🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Division forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Hazard Prot, Fire and Build Diversity in PvP

At the current state of PvP in this game hazard protection has become a must in every build. Even with the Dynasty Holster small nerf, carrying 75-95% fire resist is practically mandatory, specially since skillpower chem launcher is so strong and any fire status makes you unable to aim/crit/sprint/elbow kill/etc. Fire has become the strongest CC by far in PvP and a huge advantage to deny most gun builds that rely in Crit Dmg or Headshot Dmg to deal burst PvP dps.
    And don't forget it is also hitting for A LOT of damage in PvP aswell, so the CC is just a huge bonus to an already strong effect.

Just speccing in "full haz prot" for a PvP player means losing 8-9 atributes rolls:

- 6 attribute loss in the 6 main gear pieces. So 36% CHC / 72% CHD / 60% HS loss. Huge.
    - 2-3 brand gear atribute loss. So another 12% CHC / 24% CHD / 20% HS loss. You could use 3 more brand gear bonuses for the extra 10% but is just not worth it.

Counting that you went the Haz Prot path in the SHD clock and have it maxed out you would stand, WITH PERFECT ROLLS, at 90%Hazard Protection, not even inmune to most effects (which rougly is 93-96% if I remember correctly) and probably around 84-86% in reality. Ah, and don't forget you would be stuck with 2 piece Ceska and 1 piece Yhaal brand set gear, which harms build diversity even more.

It doesn't affect explosive damage, it doesn't affect chem launcher main op hit explosion dmg, or mortar 1 shot, but it stops fire!!

Just reaching 50% makes it nearly impossible to play most gear sets at its full in PvP as they come with 1 less attributes and it has to be 10% haz prot. So you are stuck in mostly yellow high-end builds.

Right now playing with a gear set that requires 4 pieces bonuses to work means, first of all, that you are stuck at 70-80% resists as you can't use 3 brand gear sets for 90% top haz prot god roll, second of all that your dmg/skill output is going to be strongly reduced and third of all that you won't be able to compete vs any kind of regular build with double attribute rolls in use in most pieces.

So.... How could we change/improve this? I think it could be tweaked in many ways and probably a mix of them is the right path to take.

The first thing should adress fire CC in PVP. Right now fire needs either way to have its duration decreased in PvP and/or allow for ADS and/or allow for Crit Dmg.
    I would suggest letting people Crit or ADS should be the best way as you won't be nerfing the fire effect, so no SkillPower player gets affected.
    Just allowing for crit would be a nice change but headshot builds will still be fully denied while if it letted ADS it would allow for it.

The second thing to address would be to increase the value of Hazard Protection rolls you gain from atributes from the actual 10% to 12-15%. I would suggest increasing to 15% so you can actually reach the actual 90% main top value and still be able to top it to 100% with a brand gear. So basically everyone could get the actual 90% value with any kind of brand choice.
    At the same time the amount of atributes a player would have to invest would be reduced from 8-9 to 6-7 and Gear Sets would be able to reach high values aswell and cap themselves.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS:

- Even thought the already said would definetly be a huge improvement to the Haz Prot system it could also benefit from something like a duration reduction "on rolling" so everytime you rolled you'd halve the leftover duration of the effect. (or just bring back the rolling-out-of-CC holstered talent).

- It could also be tweaked with a PvP damage modifier that reduced the amount a player suffers from it but that wouldn't fix any of the OP CC it brings to the user.

- At the same time the old The Division 1 "diminishing returns" where if you got repeatedly catch on the same Status Effect then its duration gets halved everytime you recatch it until the third time where you become inmune for 5-10 secs could be a nice thing to have back.

- It could also be changed so it includes explosive resistance in it and SkillPower damage becomes either way explosive damage or one of the status effect dmg (as it should).

- And please don't forget about resistance blue mods. They should give Hazard protection instead of single resistance or at least give 20% of a single resistance at least. That would give the mods a value similar to red mods and blue armour mod slots would also finally have some value, as Incoming Repairs got a nerf and this slots have practically no use anymore.

