MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi all,

Looking at the RAF Fighter Command Radar and Control system during the Battle of Britain 1940 it has similarities to perhaps the first internet web system. Anyone agree?? Or perhaps not??

Best regards,
    MB_Avro

Yes. About the same as native American smoke-signs.

MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
    Yes. About the same as native American smoke-signs.
    Ok...I am dumb and stupid...I'll delete this post. Thanks for your thoughtful and intellectual post regarding an historical discussion..

Best regards,
    MB_Avro

slipBall's Avatar Senior Member
    That's true, probably the main reason that Britain even survived. The German's never realized the importance of that new fangled invention

vocatx's Avatar Senior Member
    Actually, I have read several articles in the past few years that do make the connection between the internet and the British communication system. If you diagram it out, there is a striking resemblence between the two. So, yes, I would tend to agree. It's not the technologically sophisticated network we have today, but I would say it's the "grand-daddy" of the internet.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    In terms of the logical structure of the sytem, vaguely similar. In terms of the technical realisation, the only similarity is that it was mostly done over copper wire.

Thta is because any communication system sblished over a non reliable envoronment but that needs to be reliable will have to be very simmilar to this concepts.

Have you by any chance seen the four part documentary about the spitfire and its pilot training? Sorry but I can't remember the documentary's name... It mentions that the communication between the radar stations, the bases and the headquarters resembled in a way the internet.

So, if you thought that by yourself, then you are not alone. It has been said by people who have made a quite serious and educational documentary.

Cheers!

Wow, I didn't know Al Gore was that old !

Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
    Hi all,

Looking at the RAF Fighter Command Radar and Control system during the Battle of Britain 1940 it has similarities to perhaps the first internet web system. Anyone agree?? Or perhaps not??

Best regards,
    MB_Avro
    Yes, but only if Al Gore was in the room.