ROXunreal's Avatar Senior Member
    When shooting many Il-2 versions you can see stuff "popping" or exploding from it when you score a hit, what is that, some kind of reactive armor?

When shooting many Il-2 versions you can see stuff "popping" or exploding from it when you score a hit, what is that, some kind of reactive armor?

DuxCorvan's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ROXunreal:
    When shooting many Il-2 versions you can see stuff "popping" or exploding from it when you score a hit, what is that, some kind of reactive armor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just your HE ammo exploding when hits.

Nope, happens only when I shoot IL-2's, with any plane

Trefle's Avatar Banned
    The sim was initially focused on the Il-2 , so chances are you see it only wth the Il-2 cause they probably didn't change this "flash" effect since the early days of the sim , just speculation though

I believe it's supposed to be the bullets being deflected from the armour, not sure why we don't get it on other planes, would be nice

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    The front section of the IL-2 is unique in that its a couple of complete pieces of solid armour moulded around the engine and pilot area. If you're seeing white streaks thats the ricochet of some of your smaller bullets bouncing off of the armour.

This effect can sometimes happen on other planes but since the IL-2 is the only one to have such a complete piece of armour its the only time you're really going to see it happen frequently.

slipBall's Avatar Senior Member
    IL-2...the flying tank

DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    IL-2's regularly burst into some weird ricochet debris every time it hits the ground.
    Check it out .

I've rarely seen that effect on some other planes... I think I saw it on FW-190 & Tempest, but I'm not exactly sure .

Yeah, I saw that the other day when my IL10 went out of fuel and I had to jump. I thought it was intended to show the magazine exploding on impact.