished piece of content right now, and based on what's in the PTS, I don't see any way that it can get to that point in less than two weeks. Even Lucipus's post acknowledges that the Phase 2 changes are "what could be done on short notice," but Summit needs way more than short-notice changes before it's ready to go live.

I get that some decision-makers might think that Summit needs to go live on the 22nd in order to stave off the mob, even if it's only temporary, but I sincerely believe that releasing a mode that is unfinished and falls far short of expectations is ultimately going to do more damage to the community than any benefit a "fast release" will offer. The dev team is pouring work into this mode in hopes that it will rejuvenate the game, and the community is starving for high-quality, replayable content... but this ain't it. Particularly with Season 3 and its associated manhunt (please please please let the manhunt be more engaging than the previous two...) coming down the pipe, it seems like it would make so much more sense to push Summit back to Title Update 11.1 or even later, in order to give it the time it needs to actually realize its potential. A premature release that's hoping to fix things later is akin to being thrown off the cliff with a bunch of raw material and trying to build a hang-glider before you hit the ground.
     21 people found this helpful

I agree. Launching the Summit on the 22nd will only add fuel to the fire. I suspect that only a small % of the active player base has even read these sub-forum discussions on what is good and/or bad about the Summit. For the great majority, they are going to play the Summit on the 22nd, to much disappointment, and if these players are materially disappointed, they will stop playing altogether. It is critically important the Summit is launched in proper form.

Furthermore, in their recent post about issues of concern, I was very surprised that there was NOT ANY mention about the bland-looking nature of the floors, lack of artwork, no windows, etc. The Division artists have, so far, delivered beautiful artwork in DC and New York, both in D1 & D2, and I was very surprised to see the Summit so plain and bland. So many missed opportunities there, from a visual perspective.

I strongly advocate for a material delay in the Summit to allow the developers more time to get this right. I am perfectly OK with a 1-2 month delay, and I think that the player base will be understanding.
     8 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Deltium Go to original post
    Furthermore, in their recent post about issues of concern, I was very surprised that there was NOT ANY mention about the bland-looking nature of the floors, lack of artwork, no windows, etc. The Division artists have, so far, delivered beautiful artwork in DC and New York, both in D1 & D2, and I was very surprised to see the Summit so plain and bland. So many missed opportunities there, from a visual perspective.
    Yep. You look at the environments in missions and in the open world and dz going back to Division 1 and the you get the blandness that is Summit currently, It's like the artists are on furlough.

Skyscraper should have a few levels of a basement garage, then a few levels of machinery, for heating, elevators and so on. Then the foyer. Followed by a multi-floor shopping mall (think back to the shopping mall in D1), It could also have some gym levels,maybe a swimming pool level or 2. Then office levels, living/accommodation levels which get more opulent as you go up, including penthouses, all stuff you'd expect to maybe find in a skyscraper. And a few roof levels at the top (similar stuff is available in other areas of the game), finishing of with a massive shootout at the top, complete with gunships/drones, like in die hard, similar to the end of the Darpa/Pentagon missions,

Oh, lol, and windows on all levels apart from the basement.
     3 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Deltium Go to original post
    I strongly advocate for a material delay in the Summit to allow the developers more time to get this right. I am perfectly OK with a 1-2 month delay, and I think that the player base will be understanding.
    I agree - Dpn't get me wrong, i really like the concept/idea. But to be a replayable game mode it needs to be done and implemented properly. Currently, it feels like the first draft of a book.
     1 people found this helpful

If Ubisoft wants to defend their work on the Summit, answer this simple question in 1 sentence. What's new in the Summit?

To me, it looks like recycled enemies and game mechanics. Does that "increase replay-ability" somehow that I am not aware of?

The current offering is just not good enough. If this was my project, I would delay it or just outright cancel it. You can see the train wreck coming from a mile away here.

Very well written, dear SaintLandwalker. Also, thank you for providing those links. And do I agree 100%.

Especially as the list in Lucipus's post only seems to include some fixes and minor changes to certain mechanics, it totally lacks real improvements concerning replayabilty. Of course it does, as it can only contain "what could be done on short notice" (as already pointed out in the OP). Which is, by the way, fine with and totally understandable.

