Why is it that today all pc games take 900 years to make? It seems that any game I look forward to takes for freekin ever. Anyone in here know enough about programming to know? What takes place in a game dev in a week, a month, a year? It would seem that it wouldn't be feasable to take so long.

MEGILE's Avatar Senior Member
    I've been waiting for Team Fortress two, since the great schism of 1054

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    Odd isn't it. Sow'll've taken longer than WWII to produce (although WWII was in pre-production for longer of course). That Thunder thing about the Falklands war's still grinding away (nice new vids of a SHAR and a Vulcan dropping bombs on their site) and that's been going for years.

well it takes a lot to make a game. you need the ppl like 2d artists, modellers, voice actors, programmers, animators, etc. etc. it takes months to design a game, then to put it all together by the programmer takes a while, games like grand theft auto, tema fortress, even il2 sturmovik, may be up to a million lines of source code by something called c++

well i dont know if oleg uses c++ for this game for sure

but yea, its a lot, and its not easy

im making a 2d space pong clone right now in c++, and its like 400+ lines of code and all i've really done is the menus

I don't know about the programming end, but I know the time to make the art increases significantly with time.

It used to be that fighters were designed and mass produced in 5 years, and they each cost $50,000. Now a fighter is developed for 20 years, and costs 50 million.

I'm in the construction industry and if a contractor had a 20-30% time over run, people would be fired and the company may not survive. But that seems normal in the gaming industry. I always said I wish I'd been a meteoroligist and could get the weather wrong with no consequence. But, game programmers seem to have that beat. They get to mess with games all day and deadlines don't mean anything.

Originally posted by slappedsilly:
    But, game programmers seem to have that beat. They get to mess with games all day and deadlines don't mean anything.
    That's like saying that chefs working for high dollar restaurants have it great b/c all they do is hang around and eat free food.

--Outlaw.

Are the teams alot smaller now the boom period of PC games is over?.

It feels like i've been waiting ages for "Knights of the Sea"...and "Knights of the Sky"...and...and that Bill - Storm in a D-cup or whatever its called...if they dare to release them at the same time...i'll..i'll...um.

PF_Coastie's Avatar Senior Member
    games like grand theft auto, tema fortress, even il2 sturmovik, may be up to a million lines of source code by something called c++
    A while back (way before 46) Oleg said there were more than 3 million lines of code in this game!

Thats just insane.

Originally posted by Monty_Thrud:
    Are the teams alot smaller now the boom period of PC games is over?.

It feels like i've been waiting ages for "Knights of the Sea"...and "Knights of the Sky"...and...and that Bill - Storm in a D-cup or whatever its called...if they dare to release them at the same time...i'll..i'll...um.
    Every PC magazine I read say different. The boom is just beginning my friend!

A good game can take 18 months to create. A good sim will take much longer.