S~ All

I'm looking into the X52.One of my Sq M8's runs it and is working on profile set ups. My question is,is the X52 all it's cracked up to be? How much HOTAS control I'm I going to have? Ex. trim,prop pitch,throttle,(throttle of course is a gimmie),flaps fully adjustable (notch).Or I'm I stuck with take off, combat, landing?
    I know it will be an upgrade to my Microsoft sidewinder. Most of my commands are via the keyboard with that.And with the X52 can I just about put the keyboard away?
    CH products are a little out of my range right now,or I'd be really looking in to them.
    My wife thinks I fly too much now (lol)without that price tag showin' up.
    Any input would be great.

Thanks
    BSS_Seca

I have an X45. It's the predecessor to the X52.
    You CAN put away your keyboard if you map all the commands to the X52.

This inturn (at least for me) increases the immersion of the flight sim.

It's also reasonably priced.

If money is a REAL problem check out Saitek's website for reconditioned models of the X52 and X45.

thanks for the reply Knightflyte,
    I looked into there Recon sticks but the X52 is out of stock right now. The $130.00 US is not bad compaired to CH's complete set up hitting close to $600. US
    Seca

dbillo's Avatar Senior Member
    Seca, when you first get it, it seems like there is an endless supply of buttons and hats, but...you know how it goes, eh?

To answer your questions, there are enough doodads on the stick to do everything you have listed. There's a slider on the throttle which you can use for infinitely variable flaps or prop pitch. There are two rotaries and a scroll wheel for trim controls or whatever, mini-mouse, three hat switches (which can be programmed as hat or mouse), plenty of buttons.

With 3 programmed modes, plus pinkie-shift for each, well, you can hardly run out of places to put things, but whether you will find them all convenient or intuitive is another matter. There's always a tradoff to be made. I find the pinkie-shift a little awkward to use, and there are still certain things I leave on the keyboard... anything where a real pilot would have to reach for a panel switch or lever...like G for landing gear, or I for start engine.

If you don't have Track-IR, the big thing will be to set up view controls that are handy and easy to use. I have one of the hats on the stick for pan views and the mini-mouse works as a mouse for fine adjustment of view. I use the scroll wheel for zoom in and out, and clicking the scroll wheel toggles gunsight view. Tully has the same stick and I think he does things a little differently.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Yes, the X52 is all its supposed to be. I got one two months ago and it has made a BIG difference to my enjoyment of the game. As you said, the throttle is a given, but there are also 3 other "rotary" switches which can be used for trim etc. Two of the switches are dials and one is a sliding switch. Another good point is the mouse emulator. This allows you to nominate a POV switch as mouse and really helps to keep a bandit in view (if, like me, you dont have Trackir). All that remains to be seen now is how long it will last.

buglord's Avatar Senior Member
    BSS_Seca if you do get a x52 make sure the serial is below 252000 ive had two now & both have had to go back because the rotary buttons are dodgy theres been a lot of posts about this all the sticks below that serial number have defective micro switches on them the ones above that serial are fine according to peoples posts on the subject. hope that helps.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Thanks again to all.
    I think ya talked me into it.
    And just my personal input, Trackir is worth the cash.I have the Track IR 3Pro w/vector expansion,even tho it's not supported in IL2. When BoB hits the shelf I'm good to go.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    If Saitek came out with an X-61.. a FFB X-52.. they would totally dominate the lower end market.

X-52 is as good a way to go as any sir.I have one and have gotten excelant service from Saitek USA. As for the wife part I am sure it is something a lot of us must bare. I just blame Oleg and move on.

BuzzU's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by BSS_SECA:
    thanks for the reply Knightflyte,
    I looked into there Recon sticks but the X52 is out of stock right now. The $130.00 US is not bad compaired to CH's complete set up hitting close to $600. US
    Seca
    Whoa there buddy! I'm not going to talk you out of the X-52, but you're a bit off on the CH setup.

The Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals are a hair under $300.