🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Anno forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    Sorry to hear It didn't work,

I haven't actually tried playing since the latest updates from Nvidia or Windows, that rolled out at the beginning of the week, so who knows? I could be back to square one.

For me, when It was happening, It was very particular and It didn't always happen In an 'overloaded' or 'high graphics demand' situation or even In an 'In game' situation. The docklands DLC, however, was probably the worst culprit. I gave up using It In the end. As soon as I selected any of the building modules, to drag, move, rebuild, copy etc etc...and the highlighted area appeared, It would crash.

Deleting certain buildings
    Leaving the game paused (In the paused menu) for too long (Maybe a few minutes?)
    Having a screensaver - If the screensaver 'kicked In' the game would crash
    Upgrading certain buildings, but I could do a mass upgrade and It would be fine
    Saving the game from the pause menu
    If I got a notification from a background program or Ubisoft Connect notifying me that someone had logged In etc etc It would crash. Pretty much any overlay would do It
    I couldn't have certain cultural modules, like certain animals In the zoo or certain exhibits In the museum
    In game pop ups, especially ones for tourists and visitors. Everything else, very very rarely, If at all.

I tried running the game In safe mode, with no background tasks or programs, antivirus, Razer Synapse etc etc, thinking It could be a conflict, but It made no difference.

I run a Raid Array, game library on one stripe and UbiSoft on another. Thought maybe that'd have something to do with It, so moved everything to the NVME driver, disabled the Raid Array and It still crashed.

Removed network drives, ancillaries, auxiliaries, anything I thought that could be causing a conflict somewhere and It made no difference.

Sounds extremely arduous, but keep saving those logs and start recording, somewhere, exactly what you were doing, In game, the moment It crashed and hopefully, we can find a resolution to a problem, that for me, has been happening the moment I started playing. I Initially overlooked It because It rarely happened, but It became too consistent to Ignore and I just stopped playing.

I'll get some game time In this weekend and see If I'm still 'crash' free.

Well last night i played for 12 hours straight with no crash and all i have done was disabling G-sync. Also deleted Engine.ini and adjusted settings from scratch.

Did you disable G-Sync on/In the game or In the Nvidia Settings? Also, did you enable V-sync over the top Instead, or was that turned off too?

Never thought about this as I've always just have G-Sync forced to 'on'

Disabled G-sync in Nvidia control panel and V-sync is off in game. But the game was crashing alot yesterday again. I decided to DDU the nvidia drivers and installed 457.51 and verified files and deleted DX shader cache and now it works again. Its a strange bug.

Ubi-TheBerry's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the updates, glad to hear you're back up and running for now C0lbyte!

This is something the team are looking into to so we'll keep you in the loop when there's news!

Daimkrysset's Avatar Junior Member
    You really need to look harder Ubisoft... I still have the same DX12 crashes which has persisted since launch, hell even since the beta was released... Please halt all content updates until you've fixed the broken base game! I've been reading up on "fixes" to the crashing ever since I started playing Anno 1800 in the beta and nothing has worked out so far, not even a full wipe of my system.

Last week i was told by a supporter that they were working on an update. Guess this update included something more important fixes than crashes.
    At least i managed to get the game working. I'm just scared to touch anything on my computer so it will begin to crash again

To be fair I've tried experimenting with using ULMB instead of G-SYNC as stated above and it seems to be working for now, although the input lag is horrible on the UI now that G-SYNC is disabled. I will attempt further testing, as if this is still a beta test instead of a final release......

Edit: The crash still happens after a while after disabling G-SYNC. Tried clearing directx shadow cache too but it didn't help either. Ubisoft and the developers need to take a long hard look at the coding of the game...

This crash still happens when I go afk at the main menu without loading into a map hence it doesn't seem to be connected to any simulation going on when a game is actually loaded up. Running the game in DX11 is not really an option for me since the only time it feels playable and snappy enough is in DX12 mode at medium to high graphics settings... Please Ubisoft prioritize fixing the crashes.

After the most recent update (Windows, Ubisoft Connect and Anno) I can't even get from the main menu to the game without It crashing. I'm out of Ideas and It's so frustrating, but It's madness that I keep persisting In trying to play It, knowing It'll just crash. Maybe my computer Is under powered for the game and I'm just kidding myself? I am running something slightly older, but It plays most other games at max settings.

LGA 2011 5960x
    Asus Rampage V Edition 10
    2x Asus Strix 1080 Ti
    64gb Ram @ 3000MHz

OS, Ubisoft Connect, Origin, Steam etc etc boot from an NVME drive, all libraries and main storage are on an SSD raid array

I'm going to try and request a refund, but It may be difficult on a game I've had since June 2019? Either way, this error has been haunting me since I first downloaded the game and It's probably complete fluke that I've sometimes managed to play for long periods of time.

Again what fixed my constant crashes in both DX 11 and 12 was.
    1. Install nvidia driver 457.51
    2. Disable G-sync and V-sync
    3. Make sure page file is set to automatic on ALL harddrives.
    4. Uplay in offline mode.

Cant think of more i did to make the game work in DX11

How and why are Ubisoft and their support this ******g useless?

Constantly getting these same Direct X errors and their useless online **** keeps constantly disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes.

There are no problems with any other game I play or with my internet connection in anything else, but all they will do is tell me to check my connection blah blah blah.