So, as you can see, there's so many ways to improve and fix this, and definetly a mix of them could work. Just my 2 cents.

PD: some numbers might be wrong as PTS numbers are subject to test-verify so if anyone finds any mistakes let me know and I'll try to fix it.
     18 people found this helpful

Good post!
     5 people found this helpful

Listen to this guy massive pls
     4 people found this helpful

Eyacua is a reputable pvp division streamer I give my 100% blessing on this post. 100% accurate and spot on.

Just wanted to add that on top of being one of the strongest forms of CC in PVP, fire is also one of the most accessible too from grenades, exotic talents, to multiple SHD skills as well.

I'm 100% on board with diminishing returns for status effects given how frequently they pop up during firefights. I also feel that the old holstered talents we used to have that allowed you to negate status effects (E.g. Putting out fire by rolling) followed by a balanced cooldown afterward would have be really handy as well.
     2 people found this helpful

Great post buddy
     5 people found this helpful

Increase amount of hazard protection rolls on gear, good idea and good post. Also as Mystic suggests, give us a way to avoid hazards sporadically with some time of skill or gear talent.
     1 people found this helpful

nice post eyacua

!!
     2 people found this helpful

As1r0nimo's Avatar Senior Member
    My idea, how to fix that bs:

Hazard protection
    Instead of having a separate Explosive protection stat, that nobody actually uses, it should be integrated into Hazard protection with 0.6 value. So, at 100% HP you will recieve only 40% of the initial damage.

Fire DoT
    Instead of blocking ADS, it should Decrease your Handling. It will hurt a bit any weapon build, while also letting them a chance to fight back. 50% would be enough.

Bleed
    It should deal the same damage as fire. Additional effect - decrease incoming healing by 50%. It will be a good way to counter tanking builds, since they won't be able to outheal your damage.

Damage over time in general
    Instead of decreasing the duration, Hazard protection should decrease the damage itself. Up to 75% at 75% Hazard protection (at 80% it will still be a 75% resistance, so no point for increasing HP further).

Cleansing
    TO solve the old problem of Division 2 with status effects, there should be a way, to cleanse yourself from damage over time effects.
    Fire - by perfoming a roll dodge, you will decrease the duration of you current Fire effect by 33%. So, roll three times and you are clear. Or 2 times in a row and you will be clear a second later.
    Bleed - since running with a bleed from your legs will only increase it's damage, there is a way to counter bleed. Stop moving. Simple as that. If you don't move, the duration of the bleed effect will tick 3 times as fast. So get into cover and don't move.

These suggestions will work as a complex fix, not one thing
     6 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by As1r0nimo Go to original post
    My idea, how to fix that bs:

Hazard protection
    Instead of having a separate Explosive protection stat, that nobody actually uses, it should be integrated into Hazard protection with 0.6 value. So, at 100% HP you will recieve only 40% of the initial damage.

Fire DoT
    Instead of blocking ADS, it should Decrease your Handling. It will hurt a bit any weapon build, while also letting them a chance to fight back. 50% would be enough.

Bleed
    It should deal the same damage as fire. Additional effect - decrease incoming healing by 50%. It will be a good way to counter tanking builds, since they won't be able to outheal your damage.

Damage over time in general
    Instead of decreasing the duration, Hazard protection should decrease the damage itself. Up to 75% at 75% Hazard protection (at 80% it will still be a 75% resistance, so no point for increasing HP further).

Cleansing
    TO solve the old problem of Division 2 with status effects, there should be a way, to cleanse yourself from damage over time effects.
    Fire - by perfoming a roll dodge, you will decrease the duration of you current Fire effect by 33%. So, roll three times and you are clear. Or 2 times in a row and you will be clear a second later.
    Bleed - since running with a bleed from your legs will only increase it's damage, there is a way to counter bleed. Stop moving. Simple as that. If you don't move, the duration of the bleed effect will tick 3 times as fast. So get into cover and don't move.

These suggestions will work as a complex fix, not one thing
    wow, 100% agree make a thread !