🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The For Honor forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    MrBdur's Avatar Senior Member

PC vs Console

Ok. I see a lot of conflicting opinions on these forums, and I believe it's due to there basically being 2 For Honors.

This game is very different between Console and PC. The majority of people here that say "you obviously suck if light spam is an issue" are playing on PC, and the complainers of light spam are most likely on Console.

Basically, For Honor is unplayable on Console in it's current state. My only hope is that next gen consoles can run For Honor as it was intended.

On Console, light spam is still an issue. 50/50's are cancer. Some heroes are 100% busted.

Not sure how everything feels on PC, but I'm telling you. On Console, this game is currently hot garbage.

I am a veteran player, since launch. I've made diamond numerous times. I am far from being bad lol.

That being said, I regularly experience newer players beating me. This is only within the last year or so. People far worse at the game than me, are beating me.

What I mean is, if it were a mirror match, they can't touch me, but as soon as they pick the correct hero, they obliterate me and leave me feeling like it's my first time playing.

This isn't how the game was originally built, but it's what the game has devolved into, at least on Console. If I had a proper gaming PC, I'd just ditch Console For Honor.

MayanKingGaming's Avatar Senior Member
    I play in console too( after my pc broke last year) , and yeah without a doubt is a worst experience.
    Light spam was an issue but right now with coffee and prediction training (animation patterns) is less a problem. My problem is 50/50 from some hitos or Jorgs. That alone is very frustrating, some timings and designs are so absurd (Yeah I see you jorg) that if you choose a hero from the standard roster you are basically handicapping yourself. The animations in some of their 50/50 are nearly impossible to react with 30 fps. So is a guess game now? Fine but my standard char can't do like premiums. She doesn't even have a bash or unblockable to force reactions, give me a break.

Console has numerous problems including higher than average latencies (mostly because people play with ACTUAL WiFI), higher input delay (usually exacerbated by a bad setup), 30 fps cap (affects moves like raider stun/storming tap and other soft feint/"movement" actions that do not show the proper/full animation). From there you also have a larger population so matchmaking will be more diverse and also potentially more unbalanced as there is a larger spread data to pull from. If you're getting spammed to death by lights (especially from neutral) and latencies are around or under 50-60 ping then that's on you at that point. Improve your setup, get good, and/or accept that some moves are unreactable (even on pc) and you have to make a read. I play on PC and PS4, my PS4 (when i play FH) is connected to a 165 hz refresh monitor that I use my pc on as well, and is connected via a long *** (not sure specific length) ethernet cable that gives me approximately 50-90 mbps download and 5-8 mbps upload depending on various other factors and my connection is not the best, but its also a hell of a lot better than the average console players. The main difference is the input delay and the animation skips due to less frames. But those are static issues that as of right now are constant. Unfortunately people can help having ****ty setups or connections and choose not to improve it, to the point that every game and I mean every game I go into dominion on PS4 there is at least one person on my team or opponent team with either actual wifi (packet loss/ping spikes) or constant high ping or both. All those factors combined create an unfun experience, but the only thing that can be realistically worked on is a latency cap because a latency cap of 300 ms ping is laughably absurd.

The frame rate difference between consoles and pcs is the main reason the developers never gonna have actual balance in the game. The devs need to put the choice to console players between graphics and performance like many games doing now. The feedback after should become more accurate and the game gonna become more balance something ubi must did much time before.

Originally Posted by xX_The_B_Dur_Xx Go to original post
    Ok. I see a lot of conflicting opinions on these forums, and I believe it's due to there basically being 2 For Honors.

This game is very different between Console and PC. The majority of people here that say "you obviously suck if light spam is an issue" are playing on PC, and the complainers of light spam are most likely on Console.

Basically, For Honor is unplayable on Console in it's current state. My only hope is that next gen consoles can run For Honor as it was intended.

On Console, light spam is still an issue. 50/50's are cancer. Some heroes are 100% busted.

Not sure how everything feels on PC, but I'm telling you. On Console, this game is currently hot garbage.

I am a veteran player, since launch. I've made diamond numerous times. I am far from being bad lol.

That being said, I regularly experience newer players beating me. This is only within the last year or so. People far worse at the game than me, are beating me.

What I mean is, if it were a mirror match, they can't touch me, but as soon as they pick the correct hero, they obliterate me and leave me feeling like it's my first time playing.

