🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Watch Dogs forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Flickering sky in watch dogs 2

Hello,

As the title says I am experiencing some flickering in the sky, not the most gamebreaking bug but it is annoying (see video attached)

My PC specs are : MSI gaming X trio RTX 2080 super/ ryzen 7 3700x/ 32GB of RAM/ game is running on a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD/ WIndows 10 Pro 19041.388/ Nvidia drivers are up to date (451.67).

I have verified the files of the game and I uninstalled and reinstalled it.

I would be grateful if you had a fix for it.

Have a nice Day
     1 people found this helpful

old thread bump! Did you (or anyone else) ever figure this out? Probably some video setting, but I have tried disabled a lot of video settings and nothing has fixed it. Not the biggest deal ever, the flickering is just annoying. Using latest Nvidia drivers.

Here's another video example I took: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYqXqvEZdA

Only an issue when outside during the game, and during the daytime, of course. It's pretty bothersome. Anyone know what video setting might be causing it?

Hello, I uninstalled the game because of this issue so I haven't fixed it, but apparently it's a bug specific to rtx cards. On the comments of my video some people seem to have fixed the issue by capping the frames to 75 fps (I guess if you can't reach higher than 75 fps usually, you can try to cap it at a lower framerate). I hope this will work for you..

Thanks for the response! I'll give the 75 FPS cap thing a shot, as the issue is pretty distracting, I can understand why you would uninstall it. Here's another video I made as well, just for reference:

Hard to see them patching it or implementing a fix for RTX cards, as the game is 4 & 1/2 years old now, but that would be nice.

Ubi-Borealis's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hello there Adzooks! Welcome to the forums

In future, please could you make a new thread instead of posting within an old one, as bumping threads is against the forum rules.

Thanks for taking the time to report this and share your experience. I'm sorry to see you're encountering a flickering sky when playing Watch Dogs 2. Thanks for sharing a video of this with us, and for letting us know what troubleshooting steps you have already tried.

Did capping the FPS to 75 help to resolve the issue at all? If you haven't already, I would also recommend taking a look at this performance troubleshooting article to try the other recommended steps. In particular, I suggest that you try the basic PC troubleshooting steps linked in that support article.

If the issue persists, please don't hesitate to update this thread.

Thanks!

Hi Borealis,

Sorry about the thread bump, my apologies.

I don't think capping the FPS to 75 helped, I'm still getting a lot of flickering, and it's not just the sky, but pretty much everywhere. Here's another video example:

I've tried all different video settings, so I think it's just an issue specific to Geforce RTX cards as Salvanor12 said above. I have a Geforce RTX 3070. Not sure if it's something Ubisoft could fix through a game patch, or if perhaps a future Nvidia video driver release could solve the issue. I'm going to just uninstall the game for now and try to play it again sometime down the road when it may possibly be fixed. If you could make this issue known to the right people, that could help. Or maybe they already know about it. Hope to see it get fixed eventually, no matter who fixes it

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Originally Posted by Adzooks Go to original post
    Hi Borealis,

Sorry about the thread bump, my apologies.

I don't think capping the FPS to 75 helped, I'm still getting a lot of flickering, and it's not just the sky, but pretty much everywhere. Here's another video example:

I've tried all different video settings, so I think it's just an issue specific to Geforce RTX cards as Salvanor12 said above. I have a Geforce RTX 3070. Not sure if it's something Ubisoft could fix through a game patch, or if perhaps a future Nvidia video driver release could solve the issue. I'm going to just uninstall the game for now and try to play it again sometime down the road when it may possibly be fixed. If you could make this issue known to the right people, that could help. Or maybe they already know about it. Hope to see it get fixed eventually, no matter who fixes it

Let me know if you need any additional info.
    Exact same thing with my RTX 3070.
     2 people found this helpful

UbiKoreanBBQ's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hey there hkabaran! Sorry to hear you're also experiencing this issue. It would be good for us to see your MSINFO, so if you haven't created a case yet, that would be great. I've seen some players needing to have their Microsoft Visual Studio C++ redistributables reinstalled and updated, but since I don't have your system files, I can't recommend that yet. For the time being, please complete these troubleshooting steps and then try disabling MSAA (Multi sample Anti Aliasing) in-game, and let us know how it goes.

I've the same issue, when i played with my gtx1070 all was good,

now that i've upgraded to a ryzen 5800x and a rtx 3070 (1440p 144hz) the sky and most of the textures flickers, the game is almost unplayable...

Please take look into that

Hey KoreanBBQ! Thank you for the response.

I reinstalled VCRedist if that was what you were talking about. Located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\WATCH_DOGS2\Support

And so far the issue seems to have gone away. Could it really have something to do with missing redistributables? Only played for 2-3 hours but no flicker whatsoever. MSAA was already disabled. I'm trying to push 4k with temporal filtering and lower quality shadows etc. and thought maybe it was something to do with my tweaked graphics settings.

I'll open up a case if the issue reoccurs.

Oh and now i want Korean BBQ.