rabbitts's Avatar Senior Member

GUITAR Challenge: BiWeek 12 – The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (Lead) - March 2-15

Welcome to the revamped Guitar Challenges!!

Here’s how it works:

• Every two weeks we will select a song that will be the focus of our practice and play during the challenge. The goal here is to create a community environment where we encourage and help one another to improve/polish our guitar playing.

• ANYONE can join in – from absolute beginners to guitar aficionados.

• While practicing in Learn-a-song and Riff Repeater will almost certainly be a part of challenge, each participant will eventually need to submit a score in Score Attack by the end of the challenge.

• You can complete Score Attack at ANY level of difficulty: Easy, Medium, or Hard.

• To participate, simply reply to this song thread with your level, score, accuracy, and note streak in the title. For example: HSA 1,000,000 | 98% | 389 NS | Next: Kiss - Love Gun.

• Your song choice for the next challenge should also be listed in your title or post.

• If you want, you can also post a screenshot from your Score Attack in your post.

• If you improve your score at any time during the challenge period, simply revise your earlier post with the new score.

• At the end of the challenge period, we will choose a new song randomly from all the participants’ choices.

Our current challenge song is The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (Lead). This challenge will run from March 2nd - 15th 2020.

MSA 88,798 | 90.07% | 52 ns | Toto - Hold the Line (L)

Too bendy for me....

ESA 97,495 | 92.3% | 54 ns

Better

ESA 205,375 | 97.43% | 57 ns

Passed MSA

MSA 67,478 | 87.5% | 44 ns

MSA 88,798 | 90.07% | 52 ns

SkyMoose's Avatar Member

HSA 856,967 | 95.04% | 147 NS | Disturbed - Voices (Lead)

March 4 - HSA 497,591 | 94.85% | 146 NS - My favorite Stones song! It's crazy bendy! So fun to play. I'll keep working on this one!

March 5 - HSA 856,967 | 95.04% | 147 NS - Had a great run with the bends tonight. Jumped up to 7 on the leader boards.

Z1ronJones's Avatar Member

MSA 71,369 | 87.86% | 40 ns |

05.03. Welcome to the temple of bends
    MSA 71,369 | 87.86% | 40 ns |

sings_in_tune's Avatar Moderator
    Southern Ontario, ...................... Canada
    MSA 342,347 | 95.95% | 90 NS | Next: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground (RHYTHM)

Wow! Sometimes it just seems more tolerant than usual. I doubt I'll do better than this.

So, can you guys just read the note highway and bend the right amount for each bend? or do you go through it note by note and try to memorize how to play them?

I realize one arrow is a half-step bend, two is a full step, etc. but looking at the strings the amt of bend does not always seem to correlate to increments of half steps. And sometimes they are so close together, it seems there is no info at all for the second bend.

Or do you mostly do it by ear? Which would require you to memorize the notes.

March 6th - ESA 80,402 | 92.3% | 36 NS |

SkyMoose's Avatar Member
    So, can you guys just read the note highway and bend the right amount for each bend? or do you go through it note by note and try to memorize how to play them?

I realize one arrow is a half-step bend, two is a full step, etc. but looking at the strings the amt of bend does not always seem to correlate to increments of half steps. And sometimes they are so close together, it seems there is no info at all for the second bend.

Or do you mostly do it by ear? Which would require you to memorize the notes.

My first run through:
    ESA 80,402 | 92.3% | 36 NS |
    It's a little of both knowing or memorizing the song and being familiar enough with reading RS notation that you can quickly identify what is needed. This song is a little tricky near the end when there are many bent notes in a row. It's hard to quickly decipher if it's just the first not bent up and then consecutive notes played at that bend or to bend each individual note. With these sections, I try to figure out what it sounds like it's doing but repetition definitely makes these sections easier. If worse comes to worst, slow it right down in Riff Repeater to become familiar with a particular phrase. Good luck!!!

MartynQ's Avatar Senior Member

HSA 1,460,623 | 290 ns | 98.66% - next: Runaway Train (L)

Wednesday 11th: HSA 1,460,623 | 290 NS | 98.66%. This is my third attempt on Hard and was wayyyyy better than I could have hoped for. A great long streak when lots of bends were caught just right. I doubt I'll be so lucky again with the bend detection in the first 2/3 of the song!

Next song: Soul Asylum - Runaway Train (Lead)

[I wasn't planning to choose a song as I was supposed to be away on holiday. Let's just say that ain't happening for obvious reasons!]

RollingStone222's Avatar Senior Member

HSA 1,525,047 | 99.04% | 284 NS | Ghost - Cirice (Lead)

HSA 219,842 | 92.38% | 75NS | Next:

Hideous and out of time....

I meant to post this earlier....I really hope everyone is doing ok...especially the folks across both ponds.

Sorry about your holiday, MartynQ I'll be spending my spring break putting my classes online so I can sympathize a bit. Hopefully the world will go back to normal soon....