UbiBard's Avatar Community Manager

Weapon Crafting/Gunsmith Feedback

As we move forward with Ghost Recon Breakpoint, we want to hear your thoughts and suggestions on several topics. When it comes to things like Crafting/Gunsmith feedback, we are happy to take in your requests and recommendations across the forums, but we also want to encourage sharing them collectively here.

Mega Threads like this will help us with keeping all the different information and conversations in one place. Please keep any suggestions and ensuing discussion respectful and in accordance with our forum rules, as we want to keep this thread populated and productive. For more information on how to structure your posts in the forums, see here.

Thanks!
     2 people found this helpful

Either remove crafting or make it essential. It's currently just an annoyance. Make medic more relevant to single players (the majority) by giving the class a craft bonus towards 'health' items.

Gunsmith feedback, go play Wildlands and future soldier. How did we have a app for gunsmith in 2012 but now the actual game doesn't have it! Progress.
     3 people found this helpful

Edcrophilia's Avatar Member
    The Wildlands gunsmith was far superior to this one.
    ASR
    The ability to assign fire select (Semi, Burst, Full Auto) should be native to all models in the ASR category.
    Additionally if the rifle has a rail or keymod system then all attachments should be available (scopes, lasers, underbarrels). Caliber conversion would also be nice, 5.56, 7.62, 5.7, .300blk, 6.8spc

SMG
    The Smg class should have selective fire and interchangeable barrels of differing lengths. Not all models need semi, however, only one smg currently has semi automatic fire.

LMG
    Not much needs to change here in my opinion, though suppressors for the shortened versions would be nice.

VARIANTS
    Make variants part of gunsmith. Instead of unlocking a variant, give the ability to unlock variant parts through gameplay. (Short barrels, new handguards, trigger kits, cosmetics like foliage {moss} camoflauge)

Thanks, even though I feel that every suggestion I just made will be ignored.
     8 people found this helpful

I'll be sure to post more on this thread, in the future. I these would be a fine addition to the game.
    Tac 50 with a short barrel

SR25 - wish it was in the game

MK18

416 Shorty - should have the 60 rd magpul drum mag as the stock and attachments are made specifically around the drum mag - real life counter part was the Hera Arms CQR
     4 people found this helpful

TrickShady's Avatar Senior Member
    Just give us a decent gunsmith again.
     1 people found this helpful

The Weapons also desperately need a Balance for PVP. The VHS D2 and Bullpup PDR are the commonly most used guns in the game due to the fire rate and damage and great handling. How can a Bullpup PDR (5.56) have 43 damage where a 516 Shorty (5.56) has 23? ( Both have the same firerate, the PDR also has better handling and accuracy). If you want to balance the weapons add the damage value to the caliber not the gun and make sure that the caliber matches the correct firearm. For example the 5.56 does 38 damage where the 7.62 does 43 damage. The 5.56 would have a faster fire rate and lower recoil as compared to the 7.62 but have less range. SMG's should have less range than Assualt rifles, - Barrel length should have an effect on range. If Suppressors are going to be in PVP there should be no minimap marker as they already reduce the damage and effectiveness of the weapon * exact opposite of how there perform in real life. Also the 50 cal snipers should be one shot to the upper torso like how the MSR performed in Wildlands. The slow fire rate of the Tac 50 compared to the Scorpio with it having to be a 2 shot makes it a no brainer as by the time that you shoot your first round with the Tac 50 the Scorpio has fired 2. In PVP the weapon values should be the same. The tiered loot should not have any effect in PVP. A PDR should have the same values as every PDR, MK17 should be the same across the board, etc. They added the Tiered loot to entice players to try new weapons. If you want people to try new things balance them out, think thoroughly about the benefits of each weapon and how they affect gameplay, and only allow one weapon for PVP to make people make a tactical decision. If they are going to be a sniper then thats all they get. Everyone runs an assault and a sniper and the vast majority will try and snipe in the bushes and then melt someone when they get close. There is no risk in you weapon choices. For the love of God test the weapons out before implementing them.
     4 people found this helpful

It would be nice if it was possible to not have a default loadout for each class or to apply the same item across all loadouts.

For example:

I typically play with 1 class, yet to upgrade my current gear and dismantle no longer used items it requires going to a bivouac and tediously going through each class to equip the newer item and dismantle the one no longer needed - it just feels unnecessary.
     3 people found this helpful

solokiller's Avatar Senior Member
    Disclaimer: i am not an expert on weapons. So if i get something wrong, please correct me.