But in my opinion this also leads to the conclusion, that the necessary improvements can not be done "on short notice", thus making a delay of The Summit inevitable. In order to be able to release it in a way the devs and designers envisioned it. In order to add layers of surprise, randomness, variety and uniqueness for every run, which The Summit will not be able to offer with a premature launch.

Agree 100 %.

I played it to final floor and replayed some floors solo too and i gotta say, this is neither a replayeable Content, nor is it like announced in any kind a new kind of experience once you get on the floor.
    Enemys still enter the 'fighting ground'' by sitting ducks behind a closed door and once their time has come door opens and they will storm out...wave after wave.
    This Wave mechanic isnt really plausible or in any kind challenging.

I doubt that i would even enter ''The Summit'' if not specific targeted loot is shown beforehand.

You can make this whole experience really Content worthy with a few additional steps....which dont even have to be designed...they are already in the Game.

Connect Floors and place our opponents into them....no spawns..no doors...just let them take cover or place them a bit tactical !
    Add Visual effects that would make it hard to spot them...either the nice Eclipse Virus Red smoke...or DC62 in bright yellow....
    Add mechanics to clear various paths through those areas via Vents which blow it away ...so a small path is created... like with Tidal Basin Hornet Manhunt.
    Add or remove lightning.to the extreme......so wither we are almost blinded or can see cows ***...Sidearm underbarrel flashlight would be useful for once^^
    Add timed parcours elements ...with fire...water..idk....you are the creative minds.
    Add mechanics which force us to use our grey cells....and by that i dont mean that the 4 f us have to press a button at the same time....
    Add invasive counterattacks through ..walls...windows...elevator shafts
    Add directives that one could ignore....but only by inflicting malus......like... we have to stay put...and dont leave each others side or we die ...only cover to cover movement....'sneaking'' without encountering the enemy until we have high ground...which will give us tactiical advantage over a far numerous force.

Without any kind of thrill...the Summit as it is now....will be played for 2 weeks.... and after that it will become Kenly College 2...just saying
     2 people found this helpful

Couldn't agree with this post more. Another week at least for more PTS would help them at least iron out some of the issues although I agree generally it seems to be alot of recycled content. Putting out something thats half baked just to please the impatient people isn't helping anyone.

But what about the economy? None of the shareholders would approve of this!

Originally Posted by Blackbri3r Go to original post
    Agree 100 %.

I played it to final floor and replayed some floors solo too and i gotta say, this is neither a replayeable Content, nor is it like announced in any kind a new kind of experience once you get on the floor.
    Enemys still enter the 'fighting ground'' by sitting ducks behind a closed door and once their time has come door opens and they will storm out...wave after wave.
    This Wave mechanic isnt really plausible or in any kind challenging.

I doubt that i would even enter ''The Summit'' if not specific targeted loot is shown beforehand.

You can make this whole experience really Content worthy with a few additional steps....which dont even have to be designed...they are already in the Game.

Connect Floors and place our opponents into them....no spawns..no doors...just let them take cover or place them a bit tactical !
    Add Visual effects that would make it hard to spot them...either the nice Eclipse Virus Red smoke...or DC62 in bright yellow....
    Add mechanics to clear various paths through those areas via Vents which blow it away ...so a small path is created... like with Tidal Basin Hornet Manhunt.
    Add or remove lightning.to the extreme......so wither we are almost blinded or can see cows ***...Sidearm underbarrel flashlight would be useful for once^^
    Add timed parcours elements ...with fire...water..idk....you are the creative minds.
    Add mechanics which force us to use our grey cells....and by that i dont mean that the 4 f us have to press a button at the same time....
    Add invasive counterattacks through ..walls...windows...elevator shafts
    Add directives that one could ignore....but only by inflicting malus......like... we have to stay put...and dont leave each others side or we die ...only cover to cover movement....'sneaking'' without encountering the enemy until we have high ground...which will give us tactiical advantage over a far numerous force.

Without any kind of thrill...the Summit as it is now....will be played for 2 weeks.... and after that it will become Kenly College 2...just saying
    I like a LOT of your thoughts, and this is just another great piece of evidence why the Summit needs to be DELAYED for at least 1-2 months or more. I would certainly give Massive the appropriate time to fix the Summit with some or all of these mechanics, along with improved visual changes, adding windows, allowing difficulty scaling, etc. I realy believe that a dealyed Summit, at much higher quality, will make the player base happy. Rushing the Summit in its current state is not wise.