I turned on my computer to check the weather and traffic and it started up as normal, then suddenly shut down. I tried several more times and the same thing happened, then I looked at the pc screen and I got this message:

"USB over charge detected. PC will shut down in 15 seconds."

I tried disconnecting all my usb devices and still got this message and the shut down.

I just got to work and am googling for solutions but don't really see anything concrete, I've seen recommendations to flash the BIOS (not sure how I'd do that if the computer keeps shutting down), or press delete to select default BIOS settings, or else the USB ports are fried????

I have a P6T motherboard, by the way.

This is one message I see on this page:

http://www.computing.net/answe...detected/168737.html

"In that case I'm afraid your USB ports are damaged due to built-in over-current protection mechanism being blown. I think you may be able to use the PC without USB if there is an option to disable USB features via BIOS setup. we need more specifications of the PC you have in order to determine the appropriate BIOS hot key"
    Here's another piece of advice from Yahoo answers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/quest...0100210110118AAVzv4n

restart your pc & press del button continuously and go for BIOS & there you choose advanced options & chose load default &then save . it will work
    These guys say to flash the BIOS...

http://forums.techguy.org/hard...status-detected.html

So...what do you guys think? I need help within the next 8 hours so I can go home and try out any fixes. Remember I won't have the internet unless I can get the rig up and running. My poor baby!

Actually I just found this tech support thread, and this stands out because I do have a broken USB port in the front of my HAF 932 case:

http://www.tomshardware.com/fo...status-detected-quot

I just solved this problem on my computer. I tried all the solutions told on this forum and it is definitely caused by USB. One of my frontal USB slots is kinda broken. I remembered later that I tried to insert a portable hdd to that USB slot and then realised that it is the broken one, and switch it to another empty slot. That might cause the problem to occur but it didn't come out till I reboot.

So my suggestion is if you have any problem with your USB slot; if you have a broken or damaged slot, you should unplug the cable belongs to that USB slot from the motherboard.
    Two of the USB ports on the front of my case are broken because the crappy little piece of metal that separates them came out so I can't plug anything into them. I tried jamming the piece back in there but it never worked again and my thought is this piece might have cause a short. So I'd like to try and unplug the wires connecting those ports to the mobo, any tips for doing that? I've had this computer for 2 years and did not build it and have never had to deal with any connections to the mobo at all so I don't really know what to look for or how to tell the wires from one usb port from the ones next to it. Hopefully it's pretty clear when I open the case though I think that part of the case is buried under a lot of stuff like the DVD drive and hard drive, we'll see.

steve_v's Avatar Senior Member
    have never had to deal with any connections to the mobo at all so I don't really know what to look for or how to tell the wires from one usb port from the ones next to it.
    Its very simple. Here's a link that gives some visuals of what you'll see. It won't be hard at all to recognize the usb wiring and mobo socket.

http://www.directron.com/installusb.html

You've done such a good job detecting the problem source, the rest will be a cake walk.

Thanks man, that looks complicated but I printed it out and hopefully it makes sense when I have the pc opened up in front of me. Hopefully it's just a matter of disconnecting the front USB ports. I hope this "over charge" didn't fry some important component like the motherboard, though it sounds like what I'm getting is a failsafe to prevent that from happening in the first place.

If that is the case, does anyone know of a good plug-in USB hub I could use so I can have more USB ports again? I need quite a few when playing Il-2 especially--rudder pedals, flight stick, track IR, mouse, keyboard, etc. I have a flimsy-looking NEC one I got at some point (I think it came with the pc) but it seems like some of its ports don't work or cause problems with stuff I plug in like my ipod.

Hmm well I removed that broken piece of metal from the broken USB port and the pc turned on and is working like normal...I guess at some point I should just disconnect the broken ports from the motherboard right?

I guess at some point I should just disconnect the broken ports from the motherboard right?
    Yes, me thinks that'd be a very good idea...

If you are looking for a USB hub, make sure it's a powered one. Alternative could be a PCI card with 4 (3?) USB ports on it, if you've got a spare PCI slot in your PC that is...

Yeah I guess I'll try and disconnect it tomorrow.

The P6T motherboard has 6 usb ports in the back then the case has those 4 in the front with 2 of them currently damaged, the other 2 seem fine. I guess 8 is enough really but I'll look into a powered hub if I need it.

I have a Belkin 5-port PCIe USB card which I use as the permanent connection for my CH HOTAS and my TrackIR. It has made a useful addition to my setup as I can now use the ports higher up the back of my case for items that aren't plugged in all the time. I've had it for a year now and it works flawlessly. Just remember to hang on to the driver disc that comes with it.

B

I was thinking more like something like this that you plug in to a usb port and then you plug in other usb devices into it, sort of like an extension cord that gives you more outlets:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...Item=N82E16817394056

I guess the 8 ports I already have is ok but it does mean I have to rearrange stuff like when I plug in my camera and other devices.

steve_v's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
    I was thinking more like something like this that you plug in to a usb port and then you plug in other usb devices into it, sort of like an extension cord that gives you more outlets:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...Item=N82E16817394056

I guess the 8 ports I already have is ok but it does mean I have to rearrange stuff like when I plug in my camera and other devices.

From your apprehension concerning a hands on experience, I am guessing your computer is a custom build rather than a proprietary box. The "P6T motherboard" indicates an Asus based on Intel's socket 1366 X58 chipset which makes full use of the Nehalem micro-architecture. You have a lot of untapped potential at your disposal. The Belkin powered hub you linked is described as featuring "one USB 2.0 upstream port to connect the hub and your computer and seven USB 2.0 downstream ports for connection to a variety of USB devices." In contrast, Brando's suggestion has 5 usb ports directly connected via a dedicated PCIe x1 slot. I would like to up the suggestion to an USB 3.0 PCIe card as your board has enough throughput to support it. The controller card will be able to migrate with you in future builds as PCIe is here to stay and a solid investment.

Anyway, its something to think about if the need arises in the future for expansion.