I created my own mission with two large fleets, and it was a sight to see.

I had two Bismarks (the Bismark and the Tripitz I suppose), Two Hipper heavy cruisers, about 7 Type 34s, and even a Commerce Raider (hey...guns are guns), and I put them up against a King George, a Nelson, and a Revenge, about 10 or so other destroyers, some corvettes, a couple of cruisers, and 3 passenger liners (which apparently have guns in 1944 ).

Battle actually seems pretty even. The 380 mm guns on the Bismarck are a sight to see :P

Oh, and battleships can take a beating. The King George was pretty much completely black on its starboard side, but was still shooting back.

I created my own mission with two large fleets, and it was a sight to see.

I had two Bismarks (the Bismark and the Tripitz I suppose), Two Hipper heavy cruisers, about 7 Type 34s, and even a Commerce Raider (hey...guns are guns), and I put them up against a King George, a Nelson, and a Revenge, about 10 or so other destroyers, some corvettes, a couple of cruisers, and 3 passenger liners (which apparently have guns in 1944 ).

Battle actually seems pretty even. The 380 mm guns on the Bismarck are a sight to see :P

Oh, and battleships can take a beating. The King George was pretty much completely black on its starboard side, but was still shooting back.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Try making that battle at night

I just set up a small one, a king george V and two cruisers vs the bismarck and two cruisers. This shot is after two british cruisers have been sunk and one german cruiser heavily damaged:

What surprised me though was how horribly innacurate the ships were at only 4,000 meters. They could shoot at the very least 4 times that distance accurately. Probably needs to be tweaked a bit, but if there was a way to get them to use their main guns only that could give us some interesting results...

Aviar's Avatar Senior Member
    "What surprised me though was how horribly innacurate the ships were at only 4,000 meters. They could shoot at the very least 4 times that distance accurately. Probably needs to be tweaked a bit, but if there was a way to get them to use their main guns only that could give us some interesting results..."

What was the crew rating? If you set it to Elite, they're pretty good.

Aviar

I just realized that myself, thers a huge difference from veteran to elite. And of course i also halved the distance to around 2000 meters. Whats weird though is that the germans can never seem to win. They have three bismarck battleships and two admiral hipper cruisers but two revenge battleships and a nelson can almost always beat them. The thing that annoys me most about the british ships is their tanacity. I saw all the guns blazing on a revenge once when the water was almost covering all the secondary guns on the side, and the side was completely black from shell hits.

Wow, weirdest one yet. I took out the german cruisers so it was 3 vs 3 battleship slugfest, and it came down to one revenge battleship and three bismarcks, but somehow that one ship finished off two bismarcks, then the last bismarck finished off the revenge but then it sank a couple seconds after! Nothing left but me...

Please alanschu can you upload your mission so we can download it and give a try? Thanks!
    (maybe you can send it via email?)

yes if you ask me the bismarck should be much more powerful -

This is part of what irks me about silent hunter III - i dont know whether a sub really was limited to about 8km visibility in good weather, but in WWII battleships regularly spotted from 25km and could engage from 20km with relative accuracy.
    Under 10km was considered very close.

I wonder why i can never see anywhere near that far - pity, would have been great to see two going at it!

For some reason the ships wont engage each other further than 5,000 meters in perfect weather, even battleships. They point their guns at each other but just wont fire.