MartynQ's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by rabbitts Go to original post
    I meant to post this earlier....I really hope everyone is doing ok...especially the folks across both ponds.

Sorry about your holiday, MartynQ I'll be spending my spring break putting my classes online so I can sympathize a bit. Hopefully the world will go back to normal soon....
    Thanks! I'm obviously not the only one who has a holiday suddently cancelled, so this is just a fact of where the world currently is.

I'm also starting to think about switching to online teaching. Although I'm having a week off work, my mind is definitely starting to think about how on earth I will implement this. My current thoughts are that I need to invest in some sort of webcam thing to use to record what I write on a pad of paper (instead of being able to use the whiteboard as I usually do).

HSA 303,613 | 92.2%| 83 NS | Ghost - Ciris, alt lead

Oops, I forgot to submit. If you haven't drawn yet, I hope you'll accept a late addition.

These are special times. But don't notice much of apart from having lectures online and writing exams from home.
    And of course, being slightly paranoid every-time someone coughs.

rabbitts's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by MartynQ Go to original post
    I'm also starting to think about switching to online teaching. Although I'm having a week off work, my mind is definitely starting to think about how on earth I will implement this. My current thoughts are that I need to invest in some sort of webcam thing to use to record what I write on a pad of paper (instead of being able to use the whiteboard as I usually do).
    Do you have access to sites like Blackboard thru your work? They can make posting info a lot easier. Like you, I don't have a webcam (and I don't think I'd like using one for teaching), so I'm just typing up notes and what not....but there are so many things that don't transfer well to an online format. Sadly, I think students will end up paying the price....

(kami-kun -- do you feel like you're missing out by having online lectures?)

Final Tally - Next Song selection

Here's the final tally for the challenge:

RollingStone222 - HSA 1,525,047 | 99.04% | 284 NS
    MartynQ - HSA 1,460,623 | 290 ns | 98.66%
    SkyMoose - HSA 856,967 | 95.04% | 147 NS
    rabbitts - HSA 219,842 | 92.38% | 75NS
    kami-kun - HSA 303,613 | 92.2%| 83 NS
    sings_in_tune - MSA 342,347 | 95.95% | 90 NS
    maghostus - MSA 88,798 | 90.07% | 52 ns
    Z1ronJones - MSA 71,369 | 87.86% | 40 ns |

Good job all!

Here are the candidates for next song:
    1. Toto - Hold the Line (L)
    2. Disturbed - Voices (Lead) (I guess Down with the Sickness wouldn't be the best pick these days )
    3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground (RHYTHM)
    4. Soul Asylum - Runaway Train (Lead)
    5. Ghost - Cirice (Lead)
    6. Ghost - Ciris, alt lead

And the random # generator says...5

So our next challenge song will be Ghost - Cirice (Lead).

Do you have access to sites like Blackboard thru your work? They can make posting info a lot easier. Like you, I don't have a webcam (and I don't think I'd like using one for teaching), so I'm just typing up notes and what not....but there are so many things that don't transfer well to an online format. Sadly, I think students will end up paying the price....
    Yes, we've got Moodle and also an in-house system for course management, so posting documents for students is no problem. My lecture notes are in pretty good shape - it's only the last section of the course that isn't completely written. The issue from my perspective is that I think students get a far worse deal just reading the text than having it explained to them. If I can do something resembling lectures that would be better. We use Panopto to record lectures, but having something where I can step through the material would help, so I'm exploring options to replicate a document camera at home.

I have discovered there are apps to turn my iPod touch into a webcam-like object. This might be the solution I'm after... much experimenting due. At least we are in a two-week break in teaching as we start preparing for the "new normal".

Originally Posted by MartynQ Go to original post
    Yes, we've got Moodle and also an in-house system for course management, so posting documents for students is no problem. My lecture notes are in pretty good shape - it's only the last section of the course that isn't completely written. The issue from my perspective is that I think students get a far worse deal just reading the text than having it explained to them. If I can do something resembling lectures that would be better. We use Panopto to record lectures, but having something where I can step through the material would help, so I'm exploring options to replicate a document camera at home.

I have discovered there are apps to turn my iPod touch into a webcam-like object. This might be the solution I'm after... much experimenting due. At least we are in a two-week break in teaching as we start preparing for the "new normal".
    I like the Moodle interface -- but I hear you on the explanations and trying to replicate some kind of "in-person" exchange. They haven't cancelled us yet and our campus is technically open even though we're on a one week Spring Break because...'Merica. I like your idea of the doc viewer -- maybe I can "borrow" one while we're still open -- but it's hard to know what to prepare for when administration still has its head in the sand....

My university is using an app called zoom meeting, which is free and has worked quite well. The lecturer shows slides and what not at the same time as they speak and explain.

As I student, I enjoy the lectures where I can print out teacher notes before the lectures went then write my own comments on them.

Interesting...I just received a link to Zoom meeting from my work...I'll have to check it out. You can use it on your phone, right?

Yup, phone, android, apple, desktop, mac os, works on everything. Guess that's some of the appeal

I like the Moodle interface -- but I hear you on the explanations and trying to replicate some kind of "in-person" exchange. They haven't cancelled us yet and our campus is technically open even though we're on a one week Spring Break because...'Merica. I like your idea of the doc viewer -- maybe I can "borrow" one while we're still open -- but it's hard to know what to prepare for when administration still has its head in the sand....
    My institution has been starting to talk about switching to online teaching for a few weeks, but the final decision was dependent upon how things worked out. I expected the switch to come, but it seems that every new step comes just a bit earlier than one can anticipate. I expect that I will be working from home pretty much from next week onwards and will have to resort to online communication for everything.

I gather that one colleague has managed to set up a tablet as a document camera, so that looks like what I shall try to emulate. The system we use to record lectures - Panopto - seems actually quite similar to OBS, so I think my background using it a tiny bit for Rocksmith will help.

Originally Posted by kami-kun Go to original post
    My university is using an app called zoom meeting, which is free and has worked quite well. The lecturer shows slides and what not at the same time as they speak and explain.

As I student, I enjoy the lectures where I can print out teacher notes before the lectures went then write my own comments on them.
    I've used Zoom once - it was instead of Skyping someone who worked in something related to the publication of a journal that I'm editor for. It seemed quite similar, and also quite similar to Microsoft Teams.

On your last comment, it always pleases me to see students who have prepared for the lecture by looking at my notes beforehand. One of the students I had who prepared best arrived with notes already annotated and then proceeded to make further comments upon them as I explained stuff.