A very good suggestion from Steve to upgrade with a USB 3.0 PCIe card. You will have much more bandwidth with USB 3.0, and make your system a little more future-proof.
    USB 3.0 is downward compatible with USB 2.0, so you can plug in your USB 2.0 devices too.
    A 2-port USB3 PCIe x1 would cost somewhere in the US$20-ish

The cost involved should not break the bank.

Oh and yes, disconnect those broken USB ports so they can't short-out your PSU. You can't use them anyway if they're broken.

Originally posted by steve_v:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
    I was thinking more like something like this that you plug in to a usb port and then you plug in other usb devices into it, sort of like an extension cord that gives you more outlets:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...Item=N82E16817394056

I guess the 8 ports I already have is ok but it does mean I have to rearrange stuff like when I plug in my camera and other devices.

From your apprehension concerning a hands on experience, I am guessing your computer is a custom build rather than a proprietary box. The "P6T motherboard" indicates an Asus based on Intel's socket 1366 X58 chipset which makes full use of the Nehalem micro-architecture. You have a lot of untapped potential at your disposal. The Belkin powered hub you linked is described as featuring "one USB 2.0 upstream port to connect the hub and your computer and seven USB 2.0 downstream ports for connection to a variety of USB devices." In contrast, Brando's suggestion has 5 usb ports directly connected via a dedicated PCIe x1 slot. I would like to up the suggestion to an USB 3.0 PCIe card as your board has enough throughput to support it. The controller card will be able to migrate with you in future builds as PCIe is here to stay and a solid investment.

Anyway, its something to think about if the need arises in the future for expansion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I didn't build it. That might be a good idea at some point to go for 3.0 though I don't really have any problem with 2.0. Where would one of those USB cards go, horizontally in the back of the computer like an audio card or graphics card?

And I disconnected those broken USB ports, or at least I think I did. It took me a while but finally I figured out how to take off the top piece on my HAF 932 case which has those 2 broken USB ports. It has a little card sort of thing connected to the ports with plugs and I disconnected the ones that a wiring diagram showed were connected to the busted ports. I think that did it...

The PCIe x1 type is the small connector on your motherboard. It would be somewhere you couls plug in a card with the backplate filling a slot at the back of the case.

The x## describes the width of the PCIe bus. x1 is the smallest. then you have x4 and x16.
    The wider the bus, the faster it can handle data.
    There is a picture showing them in this wikipedia article

Help!

I just signed up to ask a question & I'm not sure how to make a new thread.

I had this problem after a windows update and I had my phone plugged into the front (broken) USB port.
    I tried pressing ESC a few times, every time the computer would turn off after 15 seconds and it would take about 10 seconds before it started turning back on. Now it won't turn on at all, help?

When I try to turn the computer on, no beeps or noise, just a blinking green light on the motherboard.

Sow Your Money

Some people are born with money management skills. They are super pro in managing and saving their Money. While others are not so good at stretching a dollar. Maybe it is quite confusing for them to keep track of their expenses, which makes them end up spending more than they should.
    Sow Your Money

TV Antenna Service in Sydney that you can trust!

If you live around Sydney and you are looking for a trusted and expert antenna installer who really knows what to do, check the residential TV Antenna Installation Service of Sydney Cabling. I'm sure you will like how they work. You can also check in the google reviews how they really work on these antenna installation or repairs services.

If you want to install antenna by yourself though, this might help

Originally Posted by sachelharrison Go to original post
    If you live around Sydney and you are looking for a trusted and expert antenna installer who really knows what to do, check the residential TV Antenna Installation Service of Sydney Cabling. I'm sure you will like how they work. You can also check in the google reviews how they really work on these antenna installation or repairs services.
    Installing antenna is hard and dangerous. We know, that's why we have also prepared these tips for a perfect and safe antenna installation at home. Follow these steps, stay safe and always take care.

remove that broken piece of metal from the broken USB port and the pc turned on and is working like normal.
    look at this site