This isn't how the game was originally built, but it's what the game has devolved into, at least on Console. If I had a proper gaming PC, I'd just ditch Console For Honor.

Originally Posted by PapillonFlota Go to original post
    I play in console too( after my pc broke last year) , and yeah without a doubt is a worst experience.
    Light spam was an issue but right now with coffee and prediction training (animation patterns) is less a problem. My problem is 50/50 from some hitos or Jorgs. That alone is very frustrating, some timings and designs are so absurd (Yeah I see you jorg) that if you choose a hero from the standard roster you are basically handicapping yourself. The animations in some of their 50/50 are nearly impossible to react with 30 fps. So is a guess game now? Fine but my standard char can't do like premiums. She doesn't even have a bash or unblockable to force reactions, give me a break.
    Thank you guys for pointing this out I have been saying the same thing for awhile now and I constantly get attacked for it on here. I haven't played the PC version but I heard the experience is way better than console. I think I been on since Season 2 and even with P2P server back then it the game was at least playable and enjoyable but definitely had its flaws. Ubisoft has definitelyhas failed the console version of the game.

I mean, there's a lot in there I could pull out and respond to but i'd just get called out for attacking you. So i'll just give my experience instead.

I started my For honor experience on console, Xbox specifically, in the closed beta. My primary experience on console was 80ish percent duels. and 20% everything else. I played on console rather consistently up until BP's release. I had bought FH for PC when year of the harbinger was announced along with it's season pass. But I didn't move officially over to pc till sometime during the beginning of hitokiri's season. So it's fair to say that while my last console experience wasn't the most recent it's also not so far behind that I think anyone could make a realistic argument against the claims I will make based on my experience not being the most current.

I am not a great player. I have my good days. But the best you could call me is above average. my reaction times are nothing special either. On a good day it's about 300ms. "light spam" was never a problem for me. There were specific heros that I had a more difficult time shutting out with just blocking (namely Valk.) But someone just mashing the light button never killed me. I was already pretty proficient at landing parries more often than not and deflects if I actually bothered to attempt them back in the beta.
    "Bash spam" Was also something I never particularly struggled with. Admittingly getting used to varied times on bashes was more difficult to deal with than simply blocking buffered 500ms lights. But it wasn't what i'd call actually difficult.

Switching to pc didn't really do anything drastic for me. I was better able to see thrust based attacks which meant Valk became a lot easier to shut out. But beyond that I haven't particularly noticed any increase in my consistency to deal with anything else. So i'm going to write that off as valk just being a hang up for me specifically. And I always tell people that. Comparing my limited console dominion experience with my basically exclusive pc dominion experience they're practically the same. I still see people not making proper rotations. Still see a third person join into a gank when it's clearly not needed. Death balling. etc. The ONE thing I can say for sure about the pc base is that the average player is more "woke" to how the game works.

What I mean is they typically have a better understanding of either match ups or how the games mechanics work and can be used. This makes them better than most console players. But it's not like things become infinitely harder to deal with. Just means you can't get away with really dumb things like a raw demon's embrace in a gank with zero setup as often on pc as you'd likely find on console.

Which is a nice lead into my point about myself. The only reason why I believe to be a notable individual amongst my friends (whom some actually play the game competitively,) is because my sheer understanding of the game as a whole combined with my exceptional ability to read a players behavior. Both things allow me to realistically handle things that my only okay reactions would normally not let me handle. It also helps that I actually can be given direction on demand and basically execute pretty quickly in response to said command. But that's enough tooting my own horn.

The primary problem with console is it's excessive input delay/lag. Frame rate is important but jumping from 30-60 doesn't suddenly mean you can see things good enough to react to everything. And while some people who have 140hz monitors allowing them to have close to 140 frames certainly has an advantage over people who sit at 30/60 the situations in which it is a tangible benefit is very few and far between. And it can be argued that the more defining factor in this case would be for the very small amount of people who have basically inhuman reaction times.

A decent console setup compared to an average pc setup is very similar. And while the input delay is a significant problem it's not impossible to work with. I saw this for myself when UDDA subbed out one of their guys for a console player when they ran some console tournies. Said person was not only a great player but actually carried in a few matches. And said player IIRC was just a random person, not some big individual in the community. My point being there are other exceptional console players that haven't migrated to pc. So in my opinion you cannot use the platform to excuse your poor experience entirely.

