1. #31
    ....did Sam literally just say "Snake Eater"?

    How many times are you gonna bring up Metal Gear? You think if you reference it enough, your game will be half as good as one made half a decade ago?
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  2. #32
    As someone who doesn't play Ghost Recon (too much action for me), I'm just going to enjoy hearing "Sam". It's bittersweet, but I'm not going to fault them for trying.

    If every attempt they make gets shot down, they're going to stop, and that would be a shame. Constructive criticism is fine, as it's always been, but I'd rather be encouraging and hope that they figure out a way to make another real Splinter Cell. It's been too long.
    Share this post

  3. #33
    LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,302
    Sorry CoastalGirl but there are good ways to try. What they're doing here deserves our criticism because it's disappointing in all aspects, and it seems like they're using Splinter Cell to make some advertisement to Ghost Recon Breakpoint in order to sell more season pass, skins and stuff like that.
    And if they plan to continue in the same way then I'd rather see them stop now, it would be way better than destroying even more this franchise which already suffered a lot.

    The shame is not if they stop one day, the shame is already here and it is what they're doing right now. And I don't believe them one second when they say that they don't make a new game because they're scared to disappoint fans. If they were really scared, they wouldn't release a DLC like that. Those are only lies they're using to try to hide their incompetence.
    We have posted tons and tons of ideas and constructive criticism since many years and they never wanted to hear us, or very little. And I'm sure we're still all ready to deliver constructive criticism again and again but the fact is that we don't do it anymore because we don't feel like Ubisoft cares.

    And we all appreciate to hear Michael Ironside but bringing him back as Sam is not enough to make Splinter Cell as good and attractive as it was, the franchise needs way more than that.
    And if Ubisoft thinks that or believes that Blacklist did low sales only because Ironside wasn't in the game then they would be wrong (again). I'm only making an assumption here but I wouldn't be surprised if someday we read or hear that in an interview...
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  4. #34
    Tom Clancy games is truly dead folks. We got incompetent devs at the helm and sheep gamers are eating up whatever creations they put out. Look at the comments, people are excited to play this trash. But what do I know, I'm just some oldcel that can't 'get with the times'.

    Forget a new Splinter Cell. Like what Capcom did with Resident Evil 2 remake, Give us Splinter SAR, Pandora Tomorrow and Cell Chaos Theory remake with Spies vs Mercs. I'll pay $100 for it all.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  5. #35
    Originally Posted by LuckyBide Go to original post
    Sorry CoastalGirl but there are good ways to try. What they're doing here deserves our criticism because it's disappointing in all aspects, and it seems like they're using Splinter Cell to make some advertisement to Ghost Recon Breakpoint in order to sell more season pass, skins and stuff like that.
    I get that - I have years of frustration with some aspects, too. That said...I remember back when Conviction was first revealed - full-on Hobo Sam blowing up hotdog vendors - and for the most part, as a community we were pretty, um, not cool with it. We talked about it endlessly, and what did Ubisoft do? They disappeared. For YEARS. They remade the entire thing, scrapped a lot of work from a lot of people (which honestly I still feel bad about), but ultimately the redo gave us a game that felt, to me at least, closer to Splinter Cell. It was missing a lot and I had big issues with Sam's behavior, but they tried. Yeah, that was years ago now and I don't know who's still involved and in what capacity, but that incident was significant.

    And if they plan to continue in the same way then I'd rather see them stop now, it would be way better than destroying even more this franchise which already suffered a lot.
    I wish I knew what the higher-ups needed from the franchise. If they're insistent that the game be more accessible, then yeah, however well made the game is it's probably going to disappoint the stealth community. It might be the best "stealth" game of the year, but we'll still be critical because we know what they're capable of producing. If they wanted to, I'm sure they still could wow us, but I don't think it fits with their current development model.

    I'd love for them to give it to a small, dedicated team, but I doubt it would happen.

    The shame is not if they stop one day, the shame is already here and it is what they're doing right now. And I don't believe them one second when they say that they don't make a new game because they're scared to disappoint fans. If they were really scared, they wouldn't release a DLC like that. Those are only lies they're using to try to hide their incompetence.
    I actually do believe it, though. I think some of the negative reactions came as a genuine surprise to them, and the danger now is that some might think we're impossible to please.

    We have posted tons and tons of ideas and constructive criticism since many years and they never wanted to hear us, or very little. And I'm sure we're still all ready to deliver constructive criticism again and again but the fact is that we don't do it anymore because we don't feel like Ubisoft cares.
    You never know who's still around, or who might be watching...

    Yes, we're in currently in hibernation mode, but I don't want to give up on it. They have a lot of talented developers at Ubisoft, and hey, Clint's back...


