Hugo-FOU's Avatar Senior Member

Solving the Drone Problem

The trailer had it right, ‘like anyone would wanna fight the damn things.’

We still don’t. So how about giving us a way to disable them once and for all.

The key could lay in other drones. Namely the Behemoths.

At present the the Behemoths guard, essentially, nothing. ‘Hey, wait! Don’t they guard blueprints.’ Well yes. But from the perspective of something that actually makes sense in the game world, they guard nothing. They all just patrol around a tower that at present has no purpose.

I think there are a number of ways they can make these towers relevant and give us a way to solve the drone problem. Make the towers drone control points for each region. Disable the towers and to some degree disable the drones.

For me they could add three menu options to account for people’s personal preferences. For both the next two choices, this would be a temporary measure with an optional duration, (6 to 24 game hours or so).

The Short Hack

Dodge or destroy the Behemoth and hack the tower, causing the drones to ignore Nomad as long as they are not in an alerted state.

The Long Hack

Destroy the Behemoth and complete a detailed hack of the tower that causes all drones in that region to ignore Nomad even in an alerted state.

Sabotage (For those that want the drones gone for good.)

Dodge or destroy the Behemoth then destroy the control tower with a number of well placed C4 charges, to permanently shut all autonomous drones down in that sector.

I have specified ‘autonomous’ as I think WASP drones could remain, since they are controlled by a person.
     18 people found this helpful

Your suggestion is awesome. I'd love to see this idea added to the game. Nice thinking Hugo.

I love this, I would imagine it would be hard to implement so here's my quick fire solution to add to this, reduce the speed of all drones by 50% or more, and you'll fix a good bit of the issues.
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Icetyger4 Go to original post
    Your suggestion is awesome. I'd love to see this idea added to the game. Nice thinking Hugo.

Originally Posted by Stomp0nMybaIls Go to original post
    I love this, I would imagine it would be hard to implement so here's my quick fire solution to add to this, reduce the speed of all drones by 50% or more, and you'll fix a good bit of the issues.
    Great idea. An additional drone tower hack could instead reduce speed by:- options 25%, 50%, 75%.

I’m not sure how difficult it would be to implement some of the ideas. I would have thought they could just piggyback the ‘cloaking spray’ system.

Originally Posted by Hugo-FOU Go to original post

Great idea. An additional drone tower hack could instead reduce speed by:- options 25%, 50%, 75%.

I’m not sure how difficult it would be to implement some of the ideas. I would have thought they could just piggyback the ‘cloaking spray’ system.
    I'd assume you'd have to make a system that doesnt spawn Drones in bases for some players, but does for others, and managing a spawning system like this that is dynamic and not mission based I imagine would be a nightmare, and then on top of that rerespawning them when the timer ends (at least with the sabotage option).

The trailer had it right, ‘like anyone would wanna fight the damn things.’

We still don’t. So how about giving us a way to disable them once and for all.

The key could lay in other drones. Namely the Behemoths.

At present the the Behemoths guard, essentially, nothing. ‘Hey, wait! Don’t they guard blueprints.’ Well yes. But from the perspective of something that actually makes sense in the game world, they guard nothing. They all just patrol around a tower that at present has no purpose.

I think there are a number of ways they can make these towers relevant and give us a way to solve the drone problem. Make the towers drone control points for each region. Disable the towers and to some degree disable the drones.

For me they could add three menu options to account for people’s personal preferences. For both the next two choices, this would be a temporary measure with an optional duration, (6 to 24 game hours or so).

The Short Hack

Dodge or destroy the Behemoth and hack the tower, causing the drones to ignore Nomad as long as they are not in an alerted state.

The Long Hack

Destroy the Behemoth and complete a detailed hack of the tower that causes all drones in that region to ignore Nomad even in an alerted state.

Sabotage (For those that want the drones gone for good.)

Dodge or destroy the Behemoth then destroy the control tower with a number of well placed C4 charges, to permanently shut all autonomous drones down in that sector.

I have specified ‘autonomous’ as I think WASP drones could remain, since they are controlled by a person.
     4 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Stomp0nMybaIls Go to original post
    I'd assume you'd have to make a system that doesnt spawn Drones in bases for some players, but does for others, and managing a spawning system like this that is dynamic and not mission based I imagine would be a nightmare, and then on top of that rerespawning them when the timer ends (at least with the sabotage option).
    I can see how that could be difficult.

So how about the sabotage option is just a permanent version of the long hack? All the drones remain but ignore the player. The player essentially has the cloaking spray buff applied permanently, whilst in that region.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by SaviorBasedGod Go to original post

That old man looks pretty serious. Ubisoft, you'd best do what he says, before he gets upset.

I can see how that could be difficult.

So how about the sabotage option is just a permanent version of the long hack? All the drones remain but ignore the player. The player essentially has the cloaking spray buff applied permanently, whilst in that region.
    To play devil's advocate that would essentially make panther redundant which is what I'm assuming the gameplay designer wouldn't want, I would say the main issue is making the drones actually fun to fight against, or at the very least fair to fight against, something that makes our gameplay more challenging and thought provoking, but not breaking it in the process.

Good suggestions.

Although the Behemoths are pretty much irrelevant and not really a nuisance, since you don't have to fight them after you get the blueprint. And even for retrieving the blueprint you can use the panther spray and make a run for it.

The real problem lies with the other drones in the various bases that make stealth impossible IMO

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►