Clearer agency in the storyline ending required

This game is absolutely astounded me with it's endings.

I tried very hard to do the right thing by Alexios and yet I still got a really horrible ending so I'm annoyed.

I did some research and turns out there is a list of hidden criteria to trigger a good ending where we all get to be a family again and apparently I didn't pick the 'correct' options from a selection of seemingly benign reasonable ones while I was in a jail cell. Not that I provoked Alexios or blatantly shouted 'You're a deadbeat brother, we all hate you!', no, I didn't select the exact options that someone decided would allow me to save Alexios even though none of them hinted that 'this choice is going to make/ stop your brother commit matricide' at me to distinguish them from the available alternatives. I was trying my best to convince him the cult was using him by being firm and fair. After that the ending was sealed in concrete with nothing I do changing that fact. Apparently the deciding factor was that I didn't mention I had been thrown off the mountain too though why that was crucial in not getting him to murder Myrinne is unclear since she didn't throw anyone off the mountain.

It just seems a bit farfetched to me. Usually in RPG games I can steer characters to the ending I wish to pursue or they give you multiple chances at homing in on the desired outcome, but not in this game, and the ending is pretty crushing. Or often there is a balance of things which contribute to the ending weighting against each other like in silent hill games and not just a 'do one thing wrong and you get the worst ending where your brother kills your mother'. I'm going to have to go and drink a beer and play with my dog to get over it. It feels very harsh.

This game is like a crapshoot. I believed I was doing all the right things but in the end it turns out it just wasn't good enough.

If I bother to continue playing I feel like every dialogue option now I'm second guessing what might happen because the ramifications are so obscure and unforeseeable. Like that time I freed someone who was just defending himself apparently and he comes back and poisons someone. Is that meant to make me go 'oh that's a great situation, damned if I do and damned if I don't.' People play games to escape reality not to be met with an even more confusing and depressing reality. It's not clever in my book, just like I said, depressing.

Perhaps I can go and kill the whole of Athens to get over it. Why not afterall no matter how many civilians I kill it doesn't seem to effect anything. It's like some tiny little insignificant dialogue options make miles of difference whereas vast acts of slaughter are all just ok.

Way to drain all my motivation to play the dlc's or any other ac games because I will never know if the dialogue option I select is good enough to achieve the desired outcome. I just feel extremely frustrated. Actually I pretty much won't be playing them just no doubt to be met with some awfulness so the developers can feel smug with a gotcha moment of 'look how smart we are, I bet you never thought your obscure dialog choice would have repercussions like that'. Well your right, I didn't think choosing a particular innocuous seeming dialog option would result in that and I'm done with it because it's not clever it's just frustrating. Choices that are critical to in game developments need to be presented as such else there is a disconnect. What they are doing is mistaking blind decisions for sophisticated storytelling.

Here is a website about creating meaningful player choice in games, it might be a good refresher for those designing ac games: https://www.universityxp.com/blog/20...ingful-choices

Choice construction
    For designers and games-based learning educators, your choice construction can be a difficult prospect. But in order for a choice to be meaningful, it needs to show players clear possible outcomes as well as included rewards and potential risks.
    With this in mind, the player can make an informed choice that gives their decision permanence. With permanence, a player can make a decision and let the remainder of the game remind them the consequence of that choice.

You need to be more specific. If you ever acted or chosed an aggressive or rude dialogue option when talking to Deimos, of course it's gonna end bad, since all his or her life all he/she knew were violence and sadness. The only thing i see as being unfair is the dialogue choices with Myrrine, you need to say that you will save Deimos or bring him/her back to get the happy ending. Also, the happy ending sucks, the one in which you are forced to kill Deimos is way better imo.