    ETA: I'm also all for remaking the early games, too. I played the remade Spyro trilogy (that was my gaming life before I met the stealth genre, don't judge! lol) and loved it. So much nostalgia... If they remade the SCs on Unreal 4 and added a level editor I'd be in heaven.
    Share this post

  6. #36
    LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,302
    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    I get that - I have years of frustration with some aspects, too. That said...I remember back when Conviction was first revealed - full-on Hobo Sam blowing up hotdog vendors - and for the most part, as a community we were pretty, um, not cool with it. We talked about it endlessly, and what did Ubisoft do? They disappeared. For YEARS. They remade the entire thing, scrapped a lot of work from a lot of people (which honestly I still feel bad about), but ultimately the redo gave us a game that felt, to me at least, closer to Splinter Cell. It was missing a lot and I had big issues with Sam's behavior, but they tried. Yeah, that was years ago now and I don't know who's still involved and in what capacity, but that incident was significant.
    I wasn't on these forums back then but I read that a lot. We'll never know if the first version of Conviction was that bad so maybe fans back then complained way too soon. But the situation is totally different now, a lot of things have changed. And a lot of fans complain about the fact that there's still no news except some events in other games that don't even pay a proper tribute Splinter Cell, especially during the month of the 15th anniversary of Chaos Theory.
    I understand that Ubisoft may have lost themselves and don't know what to do anymore with the franchise but we've always been here to talk, even if sometimes we talk too much, too loud and have dreams and ideas for the game that cannot be fulfilled.


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    I wish I knew what the higher-ups needed from the franchise. If they're insistent that the game be more accessible, then yeah, however well made the game is it's probably going to disappoint the stealth community. It might be the best "stealth" game of the year, but we'll still be critical because we know what they're capable of producing. If they wanted to, I'm sure they still could wow us, but I don't think it fits with their current development model.

    I'd love for them to give it to a small, dedicated team, but I doubt it would happen.
    I wish they could read you, that's what we all hope.
    However one of the main sources of the problem comes from declaration like that: https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthrea...-Shorter-Games
    It is sad, and like I said in that thread, risky for them to only make huge open worlds. And not only for Splinter Cell but for many other franchises.
    I hoped that the backlash they had with Breakpoint last october made them reconsider statements like that. A rumor said that they reorganized their way of working but they're not sending a good signal with that new DLC, at least for me.
    Or maybe we'll have to wait way more longer to see the first results of that new reorganization, I don't know.
    Because as you say they can still wow us because they have the resources, even if the last time that Ubisoft wowed me was a long long time ago.


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    I actually do believe it, though. I think some of the negative reactions came as a genuine surprise to them, and the danger now is that some might think we're impossible to please.
    I wonder at first place if they really care about what hardcore Splinter Cell fans like us may think. I mean we're not a lot and we don't represent the majority of nowadays players.
    Otherwise I think that they know where to find us to read our arguments and constructive criticism, I'm sure everybody here would love to have someone from Ubisoft discussing here with us even for an hour or two. Talking always helps to dispel negativity, mistrust and the unanswered questions we might have, in every occasion ^^


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    You never know who's still around, or who might be watching...

    Yes, we're in currently in hibernation mode, but I don't want to give up on it. They have a lot of talented developers at Ubisoft, and hey, Clint's back...

    Yeah who knows who might be watching ^^
    I know that they have a lot of talented developers. I said in my last post that they were hiding their incompetence but I was not mainly talking about developers. Maybe some of them are like in every job, I worked myself in positions where I felt incompetent. But I think (and we can see it) that incompetence comes first from the higher-ups. I know that being developer is a hard job and that you cannot do whatever you want and you sometimes don't have the time to create the things you'd want.
    But hopefully they're just waiting for Clint Hocking to decide to work again on Splinter Cell once he'll finish directing Watch Dogs Legion development...
    Share this post

  7. #37
    yeah - I've just concluded that Ubisoft across the board most likely has the wrong team of people working there. I imagine a team of younger hipster social justice warrior types, because I see way too much immaturity in the narrative and stylistic content of all of their recent products...yet, a high amount of technical sophistication. They have a capable team as far as being able to gracefully build complex engaging systems, but their stories and scenarios and stylistic choices just scream immaturity. Everything from clothing, to personalities, to the language content, etc. It's like the child piano prodigy who can play with formidable technical proficiency and yet has absolutely no soul for music. They clearly don't understand the Tom Clancy brand, or frankly even the customers. A good stealth game will sell despite their fears.
     3 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  8. #38
    Knot3D's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,197
    Yeah...I watched Centerstrain01 play this and some other streamers as well.

    The "stealth kills" with the knife look very clumsy.
    The usage of the CT soundtrack feels very tacked on; just lazy blasphemy.

    Although I agree the facial texture for the Sam Fisher model looks bad, I think the overall character model silhouette looks pretty good though.
    But yeah, ultimately...this screams lazy cash-grab, squandering the Splinter Cell IP in the most shameless manner.

    So there was this rumor that Sony is trying to buy the Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill rights from that other squander-wonder publisher; Konami.
    I dunno, if they or MS could do that for SC, buying it from Ubi......
     3 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  9. #39
    Originally Posted by Knot3D Go to original post
    Yeah...I watched Centerstrain01 play this and some other streamers as well.

    The "stealth kills" with the knife look very clumsy.
    The usage of the CT soundtrack feels very tacked on; just lazy blasphemy.

    Although I agree the facial texture for the Sam Fisher model looks bad, I think the overall character model silhouette looks pretty good though.
    But yeah, ultimately...this screams lazy cash-grab, squandering the Splinter Cell IP in the most shameless manner.

    So there was this rumor that Sony is trying to buy the Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill rights from that other squander-wonder publisher; Konami.
    I dunno, if they or MS could do that for SC, buying it from Ubi......
    Sony buying the title would be great. Sony gives developers freedom of choice for most games.

    That said, I highly doubt Ubisoft sell the franchise. They'd rather see it die than someone make a good Splinter Cell game
    Share this post

Page 4 of 4 ◄◄  First ... 234