🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    MartynQ's Avatar Senior Member

Tablature software for Mac?

I've just upgraded to Catalina on my Mac, so the version of Guitar Pro that I used to use no longer works.

I could upgrade Guitar Pro, but it seems quite expensive. Do any Mac users have any suggestions of alternative tablature software?

Danny-Ramone's Avatar Senior Member
    I think Tuxguitar is available for Mac. It's freeware. I haven't used it on a Mac though (and only use it as a Tab reader on PC).

ZagatoZee's Avatar Member
    Are you looking to make and edit tabs, or just "read" them? It doesn't edit tabs, but it can sync them to music and give you a scrolling tab viewer - Go Play Along.; https://goplayalong.com/

MartynQ's Avatar Senior Member
    My hope was to be able to edit tabs... primarily so that I can make a record of what I'm trying to learn when learning a song outside RS. I find I can internalize it better if it is written down.

DannyR is correct that TuxGuitar runs on MacOS Catalina - or at least there is a 64-bit version thought it seems to be viewed as slightly experimental. It doesn't seem to display bends very well though, which is a shame, and there was at least one other annoying experience that I could live with but not ideal.

I'm currently experimenting with using Lilypond. It's got quite a learning curve and isn't at all WYSIWYG, but I tried it back before I managed to get hold of a "Lite" version of GuitarPro and Lilypond has some similarity to a text processing system that I use for my work. The guitar facilities are slightly experimental so I may still be frustrated by its handling of bends (for example).