These issues have been ongoing since the day the game launched, and they still haven't fixed them and keep pushing out more and more DLC.

Have had 2 direct X errors this weekend, for the first time ever in the game history.

That's the unusual thing about this error.......

You could quite happily (Initially) be playing for days, weeks, maybe months on end, but once you get that first error, It doesn't stop, It progressively gets worse and happens earlier and earlier. I now can't get out of the menu Into the game. Obviously, with the previous short term fixes, Including mine, I can play for an evening, sometimes just a few hours. But It'll keep getting shorter.

Like I've said above, I'm now bored of having to jump through these hoops just to play a game that Inevitably will crash, so I'm In the process of trying for a refund.

It's overly frustrating to see DLC being released, cinematics videos, adverts, features etc etc.....whilst still not having a fix for an crash that's over two years old now. It's sad the amount of hours I've spent trying to get It to work, Including things I know won't make a difference (like reinstalling windows) but I was out of Ideas, so worth a shot?
     1 people found this helpful

an unexpected Directx error occurred

hi.eny news about this broblem ??? now new broblem when i downloding the game from ubisoft it crashe my hole internet in the house after few min of download.........:/

Sorry to keep sh*t posting on here....

I personally don't think there will ever be a fix for this (It's over two years old now) and you'll just have to keep 'playing' with settings, yourself, until you can come up with a solution.

I've gone back to DX11 and changed the settings In NvidiaProfileInspector for SLI rendering and I've been playing crash free since my last post. Once again, could be a fluke, but It's another short term fix.

just purchased the game

I just payed over 160 dollars for the whole anno set and can only play for approx 10 mins before i get a "present failed" error. I've got DX12 running, windows is patched to latest version, all drivers are the latest, PC is a 3 months old. WTF? have i just bought a very expensive lemon? All my VR games run fine. Have tried all fixes described here and its still stuffed.

Try these steps. They helped me.

1: Install Nvidia driver 457.51
    3: Make sure windows page file is automatic and on ALL drives.
    4: Try directx 11
    5: Run uplay in offline mode.
    6: Keep windows and other drivers up to date.
    7: Try verify files in uplay
    8: Delete DX shader cache in disk cleanup.

Ubi-WheelyDuck's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Originally Posted by Aus69 Go to original post
    I just payed over 160 dollars for the whole anno set and can only play for approx 10 mins before i get a "present failed" error. I've got DX12 running, windows is patched to latest version, all drivers are the latest, PC is a 3 months old. WTF? have i just bought a very expensive lemon? All my VR games run fine. Have tried all fixes described here and its still stuffed.
    Hey there,

Sorry to hear that you encounter this error message after 10 minutes.

It is great to hear you have already tried some troubleshooting steps,

Can I check whether you have also followed the steps C0lbyte advised?

Originally Posted by C0lbyte Go to original post
    Try these steps. They helped me.

1: Install Nvidia driver 457.51
    3: Make sure windows page file is automatic and on ALL drives.
    4: Try directx 11
    5: Run uplay in offline mode.
    6: Keep windows and other drivers up to date.
    7: Try verify files in uplay
    8: Delete DX shader cache in disk cleanup.
    Hey there,

Many thanks for sharing your experience and the solution that helped you.

If ever there is anything else we can help with just let us know.

Simple answer

Dear friends! The reason is trivial! Your video card is warming up! And the game crashes because of this. None of the above steps will help. Change the cooling system of your pc / video card or change the thermal grease or lower the graphics settings in the game.

It literally has nothing to do with temperature, or atleast, In my case, It doesn't.

The only way I've been able to play recently (because It changes so frequently) Is to change the SLi compatibility bits In Nvidia Profile Inspector to Anno 2070 and select rendering modes and number of cards, manually. I can get both cards (1080 Ti Strix) to run at 80%, but with only 40fps, because I'm stuck with using DX11. With DX12, It's around 120fps.

Without these changes, I couldn't even play with DX11

I have two computers running Anno 1800.

The first is an i7-7700 with a GTX 1070 and 32 GB of RAM. This system does not have crashing issues.

My second is my ASUS g14 laptop with a Ryzen 5900HS and an RTX 3060 and 16 GB of RAM. This system crashes, and it seems to do so if I alt-tab to a different window. Running in DX 11 or 12 doesn't make a difference.

Please fix this Ubisoft! From what I've read this has been plaguing the game for years.

Originally Posted by vbavburemcx Go to original post
    Dear friends! The reason is trivial! Your video card is warming up! And the game crashes because of this. None of the above steps will help. Change the cooling system of your pc / video card or change the thermal grease or lower the graphics settings in the game.
    Im sorry but i think that is your case maybe but not the culprit in general. I myself run a complete custom watercooled system. And my gfx card runs around 50 degrees C and my steps above worked for me and i had DX error ALOT but now fixed for now atleast.

Ubi-Thrupney's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hey FusionPhysx, Narxes081206, and C0lbyte - thanks for your posts about this!

Our team are aware of the issue and are looking into this. In the meantime, FusionPhysx and Narxes081206, I'm sure you have already but just to be sure, have you ran through our troubleshooting guide, being sure to verify your game files, update your drivers and OS, make sure you don't have any unnecessary background programs running, and reinstall supporting software such as DirectX?

As said though, we're looking into it, so we'll post again in this thread if there's specific troubleshooting we'd like you to perform to help with our investigation. Thanks again for your updates!