A dearth of information always leads to speculation and fanciful ideas. Easy enough to set us straight with a little info from on high.
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by dataway Go to original post
    A dearth of information always leads to speculation and fanciful ideas. Easy enough to set us straight with a little info from on high.
    Do you really think that would put an end to speculation and fanciful ideas?
     2 people found this helpful

I hope not. I like wild speculation and fanciful ideas.
     1 people found this helpful

Also, for the record, I can not be set straight.

A horrible thought just occurred to me. Imagine if RS went to a cloud based platform like so many other apps and software have done. Some kind of web based app where you didn't actually download the songs to your PC/Console but accessed them from Ubi servers every time you played. Perhaps charging for the time you are connected to the server rather than paying for a song and playing it as much as you want.

Think about it, now, when you DL a song for a given price, you can play it a thousand times and Ubi makes no more money than if they sold you a song you played five times. With a cloud based system they could pay WAY more for the rights to very popular songs because they could charge for the play time. Way better business model when you think about it. Can't have a guy paying $5 for a song and playing it hundreds of times without any additional income for Ubi, that would be too good a deal for the consumer.

Way easier updates for them, rather than pushing updates to everyone's PC they just update the servers. Could probably be a cross platform app that didn't need different versions for every platform. The servers could easily have different "versions" for different skill levels, instruments etc.

I got a bad feeling about this.

pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    I just learned about guitartricks. https://www.guitartricks.com/

$179 / year ($99 is you sign up for auto renew).

And 1000s of songs, riffs, and trainers.

But only guitar, no bass.

Interesting, RS better get on the ball, there are more options everyday.

Danny-Ramone's Avatar Senior Member
    A horrible thought just occurred to me. Imagine if RS went to a cloud based platform like so many other apps and software have done. Some kind of web based app where you didn't actually download the songs to your PC/Console but accessed them from Ubi servers every time you played. Perhaps charging for the time you are connected to the server rather than paying for a song and playing it as much as you want.

Think about it, now, when you DL a song for a given price, you can play it a thousand times and Ubi makes no more money than if they sold you a song you played five times. With a cloud based system they could pay WAY more for the rights to very popular songs because they could charge for the play time. Way better business model when you think about it. Can't have a guy paying $5 for a song and playing it hundreds of times without any additional income for Ubi, that would be too good a deal for the consumer.

Way easier updates for them, rather than pushing updates to everyone's PC they just update the servers. Could probably be a cross platform app that didn't need different versions for every platform. The servers could easily have different "versions" for different skill levels, instruments etc.

Yeah. Like the Ubi serverse are ever available

I totally not see that option happening.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    Interesting, RS better get on the ball, there are more options everyday.
    Yeah, there's more options to learn guitar, but there isn't another gamification experience like Rocksmith so it's not really a valid comparison unless we are talking about Yousician which... No thanks.

Could definitely see it being a subscription model (I.e. 9.99 a month) but can’t see it being a pay as you play model. Netflix/Spotify etc. would be using this if it worked. Customers don’t want to be thinking about how many minutes/hours of content they’ve consumed and how much it’s costing them, it becomes a barrier that stifles engagement.