Gunsmith should let you start with a caliber and a receiver and build a gun around it. All of the attachments compatible with it should be usable.

List of components that should be available:

• General:

• Calibers (decides receiver)
    • Ammo types
      • Standard FMJ ammo
        • The ammo we have right now

• Subsonic
        • Smaller audible radius compared to all other ammo types (-25%)
        • Reduced damage vs everything
        • Reduced range, faster bullet drop off
        • Reduced effectiveness vs armored targets (can't kill heavily armored targets at all, meaning shooting heavies anywhere other than the head is ineffective, and drones can only be damaged if weak points are hit)
        • Direct upgrade for stealth playstyles

• Hollow point
        • Larger audible radius (+10%)
        • Increased damage to unarmored human targets
        • Will produce heavier impact to armored human targets (can knock over lightly armored humans unprepared for the hit)
        • Reduced damage to drones
        • Direct upgrade if going for headshots only

• Armor piercing
        • Larger audible radius (+20%)
        • Overpenetrates unarmored human targets, leading to bullets hitting whatever's behind, can be another target, or an object that makes noise on impact (reduced stealth capacity)
        • Pierces through human worn armor like vests and helmets
        • Pierces through drone armor to damage the meaty parts directly
        • Increased recoil
        • Slightly reduced damage
        • Essentially a direct upgrade to FMJ in combat, but balanced by lack of supplies (see other feedback i'm going to post elsewhere)

• Explosive
        • Larger audible radius (+30%)
        • Dramatically increased recoil
        • Blasts drone armor off
        • LOUD

• Incendiary
        • Larger audible radius (+30%)
        • Increased recoil
        • Reduced damage
        • Lower range
        • Can set flammable materials on fire (dry grass, fuel, etc)

• Dragon's Breath
        • Larger audible radius (+50%)
        • Shotguns only
        • Limited range
        • LOUD
        • Reduced pellet damage
        • Not compatible with silencers (see article for reason why)

• Exacto
        • Larger audible radius (+10%)
        • Louder noise when whizzing past the heads of enemies, promotes usage against isolated targets
        • Sniper rifles only
        • Locks on to human heads, no use against drones
        • Reduced damage and range
        • Counters bullet drop if target is in range

• Receivers (lower & upper)
      • Add receiver options to let us swap between one that has a rail on top and one that does not. When no rail is present optics should be mounted using pre-rail mounting options, i.e. make it look like a weapon from the Cold War. There are Cold War bases all over the place, we should be finding these versions. Also some weapons have a carrying handle that optics are mounted on (M4 & M16 for example)

• Trigger groups (1, 2, 3 trigger states)
    • Trigger options
      • single shot
      • burst (2 & 3 round)
      • full auto
      • match (Semi auto only. Faster follow up shot time, was in Future Soldier. Best implemented as a reduced delay before another shot can be made since not everybody has controllers to use pressure sensitive pulls with)

• Grips (can offer the handling stat)

• Magazines
      • 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 100, 150, 200 round magazines. Different weapons have different sizes available. Make the sizes make sense, none of that 15 round magazine stuff for DMRs when they should be using 10/20 round magazines. Breakpoint isn't even consistent with Wildlands much less reality
      • Magazine types
        • STANAG
        • PMAG (link is to AR-15 and similar platforms, but they exist for a number of weapon platforms)
        • Other magazine designs

• Magazine grips (can offer the reload speed stat)
        • Magpuls (work with STANAG)
        • Ranger plates (PMAG)

• Couplers:
        • Couple magazines together for faster reloading every other magazine (alternate for magazine grips, can provide higher stat boost but only every other magazine to balance it out)

• Magwell
        • Seems to be aimed at the civilian market so i don't know. Cosmetic only is probably best since people don't seem to like this very much.

