Testing grounds, Trading skills for Rock, paper, scissors?

Been playing the testing grounds alot (on console) and just dont like the indicator changes that were made. I understand that you dont want everything to be reactable, and that ubi see's this as an answer to that instead of working on each character individually. But this blanket buff is kind of ridiculous. You all said this was supposed to minimize light spamming and force you to make "reads", but that isn't what's happening at all.

It's doing the exact opposite, promoting mindless swinging just because you know that 9/10 your opponent wont block you. I didnt spend all this time learning how to react to fast lights and delayed attacks etc. Just so you could make take it away and make it almost gaurenteed that someone takes damage.

There was NOTHING wrong with For Honor's skill ceiling, you are trying to bridge a skill gap for what? So that a person who has slower reactions than me can feel better? Like wtf. How hard it is to "get good" at this game is part of the reason why I like it so much, now its like you are trying to let newer/weaker players compete in places/situations where they SHOULD be getting stomped.

I understand wanting players to get hit more, and I also understand that you guys dont like how slow paced veterans fight each other. What I dont understand is why you this is the direction you all are choosing to go. Ubi was making amazing changes for character i.e warlord. Yea it took awhile but now hes really good, has a viable offense and everything. We already have characters that have proven that we dont need a bunch of hidden indicator 300ms bs lol.

If you want characters to have a better offense this is NOT the way. You need to do this on a character by character basis. Otherwise you get testing ground 4v4 modes where it's a literal slug fest and everybody's winning. I dont really care too much about the other things in TG, damage numbers need fixing but that's doable, and I dont think that there should be zero stamina punishes on block and parry, it only needed a reduction.
     3 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Eastside_Legacy Go to original post
    Been playing the testing grounds alot (on console) and just dont like the indicator changes that were made. I understand that you dont want everything to be reactable, and that ubi see's this as an answer to that instead of working on each character individually. But this blanket buff is kind of ridiculous. You all said this was supposed to minimize light spamming and force you to make "reads", but that isn't what's happening at all.

It's doing the exact opposite, promoting mindless swinging just because you know that 9/10 your opponent wont block you. I didnt spend all this time learning how to react to fast lights and delayed attacks etc. Just so you could make take it away and make it almost gaurenteed that someone takes damage.

There was NOTHING wrong with For Honor's skill ceiling, you are trying to bridge a skill gap for what? So that a person who has slower reactions than me can feel better? Like wtf. How hard it is to "get good" at this game is part of the reason why I like it so much, now its like you are trying to let newer/weaker players compete in places/situations where they SHOULD be getting stomped.

I understand wanting players to get hit more, and I also understand that you guys dont like how slow paced veterans fight each other. What I dont understand is why you this is the direction you all are choosing to go. Ubi was making amazing changes for character i.e warlord. Yea it took awhile but now hes really good, has a viable offense and everything. We already have characters that have proven that we dont need a bunch of hidden indicator 300ms bs lol.

If you want characters to have a better offense this is NOT the way. You need to do this on a character by character basis. Otherwise you get testing ground 4v4 modes where it's a literal slug fest and everybody's winning. I dont really care too much about the other things in TG, damage numbers need fixing but that's doable, and I dont think that there should be zero stamina punishes on block and parry, it only needed a reduction.
    Totally agreed, the speed changes feels really awful when playing against an orochi or something, the chance of my winning is a 33%, of parrying is 16.5%, so im basically always loosing and having a chance that 1 in 10 attacks will be parried meanwhile the attack has 66% chances to hit me and if i try to parry that chance get's increased to 83.5%.

It's really attacker favored and it's no longer a 50/50 but a 33/66, so that means if i try to fight against an orochi which can throw out omnidirectional attacks at 300ms, it's already to a point of which people can't even react to block, a normal choice reaction is around 250ms-300ms.

Changes really hinder my gameplay and make my defense useless, i feel like im unable to play when spammed to death by "delayed" lights which i can't fully react to.
    It's almost as if you attacked first you win, and with that crazy frame advantage thing, you can just wait and hopefully parry.

It has gotten to a point where im reading the opponents light and trying to line up a parry but i fail because i can't react, the concept of completely reading the opponet is really strange and hard to pull off, not to mention that you have to input a parry 166ms before the attack hits or something which in itself is hard to pull off .

This update made defense, the whole domain with parries blocks and all really, weak and less reliable, to a point where i think dropping your whole defense and just going full out attacking and rolling/dodging away when needed.
    it'll become some sort of dark souls where you got no block, but parries which can easily be baited into high damaging or staggering punishes.
    If the update goes live i just hope the 100ms reduction is lowered to 33ms or something and it will absolutely change the meta into a fast attack one, and with reading being so inconsistent, ill probably drop the game and move on.

Originally Posted by Okt0g00N Go to original post

It's really attacker favored and it's no longer a 50/50 but a 33/66, so that means if i try to fight against an orochi which can throw out omnidirectional attacks at 300ms, it's already to a point of which people can't even react to block, a normal choice reaction is around 250ms-300ms.

It has gotten to a point where im reading the opponents light and trying to line up a parry but i fail because i can't react, the concept of completely reading the opponet is really strange and hard to pull off, not to mention that you have to input a parry 166ms before the attack hits or something which in itself is hard to pull off .

This update made defense, the whole domain with parries blocks and all really, weak and less reliable, to a point where i think dropping your whole defense and just going full out attacking and rolling/dodging away when needed.
    it'll become some sort of dark souls where you got no block, but parries which can easily be baited into high damaging or staggering punishes.
    If the update goes live i just hope the 100ms reduction is lowered to 33ms or something and it will absolutely change the meta into a fast attack one, and with reading being so inconsistent, ill probably drop the game and move on.
    So as it stands if these TG changes go live orochi will have 300ms lights?

PapillonFlota's Avatar Member
    I mostly didn't like the proposed changes and I'm a pk main.

I DESTROYED EVERYONE. Seriously.

But winning like this is cheap, this made feints and baits irrelevant, a lazy approach that punish experience and skill.

The argument being the reflex capacity of the players now will not determine the outcome of the matches.

Bollocks.
    I kill everyone easily without any skill just lights some feint with GB and That's it. High level players with premium chars.

Why?? Because they cannot interrupt my pk cause my pk is faster with her lights. So keep that argument for yourselves devs, maybe it sounds great on paper but is poorly implemented.

You can try to just Give more chip damage on blocking and change the stamina penalties to parrying for less stamina drain, also with some damage nerf on punishes and in that way disencourage turtling. Or let the damage as it is and just made parry Windows shorter.

No need for this lights fest.

Also if you must, hide the marker for 33 MS not 100. And preferably just for assassins because we are handicapped with low everything and ugly reaction guard.