🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    sings_in_tune's Avatar Moderator
    Southern Ontario, ...................... Canada
    I registered for the beta, but now I see I'd have to buy a new pc, this one has a pentium processor.

Hard to figure out what they are licensing for this product.

I'm guessing no backing tracks of original performances, no transcriptions of particular performances, no original vocals. If it's anything like the other online learning catalogs I've seen it's basically elevator music backing tracks, printed lyrics and tab with midi type generated backing.

And the fact that YOU, can upload your versions of the licensed songs basically means you will be paying $99 to do THEIR job for them. Much like the listings on the "unmentionable sites" the uploads will probably be rated by users. I'm guessing every week they will provide a few professionally transcribed songs.

Sounds like the same kind of licensing used by "song books" .... when you buy a guitar tab book of the "best of the 70's" they have paid for the TAB, the text lyrics, sometimes the keyboard music.

So they probably cut a deal with one of the big catalog owners, Sony or someone like that, cause all those TAB/lyrics can be found in music stores all over the place.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by dataway Go to original post
    Hard to figure out what they are licensing for this product.

I'm guessing no backing tracks of original performances, no transcriptions of particular performances, no original vocals. If it's anything like the other online learning catalogs I've seen it's basically elevator music backing tracks, printed lyrics and tab with midi type generated backing.

And the fact that YOU, can upload your versions of the licensed songs basically means you will be paying $99 to do THEIR job for them. Much like the listings on the "unmentionable sites" the uploads will probably be rated by users. I'm guessing every week they will provide a few professionally transcribed songs.

Sounds like the same kind of licensing used by "song books" .... when you buy a guitar tab book of the "best of the 70's" they have paid for the TAB, the text lyrics, sometimes the keyboard music.

So they probably cut a deal with one of the big catalog owners, Sony or someone like that, cause all those TAB/lyrics can be found in music stores all over the place.
    All the songs are the original recordings of the original artists just like now.

There are Ubisoft fully transcribed songs just like in RS2014 only many more to start with and many more being released on a weekly basis.

In addition there will be computer generated chord charts that are then human checked by Ubisoft.

In addition there will be User Generated Content (UGC) which are transcriptions created by us, the users. These are limited to the songs Ubisoft has a license for.

You are right in that they are licensing more by the catalog than by individual songs. This means instead of 1500+ licensed songs think millions of licensed songs.
     2 people found this helpful

toreyj01's Avatar Member
    Well, to me this is a great thing. Still planning on using my PS4 for Rocksmith, but I typically only downloaded a pack or two a month when things were going good. In the last year of Remastered we saw a dearth of new content, lots of it Pop, and nothing more than a 3 pack. Even then I spent more than 9 dollars a month.

Now I can access every song from the previous iteration and tons more for less than what I spent before? Sounds good.

Now I can learn tabulature instead of just a note highway that has no use in the real world? Sounds good. After doing this for a year or two I can literally buy a Guitar tab book and be able to play songs just like any other Guitarist. Sounds good.

The Riff Repeater looks way better. You can literally set it so it doesn't advance until you hit the note correct. I can finally start learning how to do solos. Sounds awesome.

Tons of instruction videos? Sounds great.

Content tailored to your level of expertise with feedback about your level of skill and how to improve? Yes, please.

And the potential to learn thousands of new songs, from a wide variety of genres? Man, I hope punk is one of them.

For less than 9 bucks a month if you prepay for a year? Man, that is a bargain.

So into this. But opinions may differ. I learned how to play my first musical instrument with Rocksmith at the age of 46, ten years ago. I am a fairly decent player now but I am just good inside the game. This iteration is going to give me the skills to really advance, to really learn music the same as any other guitarist, to read tablature and to learn how to solo. This iteration can't get here soon enough for me, totally pumped.
     3 people found this helpful

“Now I can access every song from the previous iteration “

These are all new licenses so individual prior songs may or may not be included.

OldManRico's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by toreyj01 Go to original post
    ten years ago
    We didn't get it in the UK until late 2012, but man yeah I hadn't realised it was so long ago!

Sad to say that more than 8 years on, I'm still only mediocre on the bass. =) I need a return of the weekly song challenges!
     2 people found this helpful

If what JohnNewton says is true it will easily be worth the money to me.

But ... something must be different, I seriously doubt they are getting a set of master tapes for each one of these songs like they did with RS and working with individual tracks. Of course technology has come a ways since the original RS so perhaps that is no longer needed. Did Ubi front them millions of dollars to buy blanket access to catalogs ... possible.

If you are telling me that it's RS14 just more and better, I'm in for sure. I like the tab scrolling .... would have rather scene actual musical notation scrolling, but TAB is a step in the right direction.

Corporate bean counters like predictable income, subscription services provided that. In RS14 how do you explain to the board that ... jeez, revenues are low this month, we released some duds .... with a subscription service you have a steady predictable revenue stream, easy to track, easier to predict, easier to manage than micro purchases on a weekly basis.

If it truly provides the RS14 experience, and I have thousands of popular songs to choose from, it will be hard to say no.
     3 people found this helpful