You'll have to take some personal accountability.
     1 people found this helpful

Yes input delay is the big problem in console, 30 fps while are noticeable don't change the right timings once you learned them(obviously with 60fps your eyes strain less) , input delay and a poor set (McDonald's WiFi, cheap Internet) that produce higher pings are Worst.

I win on console mostly, 3.05 on 4v4 and 2.90 on Duel with my main, and 2.70 globally. Definitely you can play well on console but that input delay is tricky.

MrBdur's Avatar Senior Member
    One of the biggest problems (and variables) about this topic is skill levels. I've had noob players telling me that they never get caught by the things i do, and just concluding they must be better. The fact is, that noob player is playing against other noobs. No wonder their experience seems easier. I get caught by seemingly silly things but i also play at a very high level.

I tried playing on a smurf account just to see the difference. I played 2 players in probably 10 duels. I could not continue, as I felt really bad for my opponents whom neither could even hope to beat me. It was a complete joke. No wonder all the noobs think theyre better than the vets. "Haha, I dodge warden vortex spam all the time, its easy!!" But the opponent literally spams nothing but SB making it incredibly easy to dodge. Lol

The funny thing is though, as soon as you fight those noob players, they realize how huge the gap in skill is and then scratch their heads as to why you get caught by things that they dont.

Its simple. I get caught by more stuff because i play against superior players who know how to do all the crazy stuff and how to land the "easy to dodge" stuff.

Knight Raime, I would very much like to experience your skill level, and see if perhaps you just fight easier opponents. I am on Xbox One, GT: MrBdur

Originally Posted by xX_The_B_Dur_Xx Go to original post
    One of the biggest problems (and variables) about this topic is skill levels. I've had noob players telling me that they never get caught by the things i do, and just concluding they must be better. The fact is, that noob player is playing against other noobs. No wonder their experience seems easier. I get caught by seemingly silly things but i also play at a very high level.

I tried playing on a smurf account just to see the difference. I played 2 players in probably 10 duels. I could not continue, as I felt really bad for my opponents whom neither could even hope to beat me. It was a complete joke. No wonder all the noobs think theyre better than the vets. "Haha, I dodge warden vortex spam all the time, its easy!!" But the opponent literally spams nothing but SB making it incredibly easy to dodge. Lol

The funny thing is though, as soon as you fight those noob players, they realize how huge the gap in skill is and then scratch their heads as to why you get caught by things that they dont.

Its simple. I get caught by more stuff because i play against superior players who know how to do all the crazy stuff and how to land the "easy to dodge" stuff.

Knight Raime, I would very much like to experience your skill level, and see if perhaps you just fight easier opponents. I am on Xbox One, GT: MrBdur
    It's because their low skill idea of offense is spamming bashes, light spam, chained Hiperarmor attacks and simple mixes with GB feints. They even think orochi light spam is a thing.

I'm not high rep like you(49) but since my first six months of playing the game the matchmaking decided to put me against players from 100 to 500 reps, many 70 reps with their mains.

What I learned is that many of high reps are just there not for skill but for hours played meaning they are average. Others are truly high level and can erase you from a match like nothing. I learned to counter them. I learned to adapt. I trained a lot to not be obliterated.

But sometimes the difficulty to find me a match after 5 or even more minutes put some noobs/low skilled against me... They try the vortex and some other things that normally I would avoid or counter but I occasionally fail at first, so they messaging me that they are better cause I'm higher rep or make emote spam. Later they rage quit because I can adapt, they not and just destroyed them in the process .

They are not even capable of doing a 50/50 like the good hitos, lb, Highlanders etc. Much less understand how to counter difficult mixes, read baits or how good is a backdodge shoulder bash or how a highlander canceled kick with grab is safe and deadly. I can relate to that feeling of being catched by silly things, you are right to say there is some movements safe and deadly at higher level even in chars like highlander.

Originally Posted by MrBdur Go to original post

Eh. I wouldnt say the skill gap in the game is huge. A better way to put it imho is the game has a decently high skill floor. The entry point is brutal especially these days. Not to say a skill gap doesn't exist. I just don't think its massive.

I do not have the game installed on my Xbox, I was thinking of reinstalling post TG changes so I could play with a few friends I left behind.