Hi,
    There is a complete "torture" that relates to this puzzle. I had to read the walkthrough.

1. In UHS (universal hints system) it's written I have to match 5 eye balls that produce sounds to shapes of animals. In other words, any eye ball I see I have to match it the shape. Understood.

2. The problem with that, how am I supposed to know that there are only 5 eye balls I have to match with shapes of animals? There are over 12 stones in that room. More, one eye ball resulted to be on the Workshop island.

3. To each eye ball I have to match the shape of animal. The problem is, how should I have done it. If I haven't read the walkthrough that the shape island for animal with the serial number 1 can be found on the telescope from the Map Island, I would have never guessed.

4. The shape of animal number 2 can be found via submarine. But how? According to the link below (UHS) [ ]http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/riven/581.php [/URL]

I have to fill the basin while I'm not there. How am I supposed to this. I have tried, without success.

Where in short, the hints that relate to this puzzle? Because until I've read those hints I hadn't any slightest match that it refers to this puzzle.

Thanks,
    Eduard.

wstrohm's Avatar Senior Member
    Warning... major spoilers!
    OK, first of all, the "eye" balls are accompanied by a sound when you click on them. The sound you hear is the sound the particular animal makes. There may or may not be a "hint" as to the animal's shape, close to the ball itself. Or the location of the ball could also give a clue as to which animal it represents. To answer your questions in order:

1) You are to identify the animal from the sound the ball makes, and if that is not enough, there are sometimes clues around that hint at what animal it is.

2) The number "5" is extremely important in Riven, as mentioned in Gehn's journal, and as seen throughout the game. The 5-sided rotating room, the 5 islands, etc. There is even an "Easter Egg" on Villager's Island: If after climbing up the ladder to the first villagers's hut at the top, you "knock" (click on the knocker) 5 times, the villager will answer the door. (This will only happen once per game.) So there are 5 animals to select, including the one identified in Gehn's laboratory by the ball that rolls across his desk when you click it. (Notice that ball makes NO sound... hmm.)

3) Animal #1 clue is NOT found from the telescope on Map Island, it is seen through the submarine's periscope, or by deducing it from Gehn's journal which says where his workers found it, and from the fact that it makes no sound when rolled.

4) Animal number 2 is not found by the submarine... have you been in the schoolhouse (via submarine) and learned the D'ni number system, so that you know which symbols represent which numbers?

You don't have to fill the basin when you are not there, if you mean the basin with the "eyeball" in it. There is a faucet handle in the basin; you just have to turn it while you are there.

If you think Riven is hard (and you are right), wait until you get to Myst IV: Revelation!!!

Hi, wstrohm.

And thanks for your answer.

1) First of all, are you saying that the shape of animal #2 is found on the school? And yes, I have the table of D'Ni number and their translation.

2) I has to say that after I used the submarine to get the cone-shaped tower upstairs, I can no longer go down from the tower to the submarine basin. It means that I have to go downstairs by ladder. It also means if I want to use the submarine basin to go to school at the lake, I have to call it from the upstairs where village houses are.

3) I've already been to the house before, after I pressed the lever of submarine at the village mountain/hill (where fire oven is) and succeeded. Now, I repeated the steps. I've used the submarine to get to the cone-shaped tower that allows only one way up and then left to the village where I call for submarine. Now, clicking by mouse on a lever doesn't do anything: the submarine basin doesn't rise (suspicion of a bug) and I can't get it, what mean I can't get to the school either.

4) Secondly, the shape of the animal number 5 is found on the beach at the rock, where animals have been. In the UHS hints it is written that the shape of animal N.5 is formed by the rock.
    Here is the link: http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/riven/618.php
    I really presumed that the shape if of elephant. By how can be so sure?
    In other words, I have problems with animals #2 and #5. Also, as for animal #2, the faucet only opens the basin and lets me see what's up there and nothing more. It doesn't feel the basin.

What I really although I passed the puzzle is to really see the hints - that there is a way to solve the puzzle without a walkthrough. Also, why can't I use the submarine anymore?

PC., Myst IV had many puzzles, but had clearer hints and not troublesome like in Riven.

Thanks in advance,
    Eduard.