• Drum magazines
        • Slower reload speed
        • No ranger plate/magpul to provide a reload speed stat, could come up with a fictional rubber jacket to add that stat
        • Larger magazine size, LMG size basically
        • Reduced handling and mobility

• Stocks
      • Stub/no stock
      • Retractable
      • Telescoping
      • Fixed
      • Cheek rest (could be add-on for stocks that support it instead of alternate versions)
      • Ammo holder for reload speed bonus (cosmetic for weapons that don't allow inserting single rounds but still support a holder, so mostly useful for shotguns and bolt action rifles that still allow loading one round at a time)

• Barrels
      • These are all barrel lengths for the 416 and 417, the lengths in mm are rounded:
        • 10.3 inches (260 mm)
        • 11 inches (280 mm)
        • 13 inches (330 mm)
        • 14.5 inches (370 mm)
        • 16.5 inches (420 mm)
        • 20 inches (510 mm)

• The point being, let us change barrels. Short, medium, long, the works

• Handguards
      • Different size hanguards that depend on whether they're compatible with the barrel. Longer handguards should have more space on the rails meaning more attachments on the same rail (e.g. sniper optic + laser on top, bipod + foregrip on bottom)

• Rails:
      • Top, bottom, side rails. Rework the system to support multiple attachments on the same rail if there's space.
      • Aiming supports
        • ATPIAL (visible in NVG, for squadmates too please since that bug resurfaced from Wildlands)
        • ATPIALx3
        • MAWL-DA
          • The page linked above also has a video that shows the MAWL in use, it can be configured to work like an IR flashlight of sorts as well as a focused beam. It also shows how night vision should look like in-game

• Flashlights, both visible light and IR (see MAWL-DA above)
        • OTR scanner (from Future Soldier). Provides automatic marking support. Cooperates with player equipment sensor to extend range to match current sixth sense + automatic marking stat range.

• Optics
        • Allow all optics as long as the rail supports it. No i don't mean to not allow all optics just because it can't fit one of them. I mean allow any optic that can fit. Acogs were made for the M4 and M16 yet we can't use it on that one, nor the 416 and 516
        • In addition to all optics current in-game, more should be added:

• x12 scopes
        • Separate the G33 from optics and allow adding a G33 as long as there is room. Yes i do really mean letting us put a G33 in front of a x6 sniper scope
        • Magnetic vision scope from Future Soldier
        • Thermal vision scope

• Grips

• Underbarrel equipment

• Muzzles:
      • Threaded muzzle for silencer attachment
      • Silencers
        • Square
        • Round (we asked for this for Wildlands too)
        • For those weapons that use it, a silencer that fits over the barrel. The M110 and SR-25 have this. The M110A1 does not, so both should be supported as configurable options in Gunsmith.

• Compensator
      • Muzzle brake
      • Flash hider

• Gas systems:
      • Change the rounds per minute (RPM) by changing the gas system. Future Soldier has this.
      • Not all weapons use gas systems, but to avoid driving designers nuts it might be easier to roll with "every weapon uses gas systems".

• Weight system: each component has a weight associated with it. The heavier the weight the lower the mobility. Some components also improve or reduce mobility. This affects weapon performance in combat.
    • Durability system: All components have durability. Low durability components can fail and require maintenance a la Far Cry 2. Players can perform maintenance at bivouacs to clean components and avoid failure. Broken components require repair. Ties into the weight system.
      • I'm not a fan of weapon durability systems myself, but i'm listing it here because people have suggested it before. Consider adding it as a custom game "hardcore" option that can be toggled on for realism and immersion.

• Material types: Each component can be chosen to be made out of a material with a specific weight:
      • Lightweight: Lower overall weight, better mobility. Increased recoil due to weapon not counterweighting the recoil. Lowest durability.
      • Medium weight: Average everything. Basically +0 on all stats.
      • Heavyweight material: Higher overall weight, worse mobility. Reduced recoil. Highest durability. Allows for "heavy barrel" configuration.
      • Can also be used to determine effectiveness of melee attacks when performed with weapons a la Wildlands.

For pistols specifically:
    • Magazine options like in Wildlands
    • Magazine sizes that match reality, just like DMRs needing to do so
    • Ability to add a rail on top that can take optics
    • Trigger options just like rifles have so you can use match triggers and the like. This includes burst and full auto options for those pistols that allow it (Beretta 93R, machine pistols)
    • Silencer options for machine pistols so they're useful
    • Special note for the Desert Eagle: it supports multiple calibers and some of those have a round or 2 extra per magazine. This should be reflected in-game

• Underbarrel options for machine pistols

That should do it for now.
     21 people found this helpful

Honestly, one of the biggest things that are missing from Wildlands are variable barrel lengths that we can choose from, as well as stocks. Gunsmith in general was needlessly neutered to accomodate the variants in order to help them stand out more against the standard models, and there was no reason to do this. In addition, I don't know why so many weapons are so damn limited in attachments. It serves no purpose other than, much like the last issue, artificially creating dissonance between weapons, when in fact a picatinny rail is meant to accommodate anything that can fit it. Let us use just about any attachment, scope, fore-grip, etc we want on our guns. I guarantee the players care a lot less about the minor balancing issues resulting from customization in a PVE-focused game than the game developers do. Keep that nonsense to PVP, if it matters that much; PVE doesn't benefit from less options.

