MJP008's Avatar Junior Member
    Originally Posted by pedietz Go to original post
    Would you be happy with a product called BandSmith that had new drums, keys, and vocals parts?

And what if the dlc was $4.99 a song, because well there are 6 parts to a song now?

And instead of 3 new DLC songs a week, it ends up being 5 new songs a month?

All of that extra work and extra transcribing will have a cost.
    I would be very happy with that!

pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    I think itd be a huge failure if they only released one 5 pack of DLC a month.

For RS2014 Ubisoft released 12-15 new DLC every month, and people would scrutinize them so hard and only buy 1 or 2 if any.

Complain about good artist but bad song. Wrong genre. Not relevant. Only wanting to focus on songs they can play in their bar band. Too expensive etc.

They'd have to release the same 12-15 songs a month and that would be doubling or tripling transcribers.

Danny-Ramone's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by pedietz Go to original post
    I think itd be a huge failure if they only released one 5 pack of DLC a month.

For RS2014 Ubisoft released 12-15 new DLC every month, and people would scrutinize them so hard and only buy 1 or 2 if any.

Complain about good artist but bad song. Wrong genre. Not relevant. Only wanting to focus on songs they can play in their bar band. Too expensive etc.

They'd have to release the same 12-15 songs a month and that would be doubling or tripling transcribers.
    Which begs the question: would they start from scratch (and re-release RS 2014 DLC) with added instruments, or would they continue releasing (just) new DLC (and mybe import RS 2014 DLC).

Complaints about the quality of the DLC were rife in the months before they stopped, and personally, I think much of the low-hanging fruit has already been picked, so I see a possible issue here. There simply may not be that much interesting DLC left.

Unless they choose another option - like starting from scratch on a subscription model.

Either way: I'm not sure if I'm gonna like what they come up with...

I'm wondering if they are going in a different direction as far as the transcription .... a more universal approach, ALL of the music anyone wants, is already out there in sheet music form, they license the sheet music like many music book publishers do, convert to RS style graphic form, do away with the backing track of the original recording and they won't have to license that. Maybe generic backing tracks based on the sheet music, no vocals. The licensing ... which has been a big problem as far as offering all the artists people want, would be way easier since all the sheet music is already out there licensed for use in many song books. Transcribers job would be adapting that sheet music to an RS presentation, and adding their own knowledge of the techniques used to the mix.

I think the big problem with the original RS licensing plan was getting the original tracks licensed for use in the game. I'm not that concerned with playing something exactly the same way as "fill in the blank" did back in whatever year, at whatever venue .... I just want to know how to play the song. If they based things off the sheet music then basically every song you've ever heard would be readily available for licensing. And the sheet music is typically available for pretty much ANY instrument, including vocal cords

"There simply may not be that much interesting DLC left."

So they released 1500+ songs before stopping last year. There are many MILLIONS of songs in the world. Those two numbers are very far apart.
     3 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by dataway Go to original post
    I think the big problem with the original RS licensing plan was getting the original tracks licensed for use in the game. I'm not that concerned with playing something exactly the same way as "fill in the blank" did back in whatever year, at whatever venue .... I just want to know how to play the song. If they based things off the sheet music then basically every song you've ever heard would be readily available for licensing. And the sheet music is typically available for pretty much ANY instrument, including vocal cords
    I'm not a licensing expert but I don't think sheet music licensing would apply to the use in a music software program. They need to license things specifically for this type of use. I suppose if they didn't use the original recording it would remove the recording use part of the licensing but I think a lot of the appeal to many people is hearing the original performance.

Danny-Ramone's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton Go to original post
    "There simply may not be that much interesting DLC left."

So they released 1500+ songs before stopping last year. There are many MILLIONS of songs in the world. Those two numbers are very far apart.
    Yes, hence my use of the qualifier 'interesting'. There isn't an infinite (or even millions) number of songs that people are willing to purchase for the purpose of a guitar learning game. The A (and B) list of artists that are willing to licence their music is slowly getting exhausted, and fewer people will be interested in the C,D, and E lists.

This (assuming we are indeed getting a continuation of RS), to me, suggests that Ubisoft needs to either attract a new audience to sell the existing DLC to, or they need to repackage the existing DLC to make it interesting enough for the current audience to purchase it again. Or they somehow blur the lines.

I don't know what they're up to. They may hit the ball out of the park by coming up with something completely new and revolutionary, but as things stand, I think that having a back catalogue of 1,500 DLC tracks may be a bit of a hindrance. So, I'm not really expecting to just load my current DLC into a new version of RS. We'll see though ...

Yep who knows how the licensing works ... most music books obviously have a license to print it, but I would suspect it would take some other kind of license to include it in software, but, I bet the biggie is the original tracks ... from what I've read the RS guys post they actually get a set of master tapes to work from, that's got to be pretty expensive. Sheet music might just be a tack on license to cover software too. I've got a strong feeling the original tracks are no longer going to be included in all the DLC except where they can get the license very easily from new bands that want the exposure etc.

I also don't expect the old DLC to work in the new program .... what little information we have gotten about the new product seemed to be worded in such a way that would distance it from the RS product line.

I'm really really hoping for some information on the anniversary of the end of RS14 DLC.

pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    The song writer always gets paid.

That's prolly why we have so many repeats in the game (Lady Gaga Bad Romance vs Halestorms , etc.)

The channel to pay the songwriter is already established.

Some lawyer called the song writer and said, "we're going to pay you double now" And so they immediately agree and signoff.

I'm expecting us to be able to use our audio interfaces as yousician has this feature and it's very simple to set up, I'm also expecting a create your own song section,as yousician had this feature but took it from the programme,you could create your own song and you could import tabs from guitar pro as well,And I'm more than confident that Rocksmith will be subscription based as Yousician charge £19.99 a month or £25.99 for premium+ so I assume rocksmith will be £10-30 per month,so that would pay for licencing ect. And hopefully get alot more labels on board,also they may have a recording option as well but would have to make it available for console users so that would be interesting,also a tone central section is likely to be in the game where everyone can share tones ect. and I would like the ubisoft/rocksmith premium+ section to be lessons based and maybe team up with udemy,and be able to play along with the instructor in the game,that alone would be worth paying for and proper theory based lessons so you could learn all modes ect. I could go on lol But I've got loads of other ideas and there's tons of stuff they can do tbh so hopefully the wait is worth it 🙂
     2 people found this helpful