First of all, are you saying that the shape of animal #2 is found on the school? And yes, I have the table of D'Ni number and their translation.
    No, I was just making sure you had learned the numbers. You see the shape of animal #2 when you look at the outline of the water in the basin after you turn on the faucet.
    I has to say that after I used the submarine to get the cone-shaped tower upstairs, I can no longer go down from the tower to the submarine basin. It means that I have to go downstairs by ladder. It also means if I want to use the submarine basin to go to school at the lake, I have to call it from the upstairs where village houses are.
    That is normal. The submarine "returns" to its base after you leave it for a while. Once the ladder is extended, that is the path you use to get up and down. The "cone-shaped tower" is actually a "gallows." That is where Gehn sacrificed his victims to the Wahrk.
    ... clicking by mouse on a lever doesn't do anything: the submarine basin doesn't rise (suspicion of a bug) and I can't get it, what mean I can't get to the school either.
    The submarine was probably somewhere else under water. It takes a while, and I don't know how long, for the submarine to return to its home base.
    the shape of the animal number 5 is found on the beach at the rock, where animals have been.
    That is correct, and the sound the #5 animal makes is heard when you click on the ball at the rock. But the animal is not the "Sunners," which swim away from the beach when you approach. I agree the shape of the rock is not a very good clue; I didn't see that when i played the game the first time. I went mostly by the sound. You hear it again when you are on the Survey ("Map") Island sitting in Gehn's observation chair, and click on the red button.
    as for animal #2, the faucet only opens the basin and lets me see what's up there and nothing more. It doesn't feel the basin.
    The faucet lets just enough water in the basin to let you see the outline of the animal, which is the outline of the water in the basin.
    ... why can't I use the submarine anymore?
    If I remember correctly, you can always use the submarine if you wait long enough and play enough more of the game after you leave it. Perhaps you returned to the submarine's home base too quickly, and it had not returned yet.

I thought Riven was hard, but I think Myst IV is much harder.

Hi, wstrohm

1) After I left the island and returned to the village submarine home base I saw it above. It means that it returns to base after I leave the island. That is true, some things repeat themselves as I return to the Village island.

2)I used the submarine to get to the the school. During the ride I haven't noticed anything that resembles the shape of animal I need.I opened the submarine's cover but still hasn't seen anything.

3) Still, I don't understand how we get the shapes of animals #2 and #5. I clearly thought that the shape of animal #5 is elephant.

Could you please tell me which kind of animals were in the puzzle?

At the meantime, I continue the game after being at the Moiety age.

Thanks,
    Eduard.

Eduard,

MAJOR spoilers... Answer to animal puzzle... anyone else DON'T READ if you are playing the game and don't want outright answers.
    2) You won't see a clue to any animal on the direct route to the school. You have to wait for the sub to stop after surfacing in one of the other spots, and look through the periscope. Remember what Gehn wrote in his journal about where his lackey found that ball that's on his desk in his lab?

3) When you are at the water basin, and turn the faucet to let water into it, wait until it is done, and then look at the shape formed by the water in the basin. Did you notice what was crawling on the post to the right of the gate leading into the jungle on Villagers' Island? Did you click on the little critter?

The rock may have looked like an elephant to you, but it is supposed to look like a Wahrk.

Animal 1 = fish in bay on Villagers' Island
    Animal 2 = "ink" bug at gate on Villagers' Island
    Animal 3 = yttram - the little froggy thing that you catch in the trap on Bookbinding Island
    Animal 4 = Sunner - on beach rock on Villagers' Island)
    Animal 5 = Wahrk - seen on bottom level of Survey (Map) Island

Hi, nanoukmetal

I've checked the hints. It is surpring how I misunderstood the sounds of animal. For example, for eye ball #3 (a frog) I understood it as a bird sound. Also, the sound of animal #5 is like an elephant but resulted a whale.
    Also, the shape of animal #3 I thought on the wall, but it resulted to be on the shape of rock entrance.

Also, fish generally doesn't make sound, so how it is possible that in Myst fish makes sound?

Thanks,
    Eduard.

Also, fish generally doesn't make sound, so how it is possible that in Myst fish makes sound?
    Humm, maybe you did not go to school long enough.

Have a look at this web page...
    http://core.ecu.edu/BIOL/luczkovichj...ish_sounds.htm

Or listen to these two...
    http://www.dosits.org/gallery/mp3/seacat.mp3

http://www.dosits.org/gallery/mp3/toadfish.mp3

That is why the ball on Gehn's desk did NOT make a sound when you moved it. In Myst, fish do not make sounds either!