I have an issue with Assassins Creed and Ubisoft in general...

I feel like they really need to get rid of the eagle vision scouting mechanic. It really ruins the immersion of the game. This mechanic is in every Ubisoft game. It makes sense in games like Ghost Recon or The Division but for assassins creed a alternative historic game you should not be able to mark targets and scope the whole area out via drone *cough* I mean eagle. Can't they just get rid of it all together and have you find the targets the old fashion way?

or am I the only one with this opinion??

Ikaros works well for me in locating treasures and other things that need to be collected in locations. I use it all the time before going into locations. First thing I do at a Fort is look for the brazier and I try to get to it to set a trap before someone can get to it and light the fire bringing in more enemy soldiers. If you don't like it you are not forced to use it.
     3 people found this helpful

KmarkoPL's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by G_IDLE87 Go to original post
    I feel like they really need to get rid of the eagle vision scouting mechanic. It really ruins the immersion of the game. This mechanic is in every Ubisoft game. It makes sense in games like Ghost Recon or The Division but for assassins creed a alternative historic game you should not be able to mark targets and scope the whole area out via drone *cough* I mean eagle. Can't they just get rid of it all together and have you find the targets the old fashion way?

or am I the only one with this opinion??
    Just don't use it.
    And don't suggest to make game just as you like it !
     3 people found this helpful

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    I have a question, are you new to Assassin's Creed games?
    Eagle Vision is one of the most iconic parts of this series. Imo you're asking one of the most prominent features of what makes it AC to be taken out.
    I can handle alot of the changes that have been made incl RPG direction becuz imo it makes the game alot more personal, memorable, replayable and interesting by making choices in the way I play my character but to start taking out more of the mechanisms that give AC's its unique identity would be a really bad idea and esp. for older AC fans.

You can't take out and change so much of the game that it loses too much of its identity as AC and I think that's going too far after all the changes we've had in the last 2 games.

Ikaros works well for me in locating treasures and other things that need to be collected in locations. I use it all the time before going into locations. First thing I do at a Fort is look for the brazier and I try to get to it to set a trap before someone can get to it and light the fire bringing in more enemy soldiers. If you don't like it you are not forced to use it.
    I constantly use Ikaros - and every eagle we've had.
    What a time saver in so many ways. I also use it to harass specific guards to keep them occupied while I do missions or to give me time to do something.
    I can't imagine not having an Eagle... and how do you find all the orichalcum around the map?? Ikaros has found the majority of it thru my game.
    Plus I like having a sidekick pet with me thru the game =)
     2 people found this helpful

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Eh, I'm kinda with OP on this, to be honest.

Sure, Eagle Vision has been in every game in some form or another. But it sounds like G_IDLE87 is specifically talking about the "drone" style one where you fly a bird around to scout an area, the mechanic introduced in Origins and continued in Odyssey and (probably) Valhalla.

I really liked it when it was first introduced, but I think that for it to remain engaging, Valhalla is going to have to get a little creative with it. For instance, I just finished Watch_Dogs 2 again the other day, and I really enjoy the drone in that- but that's because it can do a lot of really creative things outside of tagging enemies.

Otherwise, I'd prefer just a strong version of Black Flag's sense, or even Unity's pulse.

I much prefer the "drone" we have in Origins, Odyssey, and confirmed to be in Valhalla over the old system, some of which were eye-bleedingly bad.

But as people said, if you don't like it, don't use it. I don't recall having to use Senu or Ikaros, as opposed to the old systems requiring it some times.

pesto.'s Avatar Senior Member
    It's cool and very pretty, but yeah it's not necessarily the only way to do this. It feels like it was added as a way to show off "look at what our engine can do".

For instance you could find out the routes that guards take and secret entrances and exits to a fort all sorts of other ways, from exploration, from information handed to you in a tavern, from talking to NPC's, from notes written down in previous forts etc. From disguising yourself and going into the fort. From allies.

And the pulse could also do a lot as it used to in previous games.

Imagine if you could have different companions, not just a bird. If you had a dog that you could control, wandering around, seeing what's going on. Or if you could build your way up through animal companions, culminating in a bird as something you got much later on in the game. Maybe the companion could indicate some hidden things in the map just by going to them and trying to get you to follow them to interesting items or hidden entrances etc when they knew you were scouting out a particular location.

Right now what's there is stale. It needs to feel more AC specific.

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    Right now what's there is stale. It needs to feel more AC specific.
    The eagle serves a specific purpose of having a 'bird's eye view" and is a companion pet that the assassin's have been using as their eyes
    - - but your comment there can literally be used to dismantle EVERYTHING traditional in AC and turn it into any other game becuz it's gotten "stale".

That's basically why so much has already changed and so many early players are angry. Fans had been complaining how predictable & stale it had gotten in many respects and with some things I agreed.

The question becomes, at what point does it stop being or feeling like Assassin's Creed the older this series gets?

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Originally Posted by LDS_Darth_Revan Go to original post

But as people said, if you don't like it, don't use it. I don't recall having to use Senu or Ikaros, as opposed to the old systems requiring it some times.
    Technically speaking, perhaps.

But the game's quests are definitely designed with the eagle in mind. Not using it would likely make it far harder to find objectives, if not in part because of how spaced out everything is.

Originally Posted by cawatrooper9 Go to original post
    Technically speaking, perhaps.

But the game's quests are definitely designed with the eagle in mind. Not using it would likely make it far harder to find objectives, if not in part because of how spaced out everything is.
    So, you don't want eagle vision, but you don't want things to be harder to find... so mark everything from the start?