PvE Skill Builds - utterly low DPS - Why?

Skills were really strong and more automated in Division 1, and i don't even dare to start thinking about what it has become in Division 2.
    It feels like you're controlling 2~3 characters at the same time, constantly, and in exchange you get bad damage output.

I've just been testing for quite a while now on the PTS, just to take another glance on this mess, so lets get right into it:

Max DPS i was able to reach with an Assault Rifle and Sticky Bomb vs a Single Target was
    4.9million damage.

This means:
    Assault Turret + Shooting + Secondary Sticky Bomb + SKILL OVERCHARGE on a single target.

My build isn't perfect, but it's pretty decent.
    So even if someone reaches 10million DPS (doubt that it's possible, but let's just assume it for now), it's still aprox. 15million off from a weapon DPS build.

You can absolutely reach >25 million DPS with a weapon build, yet i only manage to reach 5million with a skill DPS build.

On top of that, i used the new Harmony Weapon to reach the +40% skill dmg.
    And it's still only 5million DPS.

Then let's use Turret - Sniper
    Same build.
    5.2million DPS. Another lil baby.

Artillery, while it generates more DPS if used on multiple opponents, it's still not easy to use, and it only works in certain situations.
    Against a single target, DPS is absolutely unusable.

The point is:
    With a skill build, it requires WAY more interaction with the game, for you to achieve this.

So here's the thing about skill builds:
    Concentrating on using your skill, because in Division 2, any freaking skill asks you to aim and push a freaking button. Automated system do simply no longer exist...
    At the same time, for example turrets aren't reliable on hitting their target, they may just shoot into a corner or any other little obstacle that's in their way.
    On top of that:
    You are using a secondary skill, just to close the gap between not dealing any damage singe your turrets needs to reload.
    On top of that:
    You are aiming and shooting your weapon.

So while you're doing an immense amount of work (which let's be honest, casual players can't do them all at once, that's why they usualy stay behind cover and don't even move their little toe while their turret is working)
    you're still not even getting close the damage output that you can reach by simply shooting a DPS build gun.

Please note:

I don't play Skill Builds. Because i'm more of a gun player.
    I don't like Skill Builds. Because in Division 2 they're a chore to use.
    But i like variety. And my friends are skill build players, and they all stopped playing and i would love to bring them back.

So each time i try to play a skill build, it's just showing me yet again, it's not worth the effort, and i absolutely agree with my friends.
    I end up deleting those builds right away, because even after hundreds of hours of farming with great gear combinations, the end-result is with lots of skills a joke.

I personally think skill damage builds should reach AT LEAST as much as a full weapon DPS build.
    But we're so far off from that goal, i can't imagine how this has ever been balanced. Or with what mindset it was balanced.

So to all the skill build players out there:
    1.) What's your max DPS that you can reach on a single target, and which skills did you use?
    2.) Do you think skill builds are well balanced when compared to Weapon DPS builds?
    3.) Do you have any experience with Weapon DPS builds?
    4.) Are there any skill outliers (good and bad)?

Would love to hear the opinion from more experienced players.
    I personaly didn't find any build guide that ever came close to a weapon dps build, and i also wasn't able to come up with one myself.
     4 people found this helpful

As1r0nimo's Avatar Senior Member
    Skills are not yet touched on this phase.
    As for Live, their are on pair on other builds (not m1a BS).

So you reach 25million DPS with a skill build?
    If so, please tell me how, because i really can't believe that.
    Going through the numbers on skills, that seems absolutely impossible.

Because that's what i reached with a decent LMG build on the PTS.
    Not a rifle...

Also, they never said that they're going to tuch skill builds in phase 2, or did i miss something?

I'm just really trying to point out how underperforming skill builds currently are, compared to weapon builds, and i really hope they're going to address that.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Everade Go to original post
    So you reach 25million DPS with a skill build?
    If so, please tell me how, because i really can't believe that.
    Going through the numbers on skills, that seems absolutely impossible.

Because that's what i reached with a decent LMG build on the PTS.
    Not a rifle...

Also, they never said that they're going to tuch skill builds in phase 2, or did i miss something?

I'm just really trying to point out how underperforming skill builds currently are, compared to weapon builds, and i really hope they're going to address that.
    Lol. Show me 25 million DPS on LMG. I really want to see it.