Seriously, just bring back variable barrel lengths and give us some more stocks we can choose from, particularly on ARs. Also, if it can fit on the rail, let us mount it! The fact that I can't put an ACOG on an M4A1 is an absolutely bonkers design decision considering it's probably the most common weapons platform for it to be mounted on! Let us mount any foregrip, vertical or angled, on a rifle, because I guarantee they're probably used in real life.

There are numerous guns that have incorrect magazine capacities. The ones that immediately come to mind are the G28, SCAR-H/MK-17, and some of the pistols. You can find the correct magazine capacities with a quick wikipedia search, so there's no excuse for not knowing the correct amount. Yes, this will result in some guns being preferable within a certain role, but seeing as those guns were likely designed with overcoming current limitations of various weapons within that role in mind, that's perfectly acceptable. Again, screw balancing; neutering a gun's ammo capacity in the name of some vague balancing effort has no real benefit to PVE.

And this is a more minor complaint, but the visual wear on the guns seems a bit bugged. I can renew paint in Gunsmith only to exit and see the gun in the same condition as before (or even worse). The dirt/mud system also STILL seems a bit overused on the weapons, in spite of the definite improvements, with dirt appearing on my pistol, for example, even though I have not been prone and the gun has been in the holster the whole time. It's kind of weird, as if my operator gives his guns daily mud baths and throws them down flights of stairs once a day. I think a good solution is to replace the "renew paint" option with an ability to choose and hard-lock the gun's condition, as well as an option in the...well options to turn of limit dirt buildup on weapons.
     5 people found this helpful

Edcrophilia's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by J-Lead Go to original post
    Honestly, one of the biggest things that are missing from Wildlands are variable barrel lengths that we can choose from, as well as stocks. Gunsmith in general was needlessly neutered to accomodate the variants in order to help them stand out more against the standard models, and there was no reason to do this. In addition, I don't know why so many weapons are so damn limited in attachments. It serves no purpose other than, much like the last issue, artificially creating dissonance between weapons, when in fact a picatinny rail is meant to accommodate anything that can fit it. Let us use just about any attachment, scope, fore-grip, etc we want on our guns. I guarantee the players care a lot less about the minor balancing issues resulting from customization in a PVE-focused game than the game developers do. Keep that nonsense to PVP, if it matters that much; PVE doesn't benefit from less options.

Seriously, just bring back variable barrel lengths and give us some more stocks we can choose from, particularly on ARs. Also, if it can fit on the rail, let us mount it! The fact that I can't put an ACOG on an M4A1 is an absolutely bonkers design decision considering it's probably the most common weapons platform for it to be mounted on! Let us mount any foregrip, vertical or angled, on a rifle, because I guarantee they're probably used in real life.

There are numerous guns that have incorrect magazine capacities. The ones that immediately come to mind are the G28, SCAR-H/MK-17, and some of the pistols. You can find the correct magazine capacities with a quick wikipedia search, so there's no excuse for not knowing the correct amount. Yes, this will result in some guns being preferable within a certain role, but seeing as those guns were likely designed with overcoming current limitations of various weapons within that role in mind, that's perfectly acceptable. Again, screw balancing; neutering a gun's ammo capacity in the name of some vague balancing effort has no real benefit to PVE.

And this is a more minor complaint, but the visual wear on the guns seems a bit bugged. I can renew paint in Gunsmith only to exit and see the gun in the same condition as before (or even worse). The dirt/mud system also STILL seems a bit overused on the weapons, in spite of the definite improvements, with dirt appearing on my pistol, for example, even though I have not been prone and the gun has been in the holster the whole time. It's kind of weird, as if my operator gives his guns daily mud baths and throws them down flights of stairs once a day. I think a good solution is to replace the "renew paint" option with an ability to choose and hard-lock the gun's condition, as well as an option in the...well options to turn of limit dirt buildup on weapons.
    I co-sign everything he just said!
     5 people found this helpful

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... Last ►►