Settlers 1 HE - Splitscreen Mutliplayer with Mouse + Controller Bug

I'm experiencing a problem with Settlers 1 (History Edition) when attempting to run a multiplayer split-screen game. The game description says that it's possible to have any combination of keyboard, mouse, and joypad for multiplayer but I find when I start a multiplayer game, the mouse stops responding despite working fine for a single-player game. Here's an example of this happening:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/157c...ew?usp=sharing

Here you can see at the start, a single-player game works fine with mouse control. For the multiplayer game, the joypad input works as expected, albeit slightly erratic. But the mouse input no longer works at all and the first player (blue, left of screen) is unable to do anything. Again, this is despite it working fine with a single-player game. I also tried a few settings but to no success including the legacy controls option. Here's a screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xoa...ew?usp=sharing

I first saw this issue talked about back in 2018 and it's a shame this still doesn't seem to work properly. Can anyone shed any insight?

I'm using a Logitech mouse but if the mouse was the problem, I wouldn't expect it to be fine for a single-player game. But it does work fine. It's only when starting a multiplayer game that problems occur.

Ubi-Raziel's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Originally Posted by MonocleFox Go to original post
    I'm experiencing a problem with Settlers 1 (History Edition) when attempting to run a multiplayer split-screen game. The game description says that it's possible to have any combination of keyboard, mouse, and joypad for multiplayer but I find when I start a multiplayer game, the mouse stops responding despite working fine for a single-player game. Here's an example of this happening:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/157c...ew?usp=sharing

Here you can see at the start, a single-player game works fine with mouse control. For the multiplayer game, the joypad input works as expected, albeit slightly erratic. But the mouse input no longer works at all and the first player (blue, left of screen) is unable to do anything. Again, this is despite it working fine with a single-player game. I also tried a few settings but to no success including the legacy controls option. Here's a screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xoa...ew?usp=sharing

I first saw this issue talked about back in 2018 and it's a shame this still doesn't seem to work properly. Can anyone shed any insight?

I'm using a Logitech mouse but if the mouse was the problem, I wouldn't expect it to be fine for a single-player game. But it does work fine. It's only when starting a multiplayer game that problems occur.
    Hey! I'm sorry to read you're having issues with split screen.

I agree that this is likely not a mouse-specific issue, however it's best we try a few ideas to narrow the issue down further.

Do you perhaps own another mouse? If so, can you please try that under the same circumstances?

Also, does the keyboard still seem to work fine?

Thank you!
     1 people found this helpful

Thanks for getting back to me. I wanted to be thorough so I tested this with a Microsoft mouse and a different Logitech mouse to the same problems described above. For sake of testing, I also attempted to have player 1 use a controller and player 2 use the mouse although it has the same problem - mouse input isn't recognised, but this time for player two as you might imagine.

You can successfully use keyboard and controller in multiplayer although, truthfully, I feel this game really benefits more from mouse control. It's much more natural than moving around with the keyboard. Hope you can help!

Ubi-Raziel's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Originally Posted by MonocleFox Go to original post
    Thanks for getting back to me. I wanted to be thorough so I tested this with a Microsoft mouse and a different Logitech mouse to the same problems described above. For sake of testing, I also attempted to have player 1 use a controller and player 2 use the mouse although it has the same problem - mouse input isn't recognised, but this time for player two as you might imagine.

You can successfully use keyboard and controller in multiplayer although, truthfully, I feel this game really benefits more from mouse control. It's much more natural than moving around with the keyboard. Hope you can help!
    Hello! No trouble at all, I hope you are well

Taking The Settlers split screen out of the equation for a moment, does your mouse usually work fine with a controller connected? Either in Single Players or when using Windows in generally. I'm trying to be certain if this is a game-specific issue.

Please also verify your game files: https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/faqs/000025650/

It is unusual but we'll figure it out!
     1 people found this helpful

Hello. I can't say I've ever had a noticeable problem with my mouse and controller in other games, e.g. where one randomly stops working. I can think of a few instances where I've switched between input methods and there's no problem (e.g. clicking on an in-game menu, but playing the game mostly with a controller)

I verified all the game files and they appeared to be fine but to be doubly sure, I also fully reinstalled the game. Unfortunately the same problem still persisted. It's definitely unusual but having seen at least one other report on the forums here makes me think it's not unique to me at least. Hope you can help!

Apologies for bumping the topic but are there any other thoughts on how this bug might be resolved? It's quite easy to reproduce, potentially. It would be good to hear if others have had the problem and/or if it's a known bug that will need investigated.

Ubi-Swaggins's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hey MonocleFox.

Thank you for raising this.

The team are aware of it and are looking into it

Bought this game today, for nostalgic reason and with a bit of hope that the splitscreen experience would be a breeze.
    Unfortunate I have the exact same problem.
    Mouse works fine on single player, but once in split screen multiplayer the mouse input just doesn't work.
    Based on previous post 3 months have passed since the awareness was made to the team, is a dev working on resolving this issue?

Have the same issue

Last week, we started with the issue and then somehow refreshed the game and got it to work. That is no longer the case though as we've tried today multiple times and ways to somehow get the mouse to work in split-screen mode.