Sure. Easily done in real world scenario. Obviously, the point, were skills should go.
    I can show you a sticky bomb (flame), with 59 (x2) seconds duration and 73k damage per second. On 6 or so targets. Now what?

Again, skills are skills. Don't compare them to the guns directly.

I compare, my overall damage that you can reach, weapon to skill.
    I'm not saying all skills are bad, but most when it comes to DPS, especialy against single targets.
    And i'm not DIRECTLY comparing it.
    With a SKILL DPS build, i put out ALL the damage i could, including my weapon damage and 2 skills with as much skill damage buffs as i could get.
    And yet my TTK is aprox. 6 times lower than with any decent weapon build.

I never talked about AoE, and talked about Single Target Damage.

Surely some skills have certain purposes.
    But a true DPS skill build should come close to maximize your damage to a point where it comes close to a weapon DPS build.

That's just common sense.

If it takes 6 times longer to kill an enemy with a skill build vs a weapon build, then something is terribly wrong.
    At least turrets are underperforming for single target, can't speak much about anything else.

So if you're nothing constructive to share, please just don't.
    Thank you.

But you don't have any constructive to share aswell.

Ok, you want Single target damage? Fine. Sniper turret. 12 million damage headshots on live. Without any PTS updates. Spike will be easier to maintain. Clusters, to deal overall damage for groups and Sniper turret for one fat target.

What's your proposal? Buff it? So it will oneshot everything just because? Ok, talents. Which talent? And how to not make it a broken thing for, let's say, Sticky bomb. Or Explosive seeker.

Currently, with ok build turret plus drone can deal ~10 million dps. Add here In-sync on PTS with 1 0 5 build and Technician. +30% (40 perfect) will increase that DPS even further. Plus add here your own gun damage.

Skills are a different gameplay style. You can't just put 20+ million dps there and call it a day.

UPD: just for testing purpose, tried a **** build in shooting range. 6 million DPS with 2 remarks:
    1) For whatever reason, when "immortal target" dies, the damage doesn't counts. And old bug of shooting range. Altough with guns it works fine.
    2) Keenetic moment DOESN'T work in shooting range. And it's 35% multiplicative damage, btw.

Jumpel's Avatar Junior Member
    In a lengendary run I top dps with more than 2000M damage (mortar + seeker). The two other guy with weapon build were at 1800M and 1600M.

Some people do legendary run with 4 comp build too.

Comp build are more a hybrid thing than a pure dps. Actualy the drone, turret and hive do descent dammage and are great to tank/distract

Originally Posted by As1r0nimo Go to original post
    But you don't have any constructive to share aswell.

Ok, you want Single target damage? Fine. Sniper turret. 12 million damage headshots on live. Without any PTS updates. Spike will be easier to maintain. Clusters, to deal overall damage for groups and Sniper turret for one fat target.

What's your proposal? Buff it? So it will oneshot everything just because? Ok, talents. Which talent? And how to not make it a broken thing for, let's say, Sticky bomb. Or Explosive seeker.

Currently, with ok build turret plus drone can deal ~10 million dps. Add here In-sync on PTS with 1 0 5 build and Technician. +30% (40 perfect) will increase that DPS even further. Plus add here your own gun damage.

Skills are a different gameplay style. You can't just put 20+ million dps there and call it a day.
    I asked for constructive feedback from experienced players, and all you did was calling BS on me yet didn't answer ANY of my questions.
    I said that i'm not a skill player from the start off and backed up my information with actual tests.

Obviously you didn't even read my entire topic through.
    Neither did you answer any of the questions i've asked in my topic, yet expect me to have your knowledge.

None of your information talks about any of the issues i've been pointing out. At least, not directly.
    PS: Never seen a sniper turret doing a single headshot, no idea how that's supposed to work.
    If that's actualy possible, great!

If that's the case, then sniper turret is way more valuable than i knew.
    I guess getting headshots isn't easy and most likely another terrible mechanic, but that sounds like great damage output.

And if you can actualy achieve that much damage as you're claiming.
    That's also great.
    I still have no ******g clue how because you still don't talk about specifics, but maybe my entire topic can be closed/ignored then.

That only leaves assault turret and drone as most likely the lowest dps thingies that are supposed for a little distraction, which is ok i guess.

Thanks for the information, obviously skills are better than what i was able to achieve.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►